Keith Ballard Discussion

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
To people saying "this can't go on any longer," are the Canucks really better off moving a decent #6 guy in Ballard and trying to replace him with a defender (presumably someone not already on the roster) who is as likely to face a tough adjustment period to this team - as guys like Ballard and Alberts have before?

Is this team improved with someone like Eric Brewer or Jordan Leopold or Ian White or Jan Hejda here playing at 60-70% of their capacity while they learn the system rather than with Keith Ballard here playing at 60-70% of his capacity because the coaches won't use him?

It depends, are the alternatives going to play? If so, then yes, the team would be better off. If not, then it really doesn't matter.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Eric Brewer has won olympic gold and a world cup of hockey while playing brilliant shut down defense. He was also voted as one of the top 10 most handsome athletes in North America for three straight years. He has the perfect combination of intimidating physique and seductive eyes to bring Vancouver it's first Stanley Cup.

Are you my niece? She loves Eric Brewer's eyes as well lol

King of the ES*

I really have no idea why no action has been taken on Keith Ballard. This is a guy who has pretty clearly not fit, since nearly his arrival.

Mike Gillis could've very easily traded him somewhere else, even for a price less than what he was acquired for, and come out much further ahead than where we are now.

It's these types of moves that really make one appreciate the brilliance of Wally Buono.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I really hate how wasted of an asset Ballard has been. AV doesn't want to use him—this much is clear. We wasted Bernier, Grabner and a 1st (Howden or probably another player).

VanMelaner14

Tan the Man
Jun 16, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I've always been a fan of Ballard since the Canucks acquired him and it’s been frustrating to see he’s never had the opportunity to meet the potential the Canucks organization saw in him in 2010. Furthermore, he needs to be moved. There's no need to repeat what his value is or what kind of role he can have with this team. Gillis just needs to move him for something. I don’t really care if it’s for a couple of picks. Keith Ballard is not a depth defenseman! Barker is showing he can fill the role as the 6th defenseman until a further acquisition.

Ballard deserves a chance elsewhere while he’s still in what could be called the “prime years of his professional hockey career.” This fiasco continues to be an unnecessary distraction IMO.

Last edited:

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
The only reason I can see for them keeping Ballard out of the lineup is that AV wants to see how poorly this team plays without him in the event that they trade Ballard to try and get some other help for this team. Might as well see the worst it can get before making a trade to assess whether the trade would benefit or harm the team.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Oh I would pay to see that fight. Both D-men, similar size (5'11"), like to fight... should be a good one.

In fact AV has 1 carrier fight, that is as a coach, against one of his own players.

I realize that some one will you this to say how terrible AV is...

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
he should be. treated unfairly from DAY 1. wonder if he has a last chance here with the nuck UNDER A NEW COACH. but i guess that won't happen. he'll be a buyout candiate.

Especially if Booth is too injured to be bought out.

Shame, he'll sign with another team for a cheap deal and be very helpful when played correctly.

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
I can't see Ballard staying unless one of the top 4 gets traded.

I'm gonna miss him. I've been a fan of his since he came to Vancouver. I never understood why he gets scratched and I never will. How could he possibly be below Barker of all people in depth? I sense that it is AV's fault and solely his fault.

And with that reason along with many other reasons, AV should be fired.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006

I'm gonna miss him. I've been a fan of his since he came to Vancouver. I never understood why he gets scratched and I never will. How could he possibly be below Barker of all people in depth? I sense that it is AV's fault and solely his fault.

It was partly on Ballard, he couldn't play the role he was given well enough.

Of course he never should have been in that role to begin with, but that is a different argument.

He had less power play time than Rome.

Last edited:

solitary

Mar 30, 2009

No one will ever know that :facepalm:

Vancouver: where AV kills any asset value

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I have no idea how this guy still has so many fans.

Would I have played him before Barker? Yes. But that doesn't mean he doesn't suck.

Ballard is a crap, undersized defender who is prone to consistent brain farts in his own zone, and is a crap offensive player because he's a hopeless passer of the puck with zero vision.

This guy was stuck on the bench because he sucks. He's had 150 games here to show something, and he just didn't. At all. He's a fringe NHL player.

Hopefully he's bought out so we can spend his cap hit on something decent.

Towel-Power

GoCanucksGo
Apr 1, 2007
HomeoftheClassless

Would I have played him before Barker? Yes. But that doesn't mean he doesn't suck.

Ballard is a crap, undersized defender who is prone to consistent brain farts in his own zone, and is a crap offensive player because he's a hopeless passer of the puck with zero vision.

This guy was stuck on the bench because he sucks. He's had 150 games here to show something, and he just didn't. At all. He's a fringe NHL player.

You're going to be surprised when you see Ballard play under a different coach and system. Fringe NHLer? Not even close. He's been treated awful here. Never was given a chance from the get go. His mind has been ***** with under AV. Hard to get any play going when you're on the bench for every mistake you make and guys like Edler and Bieksa get free passes to mess up a 100 times a game.

And the reason he has so many fans is because despite all this, he has never complained once. He has been a true professional. Luongo gets a ton of praise for handling things the right way but Ballard should too.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Ballard can still be a solution for some teams. He didn't click with the Coach. That happens. If there is a team seeking a puck carrying Dman who can charge up the ice during changes, here's your guy.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Yup.

Liked the acquisition at the time, but he hasn't been good his whole time here. I don't get the love-in here, never have. Alberts was far and away better than him at the end of the year, that's why he didn't play. It's none of this AV stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad