What did he bring to the ice?

Why did he retire in 2005?

Just asking out of curiosity.

getty_kprimeau.jpg

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Primeau had one of the greatest playoff performances I've seen in my life in 2003-04, leading the Flyers to the ECF.

That's what I'll always remember about Primeau. His performance during that run was incredible.
Was he physical? He had the size, thats for sure

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
I remember him being somewhat disliked at first and seen as underwhelming/immature , and then during the 2003-04 season he did a 180 and was a fantastic captain and had the absolutely legendary playoff run. still my favorite Flyers team. my heart was broken by Tampa.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He fit the archetype & was a high draft pick. He was more so a very good player opposed to being a great player so perhaps that could have had people always wanting more during his career.

The Flyers had him on the backend of his career anyway even before the concussions done him in.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I remember him being somewhat disliked at first and seen as underwhelming/immature , and then during the 2003-04 season he did a 180 and was a fantastic captain and had the absolutely legendary playoff run. still my favorite Flyers team. my heart was broken by Tampa.
The first part was that he was traded for Brind’Amour, which angered many people (including me), and then he was at the center of burying Bill Barber. He checked himself when Hitchcock was brought in, and helped everyone buy in. He also accepted the shutdown role and got rewarded offensively when he started feeling it later in the playoffs and getting the matchups on home ice.

I think Primeau’s legend is a bit greater than people remember. Only 2 of his points in the playoffs were on the road. Of course he was great defensively the entire time, and the moments he had were absolutely huge. That playoff was one where Zhamnov and his line was great early and got hurt then Primeau took over.

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
The first part was that he was traded for Brind’Amour, which angered many people (including me), and then he was at the center of burying Bill Barber. He checked himself when Hitchcock was brought in, and helped everyone buy in. He also accepted the shutdown role and got rewarded offensively when he started feeling it later in the playoffs and getting the matchups on home ice.

I think Primeau’s legend is a bit greater than people remember. Only 2 of his points in the playoffs were on the road. Of course he was great defensively the entire time, and the moments he had were absolutely huge. That playoff was one where Zhamnov and his line was great early and got hurt then Primeau took over.
That playoff run was prototype lightning in a bottle. That’s what will happen when luck marries up with opportunity. He had an otherworldly 20% shooting percentage in that playoff run, which was to a huge degree just plain good luck.

Flyers got the shorter end of that stick in hindsight both because of his concussions and RBA’s consistent productivity long beyond his peak years, but there’s no denying that 04-05 playoff run was magical.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That playoff run was prototype lightning in a bottle. That’s what will happen when luck marries up with opportunity. He had an otherworldly 20% shooting percentage in that playoff run, which was to a huge degree just plain good luck.

Flyers got the shorter end of that stick in hindsight both because of his concussions and RBA’s consistent productivity long beyond his peak years, but there’s no denying that 04-05 playoff run was magical.

03-04

04-05 was the lockout

:thumbu:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
He was the prototypical do-it-all kind of player who had this incredible playoff run and showed that running through a brick wall for his team mentality that ultimately cut short his career.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Preems really established himself as the team's true leader in that fateful playoff run until he was cheapshotted by that Leaf's douchebag. He held the players accountable and worked hand in glove with Hitchcock as far as being that important conduit between the coach and players with respect to system buy in. Once he got injured the wheels on the team started to fall off. Clarke was left impotent waiting on his decision to retire leading to one of the worst offseason's in Flyers history and invariably one of the worst seasons all around. Clarke and Hitch "resigned" and the rest was bad history besides 2010 which was an aberration anyway...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Preems really established himself as the team's true leader in that fateful playoff run until he was cheapshotted by that Leaf's douchebag. He held the players accountable and worked hand in glove with Hitchcock as far as being that important conduit between the coach and players with respect to system buy in. Once he got injured the wheels on the team started to fall off. Clarke was left impotent waiting on his decision to retire leading to one of the worst offseason's in Flyers history and invariably one of the worst seasons all around. Clarke and Hitch "resigned" and the rest was bad history besides 2010 which was an aberration anyway...

The Flyers were a pretty good team from 2008 - 2012

2008 : 42-29-11 / Lost in Eastern Conference Finals
2009 : 44-27-11 / Lost in Eastern Quarterfinals to eventual Cup champs
2010 : 41-35-6 / Lost in Stanley Cup Finals - better team than their reg. season record
2011 : 47-23-12 / Lost in Eastern Conference Semis to eventual Cup champs
2012 : 47-26-9 / Lost in Eastern Conference Semis to eventual Cup finalists

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The Flyers were a pretty good team from 2008 - 2012

2008 : 42-29-11 / Lost in Eastern Conference Finals
2009 : 44-27-11 / Lost in Eastern Quarterfinals to eventual Cup champs
2010 : 41-35-6 / Lost in Stanley Cup Finals - better team than their reg. season record
2011 : 47-23-12 / Lost in Eastern Conference Semis to eventual Cup champs
2012 : 47-26-9 / Lost in Eastern Conference Semis to eventual Cup finalists
It's hard to remember that far back...lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad