Confirmed with Link: Keith to EDM for Jones and 3rd

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Honestly, they have an opportunity to do some nice work on their backend this off season. One of Hamilton or Jones, plus a guy like Martinez or Suter on a shorter deal. If the Hawks get Hamilton, they could even use some assets they didnt spend on Jones and circle back on Vancouver regarding Schmidt. They have options if they’re willing to go big.
I'm all in on Hamilton and Schmidt.
Stay away from Jones, the price is ludicrous.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Theyve turned the roster over a ton in the last 3 years and the Hawks defense has been near the bottom of the league every year. At some point, it isn't everyone else. I promise you if Barry Trotz came in, we'd have a top 10 defense in a year.
Replacing and filling talent that can't dominate and control play to ease chances against with players who are of the same ability doesn't mean much.

It's not like they've gotten great players and made them worse. Maatta came in had improved from his prior year, Zadorov had better defensive numbers and harder matchups than ever. What's stayed the same is a player dragging down results 23 minutes a night and a bad defensive or puck control collection of forwards. Nothing roster wise in talent has changed

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Replacing and filling talent that can't dominate and control play to ease chances against with players who are of the same ability doesn't mean much.

It's not like they've gotten great players and made them worse. Maatta came in had improved from his prior year, Zadorov had better defensive numbers and harder matchups than ever. What's stayed the same is a player dragging down results 23 minutes a night and a bad defensive or puck control collection of forwards. Nothing roster wise in talent has changed

like I said if Barry trotz came in with the exact same team they’d be a top 10 defensive team within a year.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Honestly, they have an opportunity to do some nice work on their backend this off season. One of Hamilton or Jones, plus a guy like Martinez or Suter on a shorter deal. If the Hawks get Hamilton, they could even use some assets they didnt spend on Jones and circle back on Vancouver regarding Schmidt. They have options if they’re willing to go big.

I’d absolutely love some combo of Hamilton + Suter or Schmidt. I think it would help the younger guys a lot. That + a better backup than Subban I think would go a long way. We just don’t have the same elite talent to get us out of the gutter as we did leading up to the 2010 Cup.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
I think we have a pretty good shot at getting Suter here

It’s also been long rumoured the Hawks liked Murray. Martinez would be a very nice get, then you also have the buy low option as far as trade value with OEL

Quite confident we add one of these four and also still potential for Jones or Hamilton on the right side with Schmitt as a backup option

Even with these moves we likely struggle defensively because our coach but adding a couple of these guys puts the pressure on Coliton to deliver or he could be canned by the end of the season (hopefully early enough to salvage it)

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
I think we have a pretty good shot at getting Suter here

It’s also been long rumoured the Hawks liked Murray. Martinez would be a very nice get, then you also have the buy low option as far as trade value with OEL

Quite confident we add one of these four and also still potential for Jones or Hamilton on the right side with Schmitt as a backup option

Even with these moves we likely struggle defensively because our coach but adding a couple of these guys puts the pressure on Coliton to deliver or he could be canned by the end of the season (hopefully early enough to salvage it)
Like your optimism, but if the Hawks make noise like that outlined in your post, he's not gonna have to wait very long to get canned if the team gets off to a slow start.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Like your optimism, but if the Hawks make noise like that outlined in your post, he's not gonna have to wait very long to get canned if the team gets off to a slow start.

The way I see it Bowman has a lot of unexpected cap space and he was talking about adding a number one before we lost Keith so chances of us adding a couple top four is pretty decent

I hope your right on the canning Coliton part

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
I can’t imagine Schmidt is going to cost much of anything. He was traded for a 3rd round pick last offseason and its widely reported he just requested a trade out of Vancouver after a down year. Of note is that Vancouver is in no rush to trade him before they have to submit their protection list because they aren’t exposing any defenseman (or anyone else for that matter) who is worth a damn. Also worth noting is Schmidt has a limited NTC and Gaudette was patient zero for Van’s COVID outbreak, so perhaps Schmidt would block a trade here if Gaudette remains a Hawk.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
If we trade Bo plus other futures (such as pick 11) for Seth and resign Zadorov for $4m and Pius Suter for $2m, even with deHaan and Strome still on the roster (and the roster being full), we have $12.9 in cap space. If you replace Zadorov and deHaan with 2 of the D targets outside the system, that won’t eat too much into our cap space because $8m would be coming off the books.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
I think if you can fit Jones in and still be able to sign key UFA/RFA players in the next couple years, you have to take him.

Hamilton is cheaper, but far less effective on the defensive side of the puck compared to Jones. We're somehow forgetting the importance of solid blue line play. Our success the past decade doesn't happen without Keith, Seabrook or Hammer. The closest to any of those isn't Hamilton, it's Jones.

Hamilton + Suter could work, but one is offensively minded and the other is aging. Take the bonifide D, skip the combo and stay the course with current roster development.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Great discussion of what Keith is as a player at 38 years old and how (if) the Oilers can get the most out of him on the PDOCast. Dim Filipovic is excellent as always and JFresh makes some compelling points about deployment.

Ep.403: No Salary Retained

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think if you can fit Jones in and still be able to sign key UFA/RFA players in the next couple years, you have to take him.

Hamilton is cheaper, but far less effective on the defensive side of the puck compared to Jones. We're somehow forgetting the importance of solid blue line play. Our success the past decade doesn't happen without Keith, Seabrook or Hammer. The closest to any of those isn't Hamilton, it's Jones.

Definitely. Well said.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
the ask is crazy but its media speak right now who knows where his value settles. at that price you hang up the phone.

i dont even mind adding schmidt and suter. Maybe Jones is available next year or Hamilton price ends up ok and you can add them in at 1RD down the line.

Schmidt for Mitchell Strome and 2nd

Schmidt-Murphy
Suter-Boqvist
Kalynuk-Stillman
Jones-DeHaan

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This is very good return for Chicago. Keith wanted to be traded closer to his home on the West Coast of
Canada, and the Hawks came out on the better end of this trade.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This is very good return for Chicago. Keith wanted to be traded closer to his home on the West Coast of
Canada, and the Hawks came out on the better end of this trade.

Just curious...is the return so "very good" because of amazing Caleb Jones or because of that valuable 3rd round pick?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Just curious...is the return so "very good" because of amazing Caleb Jones or because of that valuable 3rd round pick?

Mostly the cap space. The 5.5 million is the most valuable asset moved in this trade.

In a cap league you want fair or surplus on-ice value for the cap hit. Keith was well over-value for the bulk of his career and that's a big reason the Blackhawks could amass the depth for a dynastic run. The last several years, his on-ice impact has been worth far less than the 5.5million.

All of this is moot if that space is wasted on the wrong players. Which is why I wince everytime I hear talk of re-signing Zadorov. But the potential to get fair or surplus value for that cap space again is very valuable.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
the ask is crazy but its media speak right now who knows where his value settles. at that price you hang up the phone.

i dont even mind adding schmidt and suter. Maybe Jones is available next year or Hamilton price ends up ok and you can add them in at 1RD down the line.

Schmidt for Mitchell Strome and 2nd

Schmidt-Murphy
Suter-Boqvist
Kalynuk-Stillman
Jones-DeHaan

Schmidt was acquired for a 3rd rounder last year and then had a down season. He's going to cost less than any one of Mitchell, Strome, or a 2nd. Also, VAN needs cap space for Hughes/Petterson.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Meh better than I thought we would get when I left for the mountains and lake a week ago

is Caleb trade bait or does he have a spot here potentially?

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
did not realize that Tim Soderlund went with Kieth to Edm., I always liked his potential. Likely had to add a prospect to not retain on 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad