Keith Olbermann lights Steve Simmons up

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Phil had a lot of deficiencies with his game and playing style, but the primary reason why he had to go is because of what kind of person he was in relation to the identity the Leafs want to have. It wasn't the right fit.

Keith Olbermann is a POS too.

Indeed he is.

Still... lol Simmons.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Keith Olbermann is a POS too.
What's the story behind him being a POS?

I do find his demeanour really condescending and annoying even when I agree with him, but I don't really know anything about him.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Simmons is a complete tool. His article is nothing more than sensationalist journalism; he might as well write for the National Enquirer or his own Erotica and get off on it. Funny thing is the Toronto media thinks he had actually done a good job from listening to the radio on my way home from work today. They actually mentioned that the twitter response to his article is 50% in favour and 50% against, which is supposedly a good indicator. My take on that is, at the very least, 50% of the population doesn't like him...for the other 50% who'd like the article, a large majority didn't like Kessel...so "no, Simmons, you don't have 50% of the popularity vote!" :laugh:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Hilarious

And I'm not saying Olbermann is that good either, but he's above Simmons by a lot ... Simmons is that bad

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Olbermann wasnt funny and Simmons article was a nothing piece.

That said, what did he say that was inaccurate?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

For one, implying Kessel is responsible for the complete failure of this franchise. And I'm sure he's stocking Kessel daily on route to the hotdog vendor. :sarcasm:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
What's the story behind him being a POS?

I do find his demeanour really condescending and annoying even when I agree with him, but I don't really know anything about him.

That's basically it. Olbermann is well known for being a condescending, egotistical meathead when ranting. Sometimes, his rants are funny and correct, but in most instances, he is so far off, it isn't funny. He's the Fox News of sports anchors. But this is one of those exceptions... except for when he's talking about Toronto not being important. That's just an idiotic statement.

But Olbermann is far above Simmons, and I don't like Olbermann at all. And given he works for ESPN, you can say mainstream media IMO. He's just well known for his MSNBC past.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
For one, implying Kessel is responsible for the complete failure of this franchise. And I'm sure he's stocking Kessel daily on route to the hotdog vendor. :sarcasm:

He didnt do that. Find the line where he blames Kessel solely for the failure of the franchise. He just pointed out flaws in Kessel as a pro athlete, and pointed out the fact that Shanny and the current Leafs mgmt wanted him out.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He didnt do that. Find the line where he blames Kessel solely for the failure of the franchise. He just pointed out flaws in Kessel as a pro athlete, and pointed out the fact that Shanny and the current Leafs mgmt wanted him out.

It's the manor in which he said those things and the insinuation which he's known for which is embarrassing. He feeds off the assumptions of the reader. He knows exactly what he's doing. It's tabloid material.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Everything they believe in for the future is almost everything Kessel has proven to be lacking in.

You mean, like all the talk about hockey IQ and puck skills?

A Leafs front-office voice recently spoke about the two largest influences on any player. One comes from the coach. The other comes from the player who sits beside you on the bench. Those are the voices you hear most often.

For Tyler Bozak and James van Riemsdyk, that voice belonged to Kessel.

If the voice is negative, critical, disruptive, condescending of players, critical of coaches, critical of fans, then that impacts more than just the player doing the talking. It poisons the environment. It brings players down. It cuts into their effectiveness. It establishes the kind of mood no team wants.

The right kind of leadership can make a team greater.

The wrong kind can destroy it.

The second-half Leafs were the most destroyed team in Toronto history. The flag carrier of despair was Kessel.

Read between the lines, bud, pretty strong choice of words and implications...even blaming Kessel for Bozak's and JVR's regressive gameplay. These are just some examples from the article.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
TSN will still put him on the air. :shakehead

Olbermann's always a bit too much, but nice to see anybody mock Simmons and his writing from a louder outlet than message boards and comment sections.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Ultimately, Simmons let himself open for this one.

His articles are trash, though for some reason he is more palatable on the radio.

The piece of Kessel was just way over the top. Like ridiculous... it was almost as if Kessel slept with Simmons wife or something and he just came at him from all angles.

Truth is - if Kessel was really that bad, and he is still hands down the best player on the Leafs.... what does that say about the rest of the team? I'd think that would be more of a basis of an article than a smear campaign...

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
A tool mocking another tool.

Oh come one now, at least tools serve a purpose.

That being said, Simmons has a face that you just want to smack - hard. I loved it when Burke smacked him down in that presser and sent Simmons into an even deeper snit than he is usually in.

Heart

Jun 10, 2015
One idiot commenting on another idiot. Nothing to see here except a couple idiots.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I enjoy seeing Simmons get lit up, however...

the blatant disrespect this franchise receives across the league, it's fanbases, it's media, etc. is downright disgusting.

Everyone loves to talk crap about the most valuable franchise, by far, in this bush league. If the doors shut on the maple leafs, the League would crumble.

/rant

wulfio*

That the leafs should be relocated. Despite the team being irrelevant in the standings, they are quite relevant when it comes to league revenue. I can imagine massive retraction and/or bankruptcy if there was no revenue from the Leafs.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
I enjoy seeing Simmons get lit up, however...

the blatant disrespect this franchise receives across the league, it's fanbases, it's media, etc. is downright disgusting.

Everyone loves to talk crap about the most valuable franchise, by far, in this bush league. If the doors shut on the maple leafs, the League would crumble.

/rant

the team gets no respect because they have not won in 48 years. The management has been a joke and people cant deny that, everyone on here has ripped JFJ, Burkie and Nonis. Hopefully this is a wake up call and Shanny and Co. are going to finally do things the right way. It appears they are so that is a positive.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
TSN will still put him on the air. :shakehead

Olbermann's always a bit too much, but nice to see anybody mock Simmons and his writing from a louder outlet than message boards and comment sections.

My thoughts exactly. I get why Olbermann is disliked but Simmons is a whole other level of "everything that's wrong with human beings".

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
I like this a lot.

Its not Phil's fault that Burke and Nonis decided to build around him, and than of course fail to surround him with good talent. Also giving him a poor excuse of a C in Bozak isn't great either

Simmonds, can you just go away?

You guys are kidding right? Defending phil kessel? The guy would do nothing to help the team now I agree he wasn't the only problem but he was one of the main problems. Is thete a more useless overpaid player in the league then a phil Kessel who isn't scoring?

Don't make phil the victim here. And though saying the leafs haven't been reticent since 79is stupid. The Gilmour years, the sounding years. They may not have won cups but they were considered contenders every season.

In closing Kessel was supposed to be our saviour. He has the skill to be an absolute game changer there is no arguing that But he has major work ethic and drive problems. Its not the hotdogs it's coming into camp year after year so out of shape.

He was the face of the franchise now he's not. And he's the 3rd wheel in Pitts where he will happily get paid 8 million to be a supporting offensive player on the wing of one of the league's elite centers....

I have no doubt he will score a lot of goals. But I also think there will be some frustrations with him There also.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That video is absolutely fantastic.

If anyone finds themselves in agreement with anything Simmons blurts out his fat mouth should realize they are on the wrong side of the issue.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Phil was never the leader

Why are so few looking at the actual leader here!

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad