Keith Yandle...

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I stopped reading when you said "I'd be up for Yandle, but not at the cost of a top 6 forward." You are vastly underrating Yandle. Vastly.

See I don't believe the poster was underrating Yandle, just pointing out that the Bruins simply don't have the depth to give up a top 6 forward at the moment. So you are flat our robbing peter to pay Paul and not getting any better

If you deal Krecji for Yandle. You bump Seguin up to center the first line, that may be an upgrade. Then you move Peverly to replace Seguin, and as much as I like Pevs that downgrades the second line. Problem is, at that point you are left with a 3rd like that is Kelly and 2 AHlers (say Tardiff and Bourque until Caron replaces one of them), and that is a MASSIVE downgrade

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
And you'd be an injury away from Paille or Pandolfo in your top 6. In a season where there's bound to be a ton of injuries.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I would love to have a Yandle like defencemen on the Bruins, a guy who can really skate, but I am not sure if he puts up 40+ points on the Bruins. The Bruins had a few PMD that didn’t work out and some blame ‘the system ‘, which is the all encompassing excuse for everything.

The reason PMD don’t work out is because of Chara. Most teams do not have a stud number one defencemen like the Bruins, they have one defencemen who plays the majority of the offensive time on ice and one who the majority of the defensive time on ice. Chara is a top offensive defencemen in the NHL, while being one of the best defensively he plays in all situations and takes away the offensive situations from that PMD while being more responsible defensively. If we could find another Seidenberg type defencemen, it’s cheaper and probably fit our team better

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
And you'd be an injury away from Paille or Pandolfo in your top 6. In a season where there's bound to be a ton of injuries.

I'd rather deal with an injury with a forward in the top six, than with one in the top 4 on the backend.
Defencemen are more important than forwards, imo.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I'd rather deal with an injury with a forward in the top six, than with one in the top 4 on the backend.
Defencemen are more important than forwards, imo.
After Chara and Seidenberg it's not a huge issue, nobody really stands out 3 through 6. I've been beating the drum on getting another quality D for a while, but the price here is too high.

You have one of the top D prospects in the game coming up, only guy up front that is anywhere near the NHL is Spooner. If you do nothing the problem solves itself, at most they need a short term solution there.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Don't want to insult Yandles friends here but he has always struck me as overrated. Yotes aren't my first choice on Center Ice but I have seen enough where he just wouldn't be a great fit in this system and would more than likely become a board whipping boy. He would be great on the Pens or Flyers or Habs......but not us.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Oh good, this thread again.

You give this group one more year together, they have earned it in my opinion. If they fizzle out before the conference final then you make big shake ups.

Lucic - Seguin - ??????
Marchand - Bergy - ??????
Pevvy - Kelly - ??????
Merlot

Z - Seids
Hamilton - Defenseman acquired for Krech
McQuaid - ???????

You have to assume that Ference and Horton are goners. If we move Krech it is for a top 4 defenseman and that makes Boychuk expendable. He would have to be moved for a forward who can at least pretend to be a top 6.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't like the look of that group of forwards at ALL. Sure, the defense becomes a strength, it better be because that group up front would struggle to score.
This is the lineup created when you trade a center of David Krejci's ability (and now the Krech haters will say "he has no ability"). He balances out the entire group of forwards. We will have one hole in the top 6 to fill in the offseason (when Horton walks), trading Krejci creates another hole. We can not go into an offseason needing two legitimate top 6 forwards.

The only way a Krejci deal works out is if one of the youngsters (Spooner, Knight or Koko) proves they can play top 6 minutes. I don't think any of them are close.

We won a Cup with great goaltending, strong system play, our top 4 on defense and the depth we had up front. Opening up hole througout the top 9 is not a path to success in my opinion.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
After Chara and Seidenberg it's not a huge issue, nobody really stands out 3 through 6. I've been beating the drum on getting another quality D for a while, but the price here is too high.

You have one of the top D prospects in the game coming up, only guy up front that is anywhere near the NHL is Spooner. If you do nothing the problem solves itself, at most they need a short term solution there.
This.

Chiarelli needs to find a defenseman but not at the cost of potentially destroying the depth up front. It can be done but I think he will have to act quickly. Defenseman are going to start dropping like flies and prices will get crazy.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003

I'd be shocked if Dougie gets more than 5 games, let alone makes the roster. Yes, the kid is solid and is great in junior hockey, but that doesn't transition into immediate NHL impact etc. As we've seen before, defencemen take longer to develop, physically and mentally for the pro game. Added to this, we have an intense shortened season, where every game counts. I don't think throwing a kid into the fire in this situation benefits him or the Bruins.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I'd be shocked if Dougie gets more than 5 games, let alone makes the roster. Yes, the kid is solid and is great in junior hockey, but that doesn't transition into immediate NHL impact etc. As we've seen before, defencemen take longer to develop, physically and mentally for the pro game. Added to this, we have an intense shortened season, where every game counts. I don't think throwing a kid into the fire in this situation benefits him or the Bruins.
I think he's a lock to make the team and play limited minutes, but it doesn't matter, either way you only need a short term fix on D. You don't have a guy coming up to make someone else expendable up front the way you do on D. And you've got a very uncertain situation with Horton already, you lose him and trade Krejci, where are you then?

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine

I would rather have Hamilton up on the team and learn the NHL game rather than another plug defenseman that won't have much of an impact or much of anything really other than taking up space as a pylon (Exelby, Johnson).

People *****ed about Seguin and how they wanted him in a slow role last year, then he finally got consistent top 6 minutes and look what he did, lead the team in scoring at 19. Wow look at that, you place a young talented kid in a spot to succeed and he SUCCEEDED! Holy ****, that's amazing! :sarcasm:

I don't buy the whole "he needs to go back to junior, he will struggle this year with the Bruins". So ****ing what if the kid struggles his first year, he has nothing left to learn at the O and has clearly earned the respect as a top D prospect in the whole NHL. IMO put him on the second pair with Seids and let him grow so he can learn and get over that learning curve early so in a year or two he will be ready for top minutes.

My point is to just let the kid play some solid minutes, he has to learn sooner or later, might as well be the sooner. Plus, I think a shortened schedule will benefit young players like Hamilton, less grind through the schedule and play him with the right D partner like Seids and I'm pretty sure that would be a solid second pairing.

Just like Seguin had to learn from Bergeron, I hope Claude does the same with Dougie and slides him next to another good d-man is Seidenberg.

Chara-Boychuk
Seidenberg-Hamilton
Ference-Johnson

Kaoz*

I am not a Krejic hater at all but if the team gets better by trading him I am all for it. I can understand the argument Yandle for Krejci. Not sure I would do it but I get the argument. I don't get the addition of Horton and Boederker. seems like the Bruins are giving up a ton of offense there. Think that would leave our lines up front pretty week.

Lucic - Seguin - Marchand
Boedeker - Bergy - Peverly
Paille - Kelly - Caron?
??-Campbell - Thornton

who am I missing its early and my daughters are screaming in my ear

Doesn't make much sense to me either. You can cover off Krejci with Seguin, but doing so means you already need to replace Seguin as a winger. Replacing Seguin and Horton on the wing makes no sense. Yandle for Krejci and use non roster pieces to cover off what you need to cover off from either side.

Lucic - Seguin - Horton
Marchand - Bergeron - Peverly/Caron
Bourque/Pandolfo - Kelly - Caron/Peverly
Paille - Campbell - Thornton

Pretty solid forward group and the defense is markedly improved. Your depth comes from who ever above doesn't fill that spot on the 3rd line. Then you have kids like McDermid, Spooner, Sauve, Hanson, Knight, Tardif in Providence if you end up with multiple injuries up top.

If you take an injury to your top 6 you move up Caron or Bourque. Kelly if need be as well, it's not like he wasn't put in that role last year when Krejci slumped badly.

More importantly you can now handle an injury on D as well. Adding Yandle means you have two of Hamilton, McQuaid or Johnson sitting in the wings waiting to play as opposed to just one of them. If Hamilton struggles you won't e forced to dress him. Then you have guys like Krug and Bart in provo waiting to jump on a spot as well.

Krejci for Yandle doesn't kill the Bruins depth, nor does it force Paille or Bourque into a top 6 role with an injury... unless of course they deserve the promotion. Add another top 6 forrward into the mix and you can't cover it off though imo, or at the very least you'd be pushing unrealistic expectations on a young guy not yet ready for them.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

^ A voice of reason. The Bruins cant afford losing a top-6 forward. So if the coveted top-4 dman cant be acquired by some combination of picks & prospects (Koko, Knight, etc..), I think an inexpensive vet is their best move.

What team would deal a decent top-4 for a package of picks/ Koko or Knight?

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I think he's a lock to make the team and play limited minutes, but it doesn't matter, either way you only need a short term fix on D. You don't have a guy coming up to make someone else expendable up front the way you do on D. And you've got a very uncertain situation with Horton already, you lose him and trade Krejci, where are you then?

You can apply the same fears to Bergeron, Rask, Chara and others etc. If Chara, Seids or Boychuk get hurt, where are you with Ference or Hamilton in your top 4 etc.. Horton should be fine, barring another incident....which is likely no more/less than Bergeron having one.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I would expect anything for Yandle would be Krejci+. There is no way thats a player for player deal. But damn our Defense would be sexy after that. We have the luxury, I think, of a top 6 forward playing on our 3rd line in Peverly. Move Peverly up to wing and have some prospects battle for the 3rd line spots. Spooner/Knight whoever else. Healthy competition in the locker room is always good. Having your spots already figured out in a season like this can be good, but it also can help players show up every night not knowing their spot is safe. IMO, this is my problem with Lucic. He never really earned his 1st line spot, granted he was killin people left and right but for the last 3 yrs he's been floating around up there and tanking in the playoffs.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I would expect anything for Yandle would be Krejci+. There is no way thats a player for player deal. But damn our Defense would be sexy after that. We have the luxury, I think, of a top 6 forward playing on our 3rd line in Peverly. Move Peverly up to wing and have some prospects battle for the 3rd line spots. Spooner/Knight whoever else. Healthy competition in the locker room is always good. Having your spots already figured out in a season like this can be good, but it also can help players show up every night not knowing their spot is safe. IMO, this is my problem with Lucic. He never really earned his 1st line spot, granted he was killin people left and right but for the last 3 yrs he's been floating around up there and tanking in the playoffs.

:facepalm: I can't even.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't buy the whole "he needs to go back to junior, he will struggle this year with the Bruins". So ****ing what if the kid struggles his first year, he has nothing left to learn at the O and has clearly earned the respect as a top D prospect in the whole NHL.

I don't think he will go back, and I don't think he should go back, but this "He has nothing left to learn line is B.S..

His defensive positioning is weak for a top prospect. His physical game, for a 6'5" player is sub par. Maybe (and just maybe) it would be good for him to learn to push around 18 year olds before he's asked to push around MaxPac or David Clarkson.

I think we keep him because (especially with McQuaid out) there are holes on the D, and I do think he will learn a lot from Julien. But this idea that he is a finished product or that he is dominating players his age isn't true.

He's absolutely a dominating presence on the PP at the JR level. Defensively, he isn't. I can see an argument for letting him develop that.

However, I do think that, unless he's totally lost (which I don't expect) in the NHL that he will stay.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

I think Yandle is way overrated. Very good puck mover but nothing special defensively. I absolutely would cringe if Chia gave up Krejci for him, never mind the "+" that you're suggesting.

Must every top line forward be a top scorer? Lucic fits the first line well. He's there to create room, to bang bodies, create havoc in front of the net, chip in some ugly goals (Hartnell on Giroux line). He's one of the best at all of the above. Now if he could only do it in the playoffs...

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
^ A voice of reason. The Bruins cant afford losing a top-6 forward. So if the coveted top-4 dman cant be acquired by some combination of picks & prospects (Koko, Knight, etc..), I think an inexpensive vet is their best move.

What team would deal a decent top-4 for a package of picks/ Koko or Knight?

I think this is the better route as well. I don't think though that we can add a vet top 4 and fit him under the cap without trading significant salary back (unless the other team is willing to eat some, which they can do now).

A guy I'd love, LOVE, is Francois Beauchemin. If Anaheim is out of it quickly, I'd make a play for him. They have enough room that we can add Thomas.

Koko, a 3rd and Thomas for Beau

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think this is the better route as well. I don't think though that we can add a vet top 4 and fit him under the cap without trading significant salary back (unless the other team is willing to eat some, which they can do now).

A guy I'd love, LOVE, is Francois Beauchemin. If Anaheim is out of it quickly, I'd make a play for him. They have enough room that we can add Thomas.

Koko, a 3rd and Thomas for Beau

Beauchemin would be a great addition to this top-4. His style of play fits the Bruins.

Mark Giordano is another guy I'd keep an eye on. Smooth skater, strong too. Perhaps he'd be too expensive (also not sure of his contract status). But something tells me Calgary will find themselves DNQ again this season, and the fire sale will finally commence. Guys like Koko Knight Subban may look really attractive to a rebuilding team.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
You can apply the same fears to Bergeron, Rask, Chara and others etc. If Chara, Seids or Boychuk get hurt, where are you with Ference or Hamilton in your top 4 etc.. Horton should be fine, barring another incident....which is likely no more/less than Bergeron having one.
I'm referring more to Horton's contract than anything.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I'm sure the Bruins will be looking to resign Horton if he has a solid campaign in this shortened season. Even if they didn't, we're looking good with cap room, as contracts are coming off the books and the free agent crop is awesome.
http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=-1&fa_type_id=2

What does Volchenkov's contract look like? What would Uncle Lou want for him if the Devils struggle this season? Would Volchenkov fit into Bostons top-4? Where would he play?

Chara Seidenberg
Volchenkov Boychuk
Ference Seidenberg

Hamilton
Johnson

I'd be comfortable going into the playoffs with that blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad