Post-Game Talk: Kasshole

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ok
I have a different take. I think Kass did an awesome job holding his temper and not responding to the first hit.
I believe if any other player would have made the second hit on Kass, he would've dusted himself off and got on with game. Pissed yes, but carry on.
The fact it was Tkachuk again, and the type of hit it was, set him off, at least to me. And I don't blame him. But the time still doesn't have any impact for me.

Anyway i can't figure out the venom on our board. It wasn't great but wasn't a horrible situation.

Also think officiating handled it poorly. For all those griping about Kass, or even Tkachuk for that matter, it's only because of the combatants. Take ANY two players and have one hit the other in that fashion twice and there will be some kind of answer.

Completely fair take.
I think my initial reaction was primarily centered around the team getting the win last night and how that outburst gave the Flames a lift...not the Oilers. That pissed me off. :nod:

So prior to posting this I went back and watched the 2nd hit a few times on the PVR. That could have been called a penalty and probably should have been called. So I am willing to reverse my position and cut Kassian some slack here.
I would still rather see him hammer Johnny because I think that would ultimately benefit the team more than going after Tkachuk like he did but (after reviewing it again) I can understand why he did it.

The fact that Kassian has to now deal with the League and Tkachuks actions get validated is ridiculous.

Reactions: LaGu and RegDunlop

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
Nurse was a huge disappointment to me last night. No fire in his belly at all.

I was very surprised by his lack of engagement as well to be honest. I barely noticed him on the ice, which isn’t a bad thing either I suppose, but we definitely need him fired up for a game like that. Luckily we don’t have to wait long to play the flames again, after last night I except everyone to be playing with a lot more intensity. I’m also curious to see what fake tough guy Rasmus “everyone is a pretender but me” Andersson is going to do next game, would love for him to try and prove how tough he is by getting his face rearranged by Nurse again.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Completely fair take.
I think my initial reaction was primarily centered about the team getting the win last night and how that outburst gave the Flames a lift...not the Oilers. That pissed me off. :nod:

So prior to posting this I went back and watched the 2nd hit a few times on the PVR. That could have been called a penalty and probably should have been called. So I am willing to reverse my position and cut Kassian some slack here.
I would still rather see him hammer Johnny because I think that would ultimately benefit the team more than going after Tkachuk like he did but (after reviewing it again) I can understand why he did it.

The fact that Kassian has to now deal with the League and Tkachuks actions get validated is ridiculous.

Ive just been catching up after watching the game late last night.
Did the league call for Kass?

And agree it would be better to annihilate a Johnny or other star, but there's a reason the lityle puke is successful in the league. He is smart and evasive. Usually end up looking foolish if you target those types.

Thinking about it, I would actually try to goad Lucic. He can easily get off his game, take foolish penalties, and is too slow to be a factor. And if that's the gameplan, I'd seriously target Lindholm for some major abuse.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
You know something...after reading what some of the Flames players had to say after the game and providing all the bulletin board quotes they did, this could be the loss that unites the team.

You can guarantee Tippett will be reading them out at the next practice or in the video meeting.

What a clown Ratmouse Andersson is. Signs his first big NHL deal and his mouth starts writing cheques his ass can't cash (someone posted Nurse using him as a punching bag from a few years back) :laugh:.
Flames team and fans are clowns.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I'm fine with what Kassian did, somebody has to jump in when there's a hit like that, and that's usually his job. Our team needs to kill those penalties off and if they don't, they need to score again. Next game should be a good one and I really hope someone absolutely levels Tkachuk.

I'm actually of the opinion that if Kass was hurt and on the ice from the hit, McD would've drooped his gloves.
I think he was close but Kass handled it himself.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ive just been catching up after watching the game late last night.
Did the league call for Kass?

And agree it would be better to annihilate a Johnny or other star, but there's a reason the lityle puke is successful in the league. He is smart and evasive. Usually end up looking foolish if you target those types.

Thinking about it, I would actually try to goad Lucic. He can easily get off his game, take foolish penalties, and is too slow to be a factor. And if that's the gameplan, I'd seriously target Lindholm for some major abuse.

I think we are on the same page here.

I just went back and watched the 1st hit and that may have been worse than the 2nd hit. Kassian is likely going to be suspended and I would be shocked if the League didnt suspend him for the next game against the Flames.

I think that hammering the Flames stars is the smartest option here. Then once there is a game out of hand have a player like Khaira severely slap Tkachuk silly. He will probably get suspended for it but it would be taking one for the team. The players can pool together and pay Khaira the money lost.

Thats how I would like to see it handled.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I think we are on the same page here.

I just went back and watched the 1st and that may have been worse than the 2nd hit. Kassian is likely going to be suspended and I would be shocked if the League didnt suspend him for the next game against the Flames.

I think that hammering the Flames stars is the smartest option here. Then once there is a game out of hand have a player like Khaira severely slap Tkachuk silly. He will probably get suspended for it but it would be taking one for the team. The players can pool together and pay Khaira the money lost.

Thats how I would like to see it handled.

Agree.
But I don't even need Kharia or anyone to goon him or anyone else up. Just play physical until they have to respond.
Exactly what the Flames did. I'm good with everything that went down in the game except the extended PP. Calgary, Tkachuk espescially played it smart.

But, as you pointed out, it's the fact that these hits were infractions, both of them and the first predator IMO. Officiating lwt this play out then they penalized the Oilers even more with the 4min call.

That first hit was atrocious to me. Still can't fathom what Hugh and Simpson saw and not much discussion about it.

Anyway - I was entertained and outside of winning every game, that's all I can ask for. Being old school, I'll always default to being the victor in the physicality!
Chance to get even coming right up!

Reactions: guymez

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
The BOA is back, however IMO it's pathetic that Kassian decides to light up Tkachuk but let Gio go unscathed the game that Connor got hurt. I would assume that Lucic comes calling for Kassian the next time that we play. Kass isn't winning that one.

Oh I hope so!!!
And disagree. While not the same fight class, I think Lucic's sun is setting as fast in that dept as his play.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Yeah I don't actually have any issue with Brady. Keith wasn't that bad either to my recollection, but that was a few years ago now, so maybe I'm not remembering all his antics.
I don’t remember Keith ever being a p***y when it came to dropping the mits. He should feel embarrassed when it comes to Matthew.

Reactions: RegDunlop

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Why exactly was the timing awful???
Don't get this take.

Because its a tie game going into the 3rd period. The game hangs in the balance. I couldnt care less if Kassian ragdolled turtleboy if they were up 4 1 or 5 3 with a few minutes left in the game. You dont do it when they get a huge advantage of a 4 minute powerplay.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Because its a tie game going into the 3rd period. The game hangs in the balance. I couldnt care less if Kassian ragdolled turtleboy if they were up 4 1 or 5 3 with a few minutes left in the game. You dont do it when they get a huge advantage of a 4 minute powerplay.

Would you care if it was at 1:03 into the first period?
Would you have gotten pumped up and excited? Or would you've said 'the game hangs in the balance?'
To me it's absurd. Again if there was less than 5 mins left in game would be the only way that the time of incident matters to me. Then we'd be shorthanded with little tome to respond should they take the lead.
Not to mention the fact that the call was BS

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016

Rule 42 - Charging

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner. Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

Both hits on Kassian are exactly this part of the rule.

1st hit Tkachuk had the time for 4 strides. The last hit he took 5 strides.

What the f*** is wrong with this league. Tkurtle should also be getting a hearing too.

I can understand the refs can't have eyes on everything that happens, the game is so fast and so much is going on. But the NHL DoPS has the replays.

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
Oh I hope so!!!
And disagree. While not the same fight class, I think Lucic's sun is setting as fast in that dept as his play.

I doubt lucic even cares about what happened last night, he isn’t the big physical enforcer everyone in the league used to be scared of which we know first hand. Don’t get me wrong hes still a tough sob, but even if he did come after kassian the best thing he could do is just bait him into taking a stupid penalty, although Kass plays with too much emotion and pride and he would gladly drop them if called upon.

Reactions: RegDunlop

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

Good for you Scotty!!!

If Kassian gets anything more than a stupid irrelevant fine, then I'm going to F ing die on this hill.

I can be extremely unbiased and not Oilercentric. But...
The first hit NEEDS to be looked at. Am I seeing something different from others? It was predatory.
After looking at second hit again and at different angle(s), I'll change my stance from borderline dirty hit to ABSOLUTELY CHARGING.

Officiated produced this. Plain and simple. WTF did these officials think would happen when two physical combatants on bitter rival teams have 2 confrontations where one player is besting the other with illegal and predatory hits?

Absolute bulls**t that he gets called and not Tkachuk

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
No he won't. The league loves Tkachuk. He doesn't "have a history", if you giving believe that.

The league loves all these gutless ****ing punks until they ruin someone's career. It's like we said when they put in the instagator; the league wants to protect ruthless predators like Tkachuk, Cooke, Bertuzzi, Clutterbuck, Torres, etc. The league loves them until they seriously injure someone and then all of the sudden they ask all surprised where this behavior came from as though there wasn't years of escalation left unchecked leading to Michalek / Cooke / Moore / Savard / etc getting their brains absolutely scrambled by one of these clowns.

And check that, it's not even about leaving these guys unchecked, it's actively aiding and abetting them. How Tkachuk gets to clip a guy in the head with that as the sole point of contact after taking runs three separate times and not get so much as a roughing or charging call is a ****ing joke. How these God damn clowns manage to get more calls from the officials than guys like McDavid or MacKinnon that have a guy holding and interfering with them all the way up the ice on every ****ing play is a joke.

Harking back to the instagator and conversion around it; the way to keep the league's Golden Boy in line isn't to punch him. It's too start pulling his shenanigans on the other teams stars. The league loves that ****. Probably leads to Tkachuk getting his first penalty against the Oilers. ;)

Don't get goaded into punching him, goad him into punching you with some "Pronger physics" of your own. I mean, clearly charging doesn't exist. Clearly you can catch all head on a guy all wrapped up by your defenceman, so why the **** wouldn't we? The league loves it and rewards it. Just have to make sure you don't actively concuss a guy in the moment, then you're hooped.

Sadly this is true. The NHL loves instagators. I have no idea why. I guess they think it makes the game entertaining. Watch Tkachuk hit. Half are charging, contact to the head ect. It is insane that a huge advantage for Calgary is having him make illegal hits, then getting a powerplay when some one retaliates. If the refs called the game the way they should the Kass incident never happens. He should have got 5 and a game for the first hit. By the book, it was a charge with contact to the head, but of course the NHL doessn't seem to care until some one gets hurt.

I am actually amazed Tkachuk hasn't already ended some onese career, that elbow to Doughtys face could have easily been career ending.

Reactions: TB12 and RegDunlop

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Good for you Scotty!!!

If Kassian gets anything more than a stupid irrelevant fine, then I'm going to F ing die on this hill.

I can be extremely unbiased and not Oilercentric. But...
The first hit NEEDS to be looked at. Am I seeing something different from others? It was predatory.
After looking at second hit again and at different angle(s), I'll change my stance from borderline dirty hit to ABSOLUTELY CHARGING.

Officiated produced this. Plain and simple. WTF did these officials think would happen when two physical combatants on bitter rival teams have 2 confrontations where one player is besting the other with illegal and predatory hits?

Absolute bulls**t that he gets called and not Tkachuk

100% agree. If the NHL wants to come down hard on Kass they have to watch the hits and see how illegal they were. Simple as that.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I’m surprised Francis can breathe with how much Flames ass he eats on the daily. Pathetic shill.

I live in Calgary, you don’t know the half of it. Constant ass eating of that whole organization, they can never do any wrong. When Flames were called out on several political issues, he was there saying Flames organization can do no wrong (most fans were not on the Flames side). The guy is an idiot

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
100% agree. If the NHL wants to come down hard on Kass they have to watch the hits and see how illegal they were. Simple as that.

Well, apparently they weren't illegal.

So we should be doing the same wrap up behind the net with a winger running 10+ strides to clobber their guys, too.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Would you care if it was at 1:03 into the first period?
Would you have gotten pumped up and excited? Or would you've said 'the game hangs in the balance?'
To me it's absurd. Again if there was less than 5 mins left in game would be the only way that the time of incident matters to me. Then we'd be shorthanded with little tome to respond should they take the lead.
Not to mention the fact that the call was BS

If it was a fight with coincidental penalties 1:03 in yes i'd be pumped. You dont want your team to be punished when its 3 3 heading into the third.

If there was 4 minutes left in a 3 3 game youd be ok with Kassian taking a 4 minute penalty because he didnt like a hit?

Timing matters for these things. Go ahead and smash turtleboy if youre up 4 1 and a few minutes left in a game for all I care. Just dont do it when it will negatively impact your own team. I guarantee Tippett isnt happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad