Keep 2, Waive 3 Right Now...

1 wing spot and 13th forward open... Select the 2 you keep

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Just to get a current snapshot...

Say this is how the roster is shaping up...

Pettersson, Horvat, Sutter, Beagle
Ferland, Miller, Boeser, Baertschi, Eriksson, Pearson, Virtanen

Let's ASSUME those 11 bodies will comprise 13 forward spots.

Thinking of role, versatility, asset management.. Of the remaining, which 2 would you keep to round out the group as the 12th and 13th forwards.

Leivo, Gaudette*, Motte, Goldobin, Schaller
*waiver exempt

Who are the two you are keeping, who are the three you are waiving?

I'll leave it open for three days so people can change their votes if they wish after tonight or Saturday's game...

+++++++++++++++++++

Bonus follow up question...

We also have the option of carrying 14F and 7D

Would you risk losing one of Fantenberg/Biega to waivers to save one of the forwards you chose to waive to carry 14F-7D instead?

Last edited:

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Probably Leivo and Motte. Gaudette needs AHL time and I'm not sure if Goldobin can hang on the 3rd/4th line. Motte has been good for us in an energy role.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
I believe Gaudette is exempt from waivers, combined with the fact that he looks like he belongs in the AHL right now, waiving him seems to be an easy choice. Went with keeping Goldobin and Leivo over Motte based on goal scoring abilities. Waiving Schaller also seems like an easy choice.

Reactions: Peen

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Probably Leivo and Motte. Gaudette needs AHL time and I'm not sure if Goldobin can hang on the 3rd/4th line. Motte has been good for us in an energy role.

I believe Gaudette is exempt from waivers, combined with the fact that he looks like he belongs in the AHL right now, waiving him seems to be an easy choice. Went with keeping Goldobin and Leivo over Motte based on goal scoring abilities. Waiving Schaller also seems like an easy choice.

Would you risk losing one of Fantenberg/Biega to waivers to save one one of the forwards you chose to waive to carry 14F-7D instead?

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009

Would you risk losing one of Fantenberg/Biega to waivers to save one one of the forwards you chose to waive to carry 14F-7D instead?

Under my original voting scenario we would have risked losing Motte and Schaller (Gaudette is exempt and not at risk of being lost). If I could save one of them using your bonus question scenario it would be Motte.

I'll admit that I haven't seen Fantenberg play enough to warrant much of an opinion, but I've seen enough of Biega to know he could make a valid 7D. So long story short, I guess I would risk losing Fantenberg to save Motte.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Motte for his energy and PKIng and Leivo for the bottom six and his size.
I would go with 13 fwds and 8 d because....injuries.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He needs low minutes for max effort. He's useless without max effort.
Like how low? Do you mean shift length or do you mean situational usage, or just TOI?
How would you ensure to get max effort outta him? or anyone for that matter...

Pretty general comment there...

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Like how low? Do you mean shift length or do you mean situational usage, or just TOI?
How would you ensure to get max effort outta him? or anyone for that matter...

Pretty general comment there...

Well he always starts off like a raging beast and then slowly turns to shit from too much ice time. I don't know the exact number but 12:46 TOI/GP is clearly too much. under 10 for sure.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I went Motte and Goldobin. I actually kind of like Motte on our 4th line and PK, and I chose Goldobin because he can fill in on the top 6 when injuries hit. While I liked his game in Victoria, I hated it the other night. But, that's Goldobin for you.

I would find another way to keep Leivo. As for Gaudette, it's pretty obvious so far that he's not ready for the NHL yet. With Schaller, I forgot he was here. Destined for the AHL.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Leivo for sure. Gaudette is exempt from waivers, so he’s an injury call-up.

100% take Motte over Schaller.

Undecided over hoping Goldobin figures it out or go with the guy who has already hit his depth/4th line ceiling but is a more valuable player at this point.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Leivo and Goldobin. I agree that Gaudette needs AHL time and I wish he had a full AHL season but injuries happened.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Well he always starts off like a raging beast and then slowly turns to **** from too much ice time. I don't know the exact number but 12:46 TOI/GP is clearly too much. under 10 for sure.

Well.. at least you are one of the few that understands individual players have a sweet spot for ice time... that you cant just prorate /60 stats all willy nilly and think that's a valid extrapolation...
But I digress.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I went with keeping Leivo and Goldobin. I think they have the most skill and bring an element that the three cuts can't replace. If Goldobin's commitment to playing defense isn't just a pre-season mirage both he and Leivo can play anywhere in the top 9 as needed.

Gaudette is an easy cut because we have no risk of losing him and he looks like he needs more AHL time to grow.

Motte is next, he's the one I'd like to keep over Eriksson just for his energy and ability to fill a roll on the PK. I also think he's slightly less likely to be claimed than the two I've opted to keep.

Schaller was a plug all of last year and I can't imagine he'll bring more this season. Easy choice to cut who won't be claimed and between him and Gaudette give us some easily waived and recalled injury replacements.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Keep Leivo and Goldobin.

You simply assign Gaudette to Utica. He doesn't get waived.

Waive Schaller and Motte.

You can always recall one or both of whomever you waive assuming they clear and trade him for one of the 2 kept if one or both don't pan out. The waived players are also going to be available for recalls for the inevitable multiple injuries that will be suffered by the Canucks. They go on a days on the roster/GP scorecard to be able to be returned to Utica without having to be waived again. It's that time in the season that waiver claims more often occur since teams are looking to replace an injury or send a failed experiment back to the AHL.

I would not entertain your second option of 7 D. I think those extra 2 D-men are much more important to the season than any member of the 4 forwards that are being jockeyed around. Losing one of those D-men to a waiver claim with the potential replacements available in Utica is not advisable.

Reactions: Bougieman

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
It is a very tough call as to which of Leivo and Goldobin play with less intensity and I would be surprised if either make the team. Leivo is the more likely of the two as he has a NHL shot anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->