Keith Ballard Discussion

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I thought Ballard played decent in those very limited minutes he had. Offensively he's a black hole but defensively he competed well one on one, tried to play safe hockey, focus on positioning and reading the play instead of chasing it, which he sometimes struggles with. That being said, that random icing at one point that resulted few scoring chances to San Jose was another boneheaded play that you see him make sometimes and I'm sure that gets coaches fuming.

And before anyone complains, sure, Edler had his bad moments aswell. But in the big picture, like that quote above from Ballard says, the teams that Ballard has played 25 minutes/game have been at the bottom of the league, where as Edler playing top minutes has resulted in back to back President's Trophys.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
If everything goes perfectly this season, we see this:

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Ballard

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
And before anyone complains, sure, Edler had his bad moments aswell. But in the big picture, like that quote above from Ballard says, the teams that Ballard has played 25 minutes/game have been at the bottom of the league, where as Edler playing top minutes has resulted in back to back President's Trophys.
Kind of like scoring 30+ goals for a lottery pick team vs 20+ goals for a team that has some attainable goal to reach.

(sorry for the thread jacking....)

freakydave

Feb 10, 2004
otp.phpbbweb.com
I thought Ballard played decent in those very limited minutes he had. Offensively he's a black hole but defensively he competed well one on one, tried to play safe hockey, focus on positioning and reading the play instead of chasing it, which he sometimes struggles with. That being said, that random icing at one point that resulted few scoring chances to San Jose was another boneheaded play that you see him make sometimes and I'm sure that gets coaches fuming.

You seem to be implying Ballard is a top 4 Dman on bad teams while Edler is a top4 D man on a good/elite teams?
While this may be true Ballard's days in pho,fla those teams were bottom 1/2(17th & 19th) to bottom 1/3rd in scoring.They were also in the bottom 1/2 to 1/3rd in GAA(except 08-09) but that's not all on the D corp is it? further one season while Ballard was playing top 4 mins in FLA they were #10 in GAA-top 1/3 rd of the league.That same season 2008-09 Ballard was a + 14 with 34 pts & Edler was a+11 with 37 points.
The point is you seem to be giving Edler credit for the teams success(as an excuse for ignoring his flaws) while he was only a part of a successful team & has only ever played
for a successful franchise.While condeming Ballard as a 5-6 D man becuase his success was on bad teams.
I believe Ballard could be quite successful on this team playing on his off wing with Garrison in a top 4 roll until Bieksa returns.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
in what will be a broken record for the remainder of the season, ballard will be benched again tonight in favour of alberts and barker

L4cer8

Mar 27, 2012
Arizona
We are intentionally tanking at this point, that's the only logical explanation as to why we keep playing those two idiots over Ballard. Seriously, what is going on?!

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I was going to post this exact comment.

IMO this is more of a distraction than the goalies situation.

It's simply idiotic that it has gotten to this point. What's left to do here? They certainly aren't looking to improve him anymore, not with this coach. Get rid of him at the deadline and get someone AV will actually play.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I bet it can.

Sure it "could"... it could go all the way to the end of the offseason. Even beyond if Gillis starts moving out other pieces in order to retain Ballard (as unlikely as that is).

But "should" not go beyond the deadline.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Sure it "could"... it could go all the way to the end of the offseason. Even beyond if Gillis starts moving out other pieces in order to retain Ballard (as unlikely as that is).

But "should" not go beyond the deadline.

I took your "cannot" in the wrong way. My feeling is that Gillis will be unable to move either Ballard or one of the goalies by the deadline, if he is inclined. I hope I'm wrong.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
To people saying "this can't go on any longer," are the Canucks really better off moving a decent #6 guy in Ballard and trying to replace him with a defender (presumably someone not already on the roster) who is as likely to face a tough adjustment period to this team - as guys like Ballard and Alberts have before?

Is this team improved with someone like Eric Brewer or Jordan Leopold or Ian White or Jan Hejda here playing at 60-70% of their capacity while they learn the system rather than with Keith Ballard here playing at 60-70% of his capacity because the coaches won't use him?

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
To people saying "this can't go on any longer," are the Canucks really better off moving a decent #6 guy in Ballard and trying to replace him with a defender (presumably someone not already on the roster) who is as likely to face a tough adjustment period to this team - as guys like Ballard and Alberts have before?

Is this team improved with someone like Eric Brewer or Jordan Leopold or Ian White or Jan Hejda here playing at 60-70% of their capacity while they learn the system rather than with Keith Ballard here playing at 60-70% of his capacity because the coaches won't use him?

Eric Brewer has won olympic gold and a world cup of hockey while playing brilliant shut down defense. He was also voted as one of the top 10 most handsome athletes in North America for three straight years. He has the perfect combination of intimidating physique and seductive eyes to bring Vancouver it's first Stanley Cup.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Eric Brewer has won olympic gold and a world cup of hockey while playing brilliant shut down defense. He was also voted as one of the top 10 most handsome athletes in North America for three straight years. He has the perfect combination of intimidating physique and seductive eyes to bring Vancouver it's first Stanley Cup.

Strong username-to-post-content correlation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad