Keith Ballard as a forward...

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
He skates backwards half of the time. But it's just a temporarily role for him

:laugh: This helps him IMO, a couple of times he was out of position just a little, the opposition player thinks he can stand him up or get around him, then boom, he has nowhere to go since Ballard can turn into a D man and squeeze him out.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
He looks smarter and physically more effective than Weise/Pinizotto/Sestito so far, at least.

Booth is better obviously, but it actually does remind me of when Booth was on the 4th line making it look alot better.

Nov 1, 2011
He's been looking pretty good on forward, but if it means that we're stuck with Alberts on D than this is not a long term solution.

Ballard being available as a defenseman has nothing to do with whether or not Alberts draws in...

Ballard was sitting for Alberts and Barker for a bit before we had forward injuries.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
. A few times you can see him drifting back towards the blue line instead of hanging around the goal. The call the of blue line is still pretty strong, must be hard trying to fight that after years of not trying to get caught in to deep. I've like Ballard but he's got a way to go as a forward, which is promising because it's room for improvement.

PearJuice*

Because the Sedins don't spend much time in their own zone all that much most games, so having Alberts just having to watch the Sedins cycle and once and a while touch the puck is a lot better than having him hemmed in his own zone.

I understand your reasoning, but completely disagree. Alberts was terrible in the offensive zone tonight.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I kinda like him as a LW on a "shutdown" line.

He is chippy, can skate it in and cycle very well. The best part is on transition its basically like having 3 dmen back there.

member 105785

I actually don't mind it, he's a pest, plays pretty hard, is a smart guy and wouldn't be a terrible shut down winger on a 3rd/4th line

Gotta make due with what we've got

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I am sure Ballard doesn't care at all. He's getting important ice-time and is helping the team.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I understand your reasoning, but completely disagree. Alberts was terrible in the offensive zone tonight.

Having him be terrible 180 feet from his net is generally preferable to having him be terrible 4 feet from his net.

TheDiver*

D-men playing forward is becoming more common.

Derek Meech did it in Detroit, Iain White in Toronto, Mark Streit in Montreal for a whole season, Byfuglien in Chicago for a whole playoff, Brent Burns in Minnesota, Matt Gilroy, Aaron Rome, Jord Hendrey etc.

Its not a new thing either. Ray Bourque in Boston would play on a line with Rick Middleton and Barry Pederson. Phil Housley played forward. Lindy Ruff, when he got too old and slow, moved from D to forward, Rob Zettler too.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
The Alberts hate is really unwarranted.

What do you expect from a guy who gets spot starts and no time to create any sort of consistency within his game?

TheDiver*

The Alberts hate is really unwarranted.

What do you expect from a guy who gets spot starts and no time to create any sort of consistency within his game?

Exactly.

I guess people need something to complain about. That's the only explanation for people actually criticizing our 6'6 defensive/physical and 7th defenseman's offensive zone play.

That's like criticizing an offensive lineman for not running with enough speed when he picks up a fumble.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Surprising good, I must say.
And he enjoys it too.
There is an extra spring in his step.
Maybe he is just happy to play.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
D-men playing forward is becoming more common.

Derek Meech did it in Detroit, Iain White in Toronto, Mark Streit in Montreal for a whole season, Byfuglien in Chicago for a whole playoff, Brent Burns in Minnesota, Matt Gilroy, Aaron Rome, Jord Hendrey etc.

Its not a new thing either. Ray Bourque in Boston would play on a line with Rick Middleton and Barry Pederson. Phil Housley played forward. Lindy Ruff, when he got too old and slow, moved from D to forward, Rob Zettler too.

Brent Burns was drafted as a forward.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

It's not a coincidence AV does this with Alberts, Barker etc. As mentioned above, it;s better for them to be as far from their own net to make mistakes, rather than a few feet from it.

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
Ballard looks good as forward so far. He even got an assist against the Avs. I've always liked Ballard... If only his contract was lower.

Assuming he keeps this up, and gets at least the same ice time as he would as a D-man, then I think he can potentially stay there. At least for a little while.

Lemurion

Mar 10, 2011
I think Ballard's a pretty solid defensive winger/third liner. He makes too much for the role, but he's not bad at it.

PearJuice*

Having him be terrible 180 feet from his net is generally preferable to having him be terrible 4 feet from his net.

I don't think Alberts is terrible in his own end, provided he isn't asked to do anything more than be a 6th D man.

It doesn't make sense to put him in a role he is incapable of. Why neuter our scoring line with his presence?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad