News Article: Keith McCambridge is the new Wolf Pack HC

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
On Silverfish comment "so much for new blood", he's only been with WolfPack one season and was the HC for Jets AHL affiliate for 5 years before that, so i'd still classify him as new blood.

It'd be the same thing as the Rangers bringing in Ruff as AC then next year, firing AV and promoting Ruff.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I wonder what Beacon has to say about this. He's the world leading authority on all things Wolfpack. He should know more about this guy.

McCambridge started his whl career with Swift Current coached by the garbage known as Graham James. In '92 their goalie was Milan Hnlika, former Wolfpack goalie. In '95 he was dealt to Kamloops where they won the Memorial Cup along with Darcy Tucker, Shane Doan, Jarome Iginla, Tyson Nash, Brad Lukowich and former Ranger Jason Strudwick. Their coach was Don Hay who coached the 97 Yotes, few of their players were Norm Maciver, Mike Gartner, Kris King, Chad Kilger, Mike Eastwood, Jayson More, Dallas Eakins, and former Wolfpack Brent Thompson. Hay's next coaching gig was an assistant to Pierre Page in Calgary along with assistant Walt Kyle, players Steve Rucchin, Bobo Mironov, Sean Pronger, Tomas Sandstrom, Dave Karpa, Guy Hebert, Dan Bylsma, Ted Drury and former Wolfpack Jamie Pushor.

In 95'96 McCambridge's first two pro seasons he played for the St John Flames, under Coach Paul Baxter, who played his first pro season game in '80 under coach Jacques Demers. Robbie Ftorek, Pierre Lacroix, Ron Low and former New Haven Nighthawk/Ranger Dave Farrish played for that team that year. Baxter was later traded to Calgary and was teammates with Carey Wilson, Jeff Brubaker, Mike Eaves, Steve Tambellini, Former Ranger/Wolfpack asst coach Nicky Fotiu, and and current Ranger 'consultant' Doug Risebrough. McCambridge's teammates in St John included former Rangers Marty St Louis, Jody Shelley, Former Wolfpack Nils Ekman, Joel Bouchard, Ryan Bast, Chris O'sullivan, John Tripp, Jason Macdonald and Scott Fraser.

After that he bounced around the IHL with Vegas and LB Ice Dogs, played with former NY Rangers Petr Nedved(contract dispute blunder) ,Brad Shaw, Louie Debrusk, Michel Petit, former Wolfpack Mike Wilson, Brad Isbister,

Then onto the Providence Bruins where he was coached by former Binghamton Ranger Peter Laviolette. Jeff Gorton was their asst GM. There he played with former Wolfpack Chris & Peter Ferraro, Jason Krog, Eric Cairns, Kay Whitmore, Steve Valiquette, Tony Tuzzolino, and Trevor Gillies.

In '03 he played for two teams Cleveland Barons and Houston Aeros(coached by Todd McLellan). That year he played alongside former Wolfpack Cory Larose, Larry Nycholat, Jay Henderson, Johan Holmqvist, Chad Wiseman, and Pat Rismiller.

His last years as a player were spent in Alaska with the Aces of the ECHL where he was a player coach alongside Davis Payne, onetime Blues head coach(2010-2013) and LA Assistant coach(2012-2017). Scott Gomez(lockout year), Ryan Bast, and Barret Heisten were on those teams, won the ECHL championship in '06.

His first two years as a head coach for the Aces they went to and lost conference finals, then the finals. Former Pack/Whale Tuzzolino, Heisten, Tj Fast and Chris Holt played some time on those clubs.

Next he was on to Manitoba Moose of the AHL, two years as an assistant, one under current Rangers asst coach Scott Arniel and the other under former Winnipeg coach Claude Noel. Michal Grabner played 38 games under Arniel that first year along with former Ranger Mike Keane and former Pack/whale Larry Nycholat, Erik Christensen, and Garth Murray.

Next was his first head coaching gig in the AHL with St Johns Icecaps/Manitoba Moose. His assistant coach was former New Haven Nighthawk and Rangers '81 draft pick Mark Morrison. Former pack players on the icecaps include Garth Murray, Carl Klingberg,

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
McCambridge started his whl career with Swift Current coached by the garbage known as Graham James. In '92 their goalie was Milan Hnlika, former Wolfpack goalie. In '95 he was dealt to Kamloops where they won the Memorial Cup along with Darcy Tucker, Shane Doan, Jarome Iginla, Tyson Nash, Brad Lukowich and former Ranger Jason Strudwick. Their coach was Don Hay who coached the 97 Yotes, few of their players were Norm Maciver, Mike Gartner, Kris King, Chad Kilger, Mike Eastwood, Jayson More, Dallas Eakins, and former Wolfpack Brent Thompson. Hay's next coaching gig was an assistant to Pierre Page in Calgary along with assistant Walt Kyle, players Steve Rucchin, Bobo Mironov, Sean Pronger, Tomas Sandstrom, Dave Karpa, Guy Hebert, Dan Bylsma, Ted Drury and former Wolfpack Jamie Pushor.

In 95'96 McCambridge's first two pro seasons he played for the St John Flames, under Coach Paul Baxter, who played his first pro season game in '80 under coach Jacques Demers. Robbie Ftorek, Pierre Lacroix, Ron Low and former New Haven Nighthawk/Ranger Dave Farrish played for that team that year. Baxter was later traded to Calgary and was teammates with Carey Wilson, Jeff Brubaker, Mike Eaves, Steve Tambellini, Former Ranger/Wolfpack asst coach Nicky Fotiu, and and current Ranger 'consultant' Doug Risebrough. McCambridge's teammates in St John included former Rangers Marty St Louis, Jody Shelley, Former Wolfpack Nils Ekman, Joel Bouchard, Ryan Bast, Chris O'sullivan, John Tripp, Jason Macdonald and Scott Fraser.

After that he bounced around the IHL with Vegas and LB Ice Dogs, played with former NY Rangers Petr Nedved(contract dispute blunder) ,Brad Shaw, Louie Debrusk, Michel Petit, former Wolfpack Mike Wilson, Brad Isbister,

Then onto the Providence Bruins where he was coached by former Binghamton Ranger Peter Laviolette. Jeff Gorton was their asst GM. There he played with former Wolfpack Chris & Peter Ferraro, Jason Krog, Eric Cairns, Kay Whitmore, Steve Valiquette, Tony Tuzzolino, and Trevor Gillies.

In '03 he played for two teams Cleveland Barons and Houston Aeros(coached by Todd McLellan). That year he played alongside former Wolfpack Cory Larose, Larry Nycholat, Jay Henderson, Johan Holmqvist, Chad Wiseman, and Pat Rismiller.

His last years as a player were spent in Alaska with the Aces of the ECHL where he was a player coach alongside Davis Payne, onetime Blues head coach(2010-2013) and LA Assistant coach(2012-2017). Scott Gomez(lockout year), Ryan Bast, and Barret Heisten were on those teams, won the ECHL championship in '06.

His first two years as a head coach for the Aces they went to and lost conference finals, then the finals. Former Pack/Whale Tuzzolino, Heisten, Tj Fast and Chris Holt played some time on those clubs.

Next he was on to Manitoba Moose of the AHL, two years as an assistant, one under current Rangers asst coach Scott Arniel and the other under former Winnipeg coach Claude Noel. Michal Grabner played 38 games under Arniel that first year along with former Ranger Mike Keane and former Pack/whale Larry Nycholat, Erik Christensen, and Garth Murray.

Next was his first head coaching gig in the AHL with St Johns Icecaps/Manitoba Moose. His assistant coach was former New Haven Nighthawk and Rangers '81 draft pick Mark Morrison. Former pack players on the icecaps include Garth Murray, Carl Klingberg,

Thanks, Pierre

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Was hoping they'd look to pluck someone from the CHL ... someone with fresh blood; not a guy who has already proven himself an AHL failure. Oh well, hope it somehow works out.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Was hoping they'd look to pluck someone from the CHL ... someone with fresh blood; not a guy who has already proven himself an AHL failure. Oh well, hope it somehow works out.

Think the interview linked above in the Courant was interesting. It seemed like if McCambridge made 10 comments, 9 was kind of made from the perspective that he was going to be a company man, take orders and so forth and so forth.

Right or wrong, I think this speaks volumes of what our approach regarding the AHL is. We are very afraid of ending up with someone with putting personal ambitions above preference of management. Glen Sather stated clearly that this was the reason for why we fired Ryan McGill who got more or less good results in HFD -- but refused to take orders to loosen up his very strict and defensive system to enable our prospects to develop more offensively. And I am positive that this was the reason Gernander kept his job for so long.

With McCambridge, I do hope that we get better execution.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Think the interview linked above in the Courant was interesting. It seemed like if McCambridge made 10 comments, 9 was kind of made from the perspective that he was going to be a company man, take orders and so forth and so forth.

Right or wrong, I think this speaks volumes of what our approach regarding the AHL is. We are very afraid of ending up with someone with putting personal ambitions above preference of management. Glen Sather stated clearly that this was the reason for why we fired Ryan McGill who got more or less good results in HFD -- but refused to take orders to loosen up his very strict and defensive system to enable our prospects to develop more offensively. And I am positive that this was the reason Gernander kept his job for so long.

With McCambridge, I do hope that we get better execution.

Yeah they need a John Cooper type, a guy that won at every level before coming to the AHL.

Rocky Thompson, Les Jackson.... those are the type of guys the Rangers needed.

It'll be interesting to see, they definitely need a teacher next year with so many first year pros coming in.

Halverson imo is the key guy to watch and see if he can take the next step. All the tools are there to be another Talbot, but he'll need some help in front of him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

With the Seattle-connection (Gropp, Ottenbreit, Smith) I was hoping for Kono as our new AHL coach

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
With the Seattle-connection (Gropp, Ottenbreit, Smith) I was hoping for Kono as our new AHL coach

You know that's what I was hoping for, too...but Kono has another year left in Seattle, and his family has really settled down in the area. It was an extreme long shot that they'd contact him. You & I were dreaming, lol.

Still, I was hoping for something better than a worn tire with exposed threads...which is what we got.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You know that's what I was hoping for, too...but Kono has another year left in Seattle, and his family has really settled down in the area. It was an extreme long shot that they'd contact him. You & I were dreaming, lol.

Still, I was hoping for something better than a worn tire with exposed threads...which is what we got.

What we got is a new HC, who gets a chance to change the culture of the team. I hope he can, but if he can't, Gorton shouldn't hesitate to replace him. Kono was a long shot, yes. But I feel he could do well in HFD. Maybe he can get a job in the AHL elsewhere. With Seattle in line for an NHL team, he might wait for that instead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad