Kekalainen a good GM?

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Well look at the jackets and how it has been turned arround. Stacked up young talent in just a few years.

Their blue line is the youngest in nhl.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
It's not because of Kekalainen that the Blue Jackets are good. I've never heard anyone on HF who's had anything good to say about this clown.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
I think he's a good GM. Top 10? No.

I mean, we have Benning so a panel of HFCanuck posters would be an improvement but I think you get where I'm going with this.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
It's not because of Kekalainen that the Blue Jackets are good. I've never heard anyone on HF who's had anything good to say about this clown.

Do you read every thread on here?

also.. 'Kekalainen's skill as the team's draft guru played a major role in the Blues' rise.

Patrik Berglund, T.J. Oshie, David Perron, Alex Pietrangelo and Vladimir Tarasenko among others were all added to the team during Kekalainen's watch.

Kekalainen's resume includes a stint as director of player personnel with the Ottawa Senators, where he drafted Marian Hossa and Jason Spezza, among others.' http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ts-gm-jarmo-kekalainen-hiring-column/1915915/

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

Oh really? Kekalainen had nothing to do with acquiring Wennberg, Jones, Saad, Werenski, or the hiring of Tortorella?

You seem to be pretty bitter towards him for absolutely no reason. I've always been a believer in Kekalainen and JD. Even when the team was bad under them I thought the moves they made were generally good and changed the fabric of the team's identity.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I honestly thought he was gonna be on his way out especially after the draft. I am completely shocked by how good the Jackets are this year. Happy for their fans.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
A lot of Columbus fans hated his guts over the offseason. But now that they are doing good, I guess you gotta give credit to him. He has an eye for talent. Werenski, is a gonna be a number 1 dmen, jones as well. Murray is a good bet to become a number 2. I don't think the jackets are this good. But they have a lot of pieces and a lot of talent has take a nice step this year with saad, wennerberg, jones, Bob all playing great hockey .

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
Oh please don't fall for that, from the threads made by Mulletman you can pretty easily deduct that he is finnish and likes to either provoke the bit too sensitive finns in here or get some positive comments about them by irrationally bashing the finnish players (or a GM this time).

Like 50% of his threads have something to do with finns.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

He traded for Jones and has build a blueline with Werenski, Jones, Murray, Savard, Johnson, Nutivaara.
He traded for Saad, he signed Gagner.

I'd say he has had a positive impact on the team(this year).

captaincanadian

Aug 5, 2004
Maple Ridge, BC
Threads like these make me laugh. 2 months ago people were bashing on him calling him one of the worst GMs in the league.

HF very much has a "What have you done for me lately" mentality as a whole. It's always been amusing to watch popular website opinion fluctuate on players and personnel based on the last few months showing. It's probably most apparent when following discussion of coaches.

ruunto71*

Jul 5, 2016
I thought he was way over his head when he hired Tortorella, but you can't argue with results

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
remains to be seen, all we know right now is neither of them are ready play in the NHL right now

And other one isn't ready even for AHL. Puljujärvi is much better player and you will see that, he is 18-year old and almost ready to NHL. They don't want send him to AHL because he is too good.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
And other one isn't ready even for AHL. Puljujärvi is much better player and you will see that, he is 18-year old and almost ready to NHL. They don't want send him to AHL because he is too good.

I lolled. Congrats.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
You realize PLD isn't eligible to play in the AHL right? He has played on a garbage team in a garbage league and he is in the process of learning a new position still. He's not even played a total of a season at C yet. Mean while Puljujarvi is playing with the likes of McDavid and Draisaitl and isn't really that impressive. This draft will not be able to be judged for 5 years still. When PLD is 22 we can see if it was a mistake

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
If you take out the drafting (Wennberg, Werenski, Dubois, etc) because it's a bit of a grey area when it comes to evaluating the GM (who had the final say, him or the chief scout?):

The Saad trade was good. Anisimov's numbers are obviously inflated by Kane and Panarin. Dano will be a long time NHL winger in a 2nd or 3rd line role but not a star.

Jones for Johansen looks good and has helped turn their D into a major strength.

Karlsson + 3rd for Wisniewski + 2nd was a theft considering how quickly Wiz crashed.

Hartnell for Umberger's corpse is a solid trade, even though Hartnell's contract remains a bit of an issue.

Gagner was an unreal FA bargain bin signing.

So that's 5 pickups.

I still don't understand how they didn't get a pick for helping the Leafs out of the Clarkson headache.

The rest of the team is essentially Howson's bunch.

He hasn't really made a key mistake, which in nearly 4 years of GMing can't be understated.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think he's a hell of a scout/talent evaluator. Not the best with contracts and cap management, ideally CBJ has an assistant GM who takes care of most of that stuff for him so he can do what he does best, find talent.

I was shocked that he passed on Puljujarvi though, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he's such a good scout and likely has seen Puljujarvi play more than any other GM had prior to the draft.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
GMs are judged on results. There is wiggle room there, but with the crazy amount of success Kekaleinen has created, it's undeniable. He's made a winner. End of story.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad