Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Keep Leivo for a bottom 6 wing position

Motte sits in the press box

Goldobin moves on

Gaudette is one of the first call-ups

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Leivo and Goldy are on very favorable 'club-friendly', contracts, so there's no way either guy would clear waivers. And Green appears to love Motte's motor. In fact he said that the Beagle-Motte-Schaller line was his best in Edmonton. So I doubt he ends up on waivers either. And although Gaudette doesn't need waivers to go down, I''m becoming more convinced that they want him to grow his game at the NHL-level.

I'm still thinking that Jimbo has to have some sort of deal in mind to clear up his roster logjam. Just too many bottom-six forwards who are too good to clear waivers. So something has to give.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
I'm surprised Motte is 4th, he's the only one I feel deserves to stay up. He was fine in a checking role last year which is what this team needs from its 12/13th forwards. Unless you want to see Virtanen buried on the 4th line it makes sense to use these spots for guys who can play that heavy defensive zone start role, which Motte can do passably.

I tend to agree with the notion that Gaudette would benefit from some time being the #1 center in Utica. For me this year is all about where he develops best, and I'd rather him there than in the press box. If he impresses throughout the rest of training camp then give him the third line spot, otherwise let him hone his offensive game in the minors.

Goldobin and Leivo are replacement level top 6 guys. Leivo might be able to stick on a third line somewhere but here's he's stuck behind Boeser, Miller, Pearson, Ferland, Baertschi, Virtanen and Roussell. Neither guy has shown much improvement over their time here which makes it tough to be high on any chance of major development. Waive them.

Schaller sucks but he can play center,
so I'd prefer him as the 13th forward than someone like Goldobin who is only usable as a sheltered winger. If anyone gets hurt long term they should be bringing up Gaudette anyways so this role is just emergency stand in situations IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am toxic

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Leivo is an obvious choice; good player, great analytics.

Gaudette can light it up in Utica (either Sutter will be dealt soon or he’ll probably be injured so expect Gaudette not to stay in Utica for long).

Goldobin would be my second choice. Perfect as the 13th forward simply because he would get claimed off waivers going back and forth from the A to the big club.

Motte - like his play but will probably start in Utica. He’s the Biega version of forwards, should be the first call up in case of injuries (could get claimed off waivers).

Schaller - decent showing in preseason but not enough to warrant a roster spot.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Leivo is an obvious choice; good player, great analytics.

Gaudette can light it up in Utica (either Sutter will be dealt soon or he’ll probably be injured so expect Gaudette not to stay in Utica for long).

Goldobin would be my second choice simply because he would get claimed off waivers.

Motte - like his play but will probably start in Utica. He’s the Biega version of forwards, should be the first call up in case of injuries (could get claimed off waivers).

Schaller - decent showing in preseason but not enough to warrant a roster spot.
Don’t see Schaller or Eriksson getting claimed. Have to take a cap hit if you send them down later.

Motte, Leivo, Goldy if they don’t work out for a team can get them completely off the cap.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Voted Motte and Goldobin.

Cheapest contracts.

I'd try and trade Leivo for a pick...he's not good enough to score and not good enough to check, although I'd explore moving Virtanen for a better package of picks.

Gaudette isn't an NHL C at this point. Best for the team and the player to get oodles of ice time in Utica. I think they need to ultimately push him to the wing if he's ultimately going to have an NHL career.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I voted Leivo and Goldobin

Gaudette still needs some time in the ahl. He just doesn't seem to process the game fast enough.

Schaller. No comment, Everyone know why he should be gone.

Motte, I don't think he is an nhl player.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Leivo's a slam dunk here.

Probably send Gaud down to play more.

Goldy... wouldn't be the best choice as a 4th line guy, maybe as a depth offensive player.

Motte & Schaller both fit that role, as does Eriksson, who is probably better than both of them & Goldy.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Leivo and Motte for me. Goldobin looks like the same contact-shy, lazy player that got him benched last year. I just don't think he'll get it, and I don't think Green tolerates more of the same from him. Time to move on. Leivo has decent size and can at least identify the guy he has to check. Motte at least busts his ass and puts his body on the line.
Gaudette is waiver exempt and adds to our depth. That also allows us to carry 8 dmen - although I'm not sold on Fantenberg.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Of the options, Motte and Schaller are the least likely to be claimed. Gaudette is waiver exempt. I'd keep Goldobin and Leivo up if we're truly looking to run a top 9 team.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Keep Leivo for a bottom 6 wing position

Motte sits in the press box

Goldobin moves on

Gaudette is one of the first call-ups

I would actually keep Goldobin and waive Motte. Goldobin could be a backup in case Baer goes down. Similar to Gaudette is a backup in case Sutter goes down. There are no offensive forward prospects in Utica to get called up if any of the top 6 goes down.

Last edited:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Yeah, Motte and Leivo for me. Motte is actually really effective in his role and genuinely has a place on this team. It was a toss-up between Leivo and Goldobin for me but I went with Leivo because he's more serviceable than Goldobin when not scoring. He's a really good 13th forward in my mind.

Goldobin and Gaudette are useful as top 6 mainstays in the AHL and Gaudette especially could benefit from the development time. Schaller is the obvious cut for me just based on the contract.

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
Eriksson should be on that list
I think it's time to move on with the LE hate. He is still a decent player, who is better right now than motte, Shaller, Leivo. Motte had terrible underlying numbers LE is still a 40 point player, who can still have a role with the team.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think it's time to move on with the LE hate. He is still a decent player, who is better right now than motte, Shaller, Leivo. Motte had terrible underlying numbers LE is still a 40 point player, who can still have a role with the team.
uh no he isn't a 40pt player and Leivo is better and Motte brings speed and tempo which might be more important on a 4th line if Eriksson cannot make his penalty killing pay off

his wheels are falling off and he's soft as butter with no discernable qualities at this stage of his career. Add to that he doesn't see eye to eye with the coach.

He probably busts his hump enough to make it for a couple months then starts to tail off.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Kept Goldobin and Motte.Goldobin should get another shot to see if he can find his game in a top 6 role even if it means platooning him with someone like Leivo.
Leivo can also stay while Bae gets a stint in Utica to try and get back up to speed.Pretty much zero chance he gets claimed with his salary and injury history.
Motte is a good fourth line energy/PK guy who might get claimed and we don’t really have anyone else with a similar skillset to replace him if he doesn’t clear.

Hockey Gaud could use some top six minutes in Utica to develop his game and Schaller will easily pass waivers and adds depth.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I chose Leivo and Goldy. I think Leivo is a lock to be on the roster. Others I don't know. My guess is that Motte would be on the team. Hopefully a good trade materializes.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Schaller's dead weight.

Between Leivo and Motte, I take Leivo easily. Between Goldobin and Gaudette, I take Gaudette. I think Goldobin's as good as he's going to get, but I still hold out hope for Gaudette to substantially improve. I'd rather give him the shot over someone the coach clearly doesn't trust enough.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Eriksson hasn't put up even close to 40 points in 3 seasons now and I would bet he continues his downward trend this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad