Confirmed with Link: Keith to EDM for Jones and 3rd

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
As an Oilers fan I’ll be looking forward to seeing Jones’ progression. He looked really promising at one point and a lot of people thought last year was his breakthrough season. He didn’t take advantage of it, but there’s still potential there. The change in scenery could do wonders for him.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
1.Chances both conditions are met (( that Edm reaches Cup Final and that Keith is top 4 on Edm in ice-time) are not very likely...so expect it stays a 3rd rounder ...and probably only in the 80s to early 90s ....Not that great.

2.Worse...whether they reach a Cup Final or fail to reach that level,it is highly likely Keith retires after justc1 season i Edmonton...
He is oaid so little in the final year plus if he does get to Cup Final and loses then both grind and the depression of a Cup Final loss probably sens Keith to retire rather that go 2 more year.
Or if they get swept again I Roubd 1 of playoffs,Keith may decide EDM is still no contender to go far i playoffs.

So why pkay another year for peanuts.
So if he retires after this season,Hawks at risk for full recapture since we retaibed no money.

This deal could Screw us if we get a Recapture of that $5mil+ cap hit for 2022/23 if he rettires after this season

Maybe Stan feels Keith owes the Hawks to honor tge remainder of his contract because they honored his wish to join EDM which is closer to his kid ..But what if Keith's body gives out or the grind affects hom and they do not get far in playoffs or even if they do get to Cup Final and the grind is even longer or Won tge Cup and he wants to go out on a high?

In all these scenarios he might decide he has had enough ...and any "duty" he might have to notvscrw thecHawks may then go out the window.

Point is Hawks are now under a huge threat of tgat Re-capture if he decides forcwhatever reason to retire after this season and not play out his contract next srsson.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
1.Chances both conditions are met (( that Edm reaches Cup Final and that Keith is top 4 on Edm in ice-time) are not very likely...so expect it stays a 3rd rounder ...and probably only in the 80s to early 90s ....Not that great.

2.Worse...whether they reach a Cup Final or fail to reach that level,it is highly likely Keith retires after justc1 season i Edmonton...
He is oaid so little in the final year plus if he does get to Cup Final and loses then both grind and the depression of a Cup Final loss probably sens Keith to retire rather that go 2 more year.
Or if they get swept again I Roubd 1 of playoffs,Keith may decide EDM is still no contender to go far i playoffs.

So if he retires after this season,Hawks at risk for full recapture since we retaibed no money.

This deal could Screw us if we get a Recapture of that $5mil+ cap hit for 2022/23 if he rettires after this season

Maybe Stan feels Keith owes the Hawks to honor tge remainder of his contract because they honored his wish to join EDM which is closer to his kid ..But what if Keith's body gives out or the grind affects hom and they do not get far in playoffs or even if they do get to Cup Final and the grind is even longer or Won tge Cup and he wants to go out on a high?

In all these scenarios he might decide he has had enough ...and any "duty" he might have to notvscrw thecHawks may then go out the window.

Point is Hawks are now under a huge threat of tgat Re-capture if he decides forcwhatever reason to retire after this season and not play out his contract next srsson.

If his body gives out, no recapture as he will be considered injured.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Yeah, if he makes it to the cup final playing on a team with two generational stars and loses he’s going to be depressed and retire. He’s certainly not going to want to continue playing with that cup final team (who will remain with their core intact).

I know it’s hard, but do you even read the insane stuff you write?

There is about as much of a chance of a recapture penalty as there is if you writing a spelling error free post.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Of course you will have a few, but I dont know any one except Habs fans cheering for the Habs this past year. I hope a Canadian team never wins again.
I don’t know about never winning again but i certainly don’t like any of the Canadian teams, although my son loves the Leafs so I will cheer for Ottawa just to bug him.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
It's sad to see Keith go but if the Hawks are going to move forward you have to say goodbye to some old friends. Once a Hawk, Always a Hawk and I cannot wait for him to get in the HOF.

But the Oiler fans treated Keith like his an older version of Brandon Manning makes me mad. They don't deserve a guy like Keith.

hawksfan1979

Oct 7, 2017
Chicago, IL

I highly doubt he would do that given the team basically accomodated his request, it would be pretty not cool of him to screw the team like that. This is about the least of my worries from this deal.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Not sure what to think. Sad to lose Keith.

- but -

Nothing to nothing trade really.
a salary dump from Hawks, while getting nothing substantial back.
- well, no retention, so..yea?

Are those 2 & 3 2021 picks?
if so, in a strong draft, they be like 5 & 6 value.

But i guess Caleb Jones is a strong negotiation trump card for his brother, so there's that i suppose.
- other than that, a pretty much a let down trade, nothing lost, pretty much nothing gained, as it is

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Maybe in the future, this trade was the turning point for the Hawks.

It freed important cap space (to sign a key player)

Seth Jones joined Hawks and signed a long contract (because of his brother)

Hawks hit the jackpot with one of those picks

Caleb Jones developed to a solid d-men for the Hawks

Keith leaving opened up important roster spots.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's sad to see Keith go but if the Hawks are going to move forward you have to say goodbye to some old friends. Once a Hawk, Always a Hawk and I cannot wait for him to get in the HOF.

But the Oiler fans treated Keith like his an older version of Brandon Manning makes me mad. They don't deserve a guy like Keith.
I'm really dissapointed in fellow Oilers fans. Like the deal or not some are being really shitty about him and it's wrong. At the very least Keith seems like a great dude and role model and at the very worst a 3rd pairing defender. I'm excited to see the effect he has on the team.

Last edited:

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Canadians say this all the time, but their other comments and posts contradict that idea.
Honestly in Canada you have some bitter fans but so does the States like the ones chanting USA.
My view and the one most prevalent among people I know is screw every Canadian team but Vancouver.
I would much rather the Hawks, Flyers etc win a cup before any Canadian team but Vancouver and perhaps the sens since they are like the ugly duckling and they have great fans despite a shit-show owner.
I mean imagine Vikings fans cheering for the packers?

Reactions: ray c

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm really dissapointed in fellow Oilers fans. Like the deal or not some are being really shitty about him and it's wrong. At the very least Keith seems like a great dude and role model and at the very worst a 3rd pairing defender. I'm excited to see the effect he has on the team.

The guy is a f***ing winner, and one of the hardest working guys in the league. Even if he's just a serviceable NHLer(he's more), he brings so much more to a young team like the Oilers than his contribution on the ice. Edmonton needs some guys that know how to win, and what it takes. Keith might be the best guy in the NHL in that aspect.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Canadians say this all the time, but their other comments and posts contradict that idea.

I mean it doesn't. Unless you're going to take the sliver of people who make those comments on this board, and then apply that to an entire country. There are no doubt Americans who boast about the Cup being kept in America. I doubt most American hockey fans care about the Cup being won by an American team. They just want their team to win. Like we all do.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He scored 1 goal in 2 half seasons so far. He can score on a shootout move but I didnt see any future a step up for him. I was a bit surprised he even came back for this season after going back to Sweden initially during covid

The production wasn't there. I still see a player with tools to be useful in a bottom-6 role. Speed, tenacity, engaged. Like I said though, no big loss.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Han knows whats up. Keiths ability to defend the rush has cratered as he’s lost a step, first because he was unwilling to adjust his play under Q’s zone system, then because he (like many Hawks Dmen) dont have the speed for Colliton’s man+ system.

There were way better examples than those 4 chances. That's really lazy work and I doubt the problem was Keith defending the rush....

1. He keeps the blueline while 2 other defenders leave Svechnikov open... they just left him alone. Nothing would have happened if just one stays with him. Backcheckers were there too.
2. They just got the puck, were on the rush with 1 men infront while having 1 teammate behind him still facing the offensive zone. There is a backchecker behind him too and he tries to deflect the pass. Nothing wrong here with Keith.

Now it gets worse...
3. he couldn't keep a bad pass, has to turn around while Staal already is on the rush at his speed. That's lazy.
4. Him falling down is not good, but he couldn't defend the rush for sure after colliding with the Ref.... That's more than lazy.

Like I said, there are far more and better examples of Keiths decline to a 4 Million 2nd Pairing guy, but that wasn't good work.

Keith will have a good impact on that Oilers roster. He will be a leader they desperatly need and that is worth his price.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Wouldn't be surprised to see Duncs elevate his play once back on a contender and in comfort closer to his son. He's an ultimate competitor, so it could very easily happen.

We were so lucky to have him. Can't wait for his number to be up there and hopefully he comes back to work for the org. He'll always be Blackhawks family.

Hope he takes those kids under his wing and wins another cup before retiring.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Do you realky this adding Keith but without Klefbom for another season the Oilers can win 3 rounds or even make the playoffs?

If they failto make playoffs or go out after 1 round then YES The then 39 yr old Keith could decide to pack it in early and not bother with his final year earning so little money in 22/23?

But if by miracle EDM gets to Cuo Final thus season and wins Cup then 100% Keith woukd ride out early into the sunset and not pkay his final year.

Any of these scenarios making him quit before 22/23 season would trigger Re-Capture of 5.53 million cap hit back to Chicago!
So he'll yes,you shoukdcworry Bout this possibility.

Keith is a honorable man...he woukd never screw tgecHawks with such a early retirement decision ,would he?

The longing to be full time back seeibgbhisxsin every day in retirement might be too tempting for the 39 yrvokd Keith in sumner of 2922.. esoecialky if his body furthervdeterioratesvafterca 4 roubd grind after an 82cgame season and sufferings devasting loss in in tge Final or after reaching tge pinnacle with a Cuo win so hexridesvoutvon top.

Sorry but Ny duty to Hawks for granting his wish goes out the window underwriter Cuo Finak scenario...or Maybeceven if they fail to make playoffs or get blown out in round one ....

There is a lot more chances Keith only plays this 1 season no matter what happens than hom honoring his final season under comtract

So ...YES we should worry about the albatrossof Re-Capture hanging over Hawjs necks if he decides to quit 1 season early before his contract is up.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
Wouldn't be surprised to see Duncs elevate his play once back on a contender and in comfort closer to his son. He's an ultimate competitor, so it could very easily happen.

My thoughts exactly. Keith is probably one of the hardest working guys in hockey with a competitive streak a mile long. His quotes sound like he feels he has something to prove and I wouldn't bet against him.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Canadians don't care that American teams win the Cup. The whole "cheering for Canada's team" thing is media driven, especially when Canadian teams are doing well in the playoffs. If you're a fan of the Oilers, you're not cheering for the Canadiens or Leafs in the final anymore than any other fan who has a slight preference in who they'd rather see win.
I’m an Oiler fan and I cheered for HABS in finals . I can’t cheer for Leafs. It’s their fans and media base

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad