News Article: Keefe planning for Mid December Training Camp...

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Makes sense.

Friedman said on Tim and Sid IIRC that Bettman wants a January 1st start but it may end up being mid January.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This article on the League attempts to reneging on a signed deal could see players/ League in court. Walsh: NHL players angry at having 'proverbial gun pointed' at them over season
The players are going to say we have a deal already lets play,league will refuse and then it’s war.
Yep I heard it amongst da kids 2-3 days ago when it leaked to da kids. Kids like Mitch and Matty won't earn 1 single nickel next season as they got bonus money which is apparently is in this new owners demand too. So all of their salary will be kept by owners because they don't have much until they catch up in 2-3 years. Folks it is gonna get very ugly when players show up and league locks them out. But da owners know this already so likely plan is to start up again in October 2021 when fans will be back in da stands. Da owners led by da Jacobs gang feel they can push da players around to playing. It is a game of Russian roulette. Da owners do not want to FUND their league in 2020/21 get used to it quick. They have run their numbers and da gang does not care what Leafs think. It is life in da Jacobs controlled world of NHL.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yep I heard it amongst da kids 2-3 days ago when it leaked to da kids. Kids like Mitch and Matty won't earn 1 single nickel next season as they got bonus money which is apparently is in this new owners demand too. So all of their salary will be kept by owners because they don't have much until they catch up in 2-3 years. Folks it is gonna get very ugly when players show up and league locks them out. But da owners know this already so likely plan is to start up again in October 2021 when fans will be back in da stands. Da owners led by da Jacobs gang feel they can push da players around to playing. It is a game of Russian roulette. Da owners do not want to FUND their league in 2020/21 get used to it quick. They have run their numbers and da gang does not care what Leafs think. It is life in da Jacobs controlled world of NHL.

It’s going to be a flat cap for 4 years probably, I think the payers should play for 50/50 this year instead of kicking can down the road, so cap has a chance to increase sooner. With flat cap how does Reilly and new goalie get paid.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It’s going to be a flat cap for 4 years probably, I think the payers should play for 50/50 this year instead of kicking can down the road, so cap has a chance to increase sooner. With flat cap how does Reilly and new goalie get paid.
Hyman needs to be signed too. We hopefully don’t let Hyman walk away. He wants to stay in Toronto first and foremost. He’s not going to take a soaking to do it

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

It amazes me how someone can go from a hero to a villain in the span of few years

I really like Babs in the beginning, he's exactly what this team and organization needed. But at the end I just couldn't stand him anymore, everything he said was just so annoying. Especially being a good pro, doing the right things

He was too much of a self help guru than a hockey coach sometimes

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
It amazes me how someone can go from a hero to a villain in the span of few years

I really like Babs in the beginning, he's exactly what this team and organization needed. But at the end I just couldn't stand him anymore, everything he said was just so annoying. Especially being a good pro, doing the right things

I still think he's a great coach but his ego got the better of him. That and he was not provided players here to do certain roles effectively that was needed in his system. There was a style clash with Dubas and Babcock philosophy and it became more obvious the team was steered in Dubas' vision.

The reality check might set him straight though, I mean being fired as a coach who achieved practically everything and could have cemented himself on the Mount Rushmore of coaches by bringing the Leafs back to the promise land must have hurt big time.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
This article on the League attempts to reneging on a signed deal could see players/ League in court. Walsh: NHL players angry at having 'proverbial gun pointed' at them over season
The players are going to say we have a deal already lets play,league will refuse and then it’s war.

The league is not going to just play for the sake of players making money...they are not going to be losing millions of dollars because the players say its unfair. These guys don't see how tone deaf they are being right now? I know people who have been destroyed financially and they can never recover...but the players say they made a deal? It's comical actually....when the salary cap goes down to 50M in a few years and they are all making pennies on the dollar compared to what they were used to...I will laugh at them. Corporate seats are not going to be a thing that is a must have in the future...they are belt tightening ...players should learn what that means, especially in a gate revenue driven league.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The league is not going to just play for the sake of players making money...they are not going to be losing millions of dollars because the players say its unfair. These guys don't see how tone deaf they are being right now? I know people who have been destroyed financially and they can never recover...but the players say they made a deal? It's comical actually....when the salary cap goes down to 50M in a few years and they are all making pennies on the dollar compared to what they were used to...I will laugh at them. Corporate seats are not going to be a thing that is a must have in the future...they are belt tightening ...players should learn what that means, especially in a gate revenue driven league.
What you say is true but still does not make it right what Bettman did ... you don't make a false deal with someone to get players back on ice so you can keep your media $$$ and then say well SORRY we did this contract but now we can't live by it ... it completely builds bad faith between players and owners ... da players have never trusted da owners but now it is poisoned ... good luck getting a 2020/21 season in with this development ... but I think Jacobs already knew what his strategy was going to be ... never trust a snake ... as a true Leaf fan you should learn your lesson

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What you say is true but still does not make it right what Bettman did ... you don't make a false deal with someone to get players back on ice so you can keep your media $$$ and then say well SORRY we did this contract but now we can't live by it ... it completely builds bad faith between players and owners ... da players have never trusted da owners but now it is poisoned ... good luck getting a 2020/21 season in with this development ... but I think Jacobs already knew what his strategy was going to be ... never trust a snake ... as a true Leaf fan you should learn your lesson

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Babs was a good coach. Tried to get the players to buy-in to playing low event, 200 foot hockey. The element you must have if you're going to win anything of note in this league.

Lost the room trying to teach them that in the end. Jury's still out if this core group has what it takes to win, but signs point towards no given their propensity to fold in big moments.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Babs was a good coach. Tried to get the players to buy-in to playing low event, 200 foot hockey. The element you must have if you're going to win anything of note in this league.

Lost the room trying to teach them that in the end. Jury's still out if this core group has what it takes to win, but signs point towards no given their propensity to fold in big moments.

Didn't Tampa just win by being the best offensive team in the league?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Didn't Tampa just win by being the best offensive team in the league?
I think Tampa got lucky because of the shutdown. Teams always ramp up the defensive play late in the season and going into the playoffs high event hockey is almost non-existent. This year, however, because of the shutdown, teams came back and were still rusty going into the playoffs and we saw a ton of teams playing high event hockey who were successful. I personally thought, last year would've been our best shot at making a deep run and had it not been for absurd goaltending and defensive luck for the Jackets, we might've had a shot.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

And then he was asked to leave and the team showed a lack of heart throughout the season and were run out of their own arena in the qualifying round 5 on 5.

Everything that Babcock ever said was exactly right. We needed more good pros. Ironically after the disaster that was the 19-20 campaign, Dubas spent the offseason trying to bring in good pros like Thornton, Simmons, Bogo, etc. Meanwhile Dubas felt the year prior it was important to fill the roster with guys like Barrie, AJ and Kap over guys like Kadri, Hainsey and Marleau. If only Dubas worked with his coach instead of trying to undermine him, the team wouldn't be in a downward spiral.

I look forward to the article two years from now when we are talking about being one year removed from firing Shanny and Dubas.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

The thing baffling from the players side is that escrow IS part and always has been part of their agreement. The very nature of it means it will fluctuate from year to year. If they are trying to argue that the league is hiding revenues or something, that would be different. But saying we had an agreement on a data point that is always changing makes them look really stupid not just tone deaf.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
And then he was asked to leave and the team showed a lack of heart throughout the season and were run out of their own arena in the qualifying round 5 on 5.

Everything that Babcock ever said was exactly right. We needed more good pros. Ironically after the disaster that was the 19-20 campaign, Dubas spent the offseason trying to bring in good pros like Thornton, Simmons, Bogo, etc. Meanwhile Dubas felt the year prior it was important to fill the roster with guys like Barrie, AJ and Kap over guys like Kadri, Hainsey and Marleau. If only Dubas worked with his coach instead of trying to undermine him, the team wouldn't be in a downward spiral.

I look forward to the article two years from now when we are talking about being one year removed from firing Shanny and Dubas.
That firing won’t happen as the coach and players brought in will help. It’s on the players much more than management. If it goes south whatever players struggled or p!ssed anyone off the most will be butchered. They aren’t allowed to play like they have in the past. The honeymoon really is over now with all these draft picks. They don’t get and slack now. Five years later you should know how to play to win. If not I don’t care who deserves to be traded. The players are on the clock in the top 4 salaries.

Reactions: freshwind

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

It wasn't Babcock trying to get the team to commit to a certain style that did him in, it was his actual coaching decisions and locker room antics that turned the team off.

The constant insubordination with the GM didn't help either.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
That firing won’t happen as the coach and players brought in will help. It’s on the players much more than management. If it goes south whatever players struggled or p!ssed anyone off the most will be butchered. They aren’t allowed to play like they have in the past. The honeymoon really is over now with all these draft picks. They don’t get and slack now. Five years later you should know how to play to win. If not I don’t care who deserves to be traded. The players are on the clock in the top 4 salaries.

One of those players is Tavares. You telling me he needs 4th liners to tell him you need to compete every night?

The only players who ever showed heart (Kadri, Hainsey, etc.) get moved because Dubas likes no contract hockey.

Plus there's no reason to think Marner, Matthews or Nylander will suddenly show a bunch of grit. They just don't have it in their DNA. Dubas likes the style they play, if he didn't, he would have moved on from one or two of them. Even Keefe himself, he was brought in to be a sweetheart to the players in contrast to Babcock. So there's nobody in that room that will take charge and show these guys how to play the right way or administer any consequences. These guys have been in the league long enough, they are what they are.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It wasn't Babcock trying to get the team to commit to a certain style that did him in, it was his actual coaching decisions and locker room antics that turned the team off.

The constant insubordination with the GM didn't help either.

And look how successful the team was without him... oh wait...

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Babcock never had the same injury run that Keefe had this year, and on top of that, Andersen didn't play this bad under him ever.

CyNick, you lack a lot when it comes to arguments, you need to put more time and research into your points.

Lol theres always some excuse.

I researched by watching the games and seeing the team score ZERO goals in multiple qualifying games including in an elimination game. I researched by watching them get embarrassed by a zamboni driver. I researched by watching them go on a California trip late in the year and get humiliated by three of the worst teams in the league.

The team plays a gutless style which is a direct reflection of Dubas' personality.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well good that Keefe is readying for camp at that time. Hopefully it ends up happening. Figures we'd get one more showdown between the NHL and Players after getting so-called labor peace a few months ago.

As to the team side of things, I sure as heck hope they get it figured out this year. They didn't get it done last year and showed the same 'meh whatever' attitude as the season went on after the honeymoon phase passed. Can only hope that cramming vets and guys that can't afford to waste even one season onto the roster will get us somewhere. In the end we need Matthews, Nylander, and Marner, in particular to get it done.

If they can't then all the excuses aren't going to matter for long. Dubas, the core, and Shanahan will all take some serious heat as they should.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad