Former Bruins Karson Kuhlman waived - claimed by Seattle

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
A caller on Felger and Mazz suggests that Heinen is gone due to Kuhlman. I wonder if this is a possibility?

how I see the odds playing out up front next year

sure fire returns
Bergeron
marchand
pastrnak
debrusk
wagner
kurly
coyle
thats seven of 14 jobs id be flabbergasted if they arent back

then we have the guys an argument could be made to move on
krejci... his value will never be higher... high cap hit... ntc is open...my guess is hes back
backes… obvious cap issue... also has his ntc open up
Heinen... played well enough to get a good raise but doesnt have elite upside
Nordstrom... is signed and is versatile... im guessing its not much use to move him

now we are up to 11 jobs filled if we keep these guys so where does that leave us?

accari... ufa… will it make sense to bring him back when we got so many kid centers?
johnasson… ufa... can he make a case to resign with a strong playoff?

as for the kids... I think we got 3 that seem likely to win jobs out of camp unless something goes wrong

Bjork won a job out of camp the last 2 years. he will be 23 this season and will soon run out of chances if he doesnt stick soon

trent federic or forsbacka karlsson or longshot jake studnicka will get every chance to win a spot in that third line mix... coyle isnt likely a longterm solution there.

and then theres kuhlman. I think we see a lineup that looks good and makes sense and is affordable and doesnt require a lot of messing around

Heinen/Bergeron/marchand {we seen these guys... they are good together}
pastrnak/Krejci/Debrusk {if they can find chemistry maybe we got 2 lines}
coyle/kid center/Bjork {we can try an experiment here and hope it works}
wagner/kuhlman/kuraly {im not sure who plays center... but this is the spot I see kuhlman get}
backes/Nordstrom {yes wed like to trade backes but hes easier to trade the longer we wait}

I dont see a need to trade any of Heinen/backes/krejci up front but thats because I am projecting we will trade miller and possibly moore or grezlyck on defense and save a bit of cap room that way

one thing I do feel stron about... kuhlman has bruin dna in him and hes going to be a player for us. if no kid center is ready for the 3rd line then coyle probably plays center and I could see kuhlman fitting in there. I can also see kuhlman taking heinens spot on the top line.

I really really really like what im seeing with kuhlman and his potential to help us

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Like you said before I think it depends on how they
do in the playoffs I wouldn’t guarantee Coyle

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
how I see the odds playing out up front next year

sure fire returns
Bergeron
marchand
pastrnak
debrusk
wagner
kurly
coyle
thats seven of 14 jobs id be flabbergasted if they arent back

then we have the guys an argument could be made to move on
krejci... his value will never be higher... high cap hit... ntc is open...my guess is hes back
backes… obvious cap issue... also has his ntc open up
Heinen... played well enough to get a good raise but doesnt have elite upside
Nordstrom... is signed and is versatile... im guessing its not much use to move him

now we are up to 11 jobs filled if we keep these guys so where does that leave us?

accari... ufa… will it make sense to bring him back when we got so many kid centers?
johnasson… ufa... can he make a case to resign with a strong playoff?

as for the kids... I think we got 3 that seem likely to win jobs out of camp unless something goes wrong

Bjork won a job out of camp the last 2 years. he will be 23 this season and will soon run out of chances if he doesnt stick soon

trent federic or forsbacka karlsson or longshot jake studnicka will get every chance to win a spot in that third line mix... coyle isnt likely a longterm solution there.

and then theres kuhlman. I think we see a lineup that looks good and makes sense and is affordable and doesnt require a lot of messing around

Heinen/Bergeron/marchand {we seen these guys... they are good together}
pastrnak/Krejci/Debrusk {if they can find chemistry maybe we got 2 lines}
coyle/kid center/Bjork {we can try an experiment here and hope it works}
wagner/kuhlman/kuraly {im not sure who plays center... but this is the spot I see kuhlman get}
backes/Nordstrom {yes wed like to trade backes but hes easier to trade the longer we wait}

I dont see a need to trade any of Heinen/backes/krejci up front but thats because I am projecting we will trade miller and possibly moore or grezlyck on defense and save a bit of cap room that way

one thing I do feel stron about... kuhlman has bruin dna in him and hes going to be a player for us. if no kid center is ready for the 3rd line then coyle probably plays center and I could see kuhlman fitting in there. I can also see kuhlman taking heinens spot on the top line.

I really really really like what im seeing with kuhlman and his potential to help us
Krejci going nowhere

As for Kuhlman- the Minnesota-Duluth won the NCAA title same night last year as Bruins makeup game against Florida

We watched the final period afterwards in Legends and saw Kuhlman grab MVP

Because of Red Line, Lou, Eric, and some friends who are hardcore college hockey fans I knew about Kuhlman. I figured Boston would not even be an option but lo and behold Sweeney announces they sign him

I agree I think he plays regularly on that bottom 6

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

aguineapig

Kit Karson Captain Minn Duluth NCAA Div 1 2019 champs. Frozen Four MVP. All academic at UMD 3 straight years.Won USHL Clark Cup as Asst Captain. Just wins everywhere he goes. High marks from all former Coaches and teammates. Dom says Zach S. has the same said about him. Biggest reason those type players here and others who we may drool over not.

gvkmedia

Let’s fight through this….
Mar 2, 2002
Kingsville
www.hollandbloorview.ca
So, in light of what’s been said - I think this is your (DKH + Neely Nugs) preferred lineup?

Marchand-Bergy- Pastrnak
DeBrusk- Krejci - Heinen
Mojo-Coyle-Kuhlman
Nordstrom- Accarri - Wagner
Backes? Maybe?

I switch Kuhlman and Heinen and keep Backes in over Nordstrom.

I had no idea the pedigree Kuhlman has. Interesting.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
So, in light of what’s been said - I think this is your (DKH + Neely Nugs) preferred lineup?

Marchand-Bergy- Heinen
DeBrusk- Krejci - Pasta
Mojo-Coyle-Kuhlman
Kuraly- Accarri - Wagner
Backes? Maybe?

I switch Kuhlman and Heinen and keep Backes in over Nordstrom.

I had no idea the pedigree Kuhlman has. Interesting.

Switch Pasta and Heinen, leave Kuhlman where he is.

When Kuraly is healthy, Nordstrom to the bench.

Plan the parade.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
He had a few more of those quick flashes of higher-end offense again last night. Looking forward to seeing what kind of player he ends up being. I get the feeling he'll be an impact player even if he settles into a career 4th liner.

Reactions: Trizz617

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Switch Pasta and Heinen, leave Kuhlman where he is.

When Kuraly is healthy, Nordstrom to the bench.

Plan the parade.

Heinen did look good on that first line and wouldn't be surprised to see him start there with Pasta on the 2nd. The bruins have some great options. Cool needs to stay in this line up bringing some speed/skill to both 2nd/3rd line...this leaves Nords and Backes. With Nords he plays smart/PK and brings more speed. I don't see how Backes stays in the line up. Kuraly could return as well.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
When he was first called up I thought he was someone with good bottom 6 potential that they stuck in the top 6. He is showing me he has skill potential to play higher up in the lineup. Really interesting what the middle 6 RWs look like for the Bruins next year.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
For sure -

I think he deserves a shot. Especially against the Leafs speed he could be really impactful.

83 over 42 IMO (Not sure if BC has the same opinion).
I don't want to sit Backes because I think hes going to be huge in the playoffs. I'd put Kuhlman in over Heinen due to Heinens no-show in last years playoffs in a hearbeat.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
When he was first called up I thought he was someone with good bottom 6 potential that they stuck in the top 6. He is showing me he has skill potential to play higher up in the lineup. Really interesting what the middle 6 RWs look like for the Bruins next year.

good teams become better teams when they start filling their bottom half of the roster with guys that are capable of stepping up when needed. overfilling positions with guys skilled enough to do more is how depth is made.

next year we are likely to have chara outside the top 3 dmen… thats outstanding depth
we might have coyle in the bottom 6... thats great depth
adding more guys would be fantastic

Reactions: Trizz617

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins’ Karson Kuhlman pushing hard at his game - The Boston Globe

It is too early to say whether Karson Kuhlman will be in the lineup against the Maple Leafs in the playoffs, but he has a shot.

“He’s pushing hard,” Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said Thursday after the rookie winger had another solid game in a 3-0 road win over Minnesota. “He’s certainly in the mix.”

Kuhlman, who has three goals and two assists in his first 10 NHL games, is a dogged forechecker, smart with the puck, and plays at a high pace. His defense is sound. The Bruins believe he has untapped offensive potential, but Kuhlman arrived here with the knowledge that playing the right way leads to goals, not the other way around.

“My confidence is growing every shift of every game,” Kuhlman said. “I give the environment and culture here a lot of credit, too. They’ve really been welcoming. It’s a great group of guys. It helps when you’re winning games as well.”

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Bruins’ Karson Kuhlman pushing hard at his game - The Boston Globe

It is too early to say whether Karson Kuhlman will be in the lineup against the Maple Leafs in the playoffs, but he has a shot.

“He’s pushing hard,” Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said Thursday after the rookie winger had another solid game in a 3-0 road win over Minnesota. “He’s certainly in the mix.”

Kuhlman, who has three goals and two assists in his first 10 NHL games, is a dogged forechecker, smart with the puck, and plays at a high pace. His defense is sound. The Bruins believe he has untapped offensive potential, but Kuhlman arrived here with the knowledge that playing the right way leads to goals, not the other way around.

“My confidence is growing every shift of every game,” Kuhlman said. “I give the environment and culture here a lot of credit, too. They’ve really been welcoming. It’s a great group of guys. It helps when you’re winning games as well.”

I read this last night - really interesting writeup. Sounds like he's a great guy to have around off the ice.

He definitely looks like a guy who can contribute some offense. His ability to handle the puck at speed and get his shot off in stride is pretty impressive, definitely a cut above your typical fourth liner. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 40 points at this level, though of course it's still early to say.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Kuhlman's story reminds me of a trend with Bruins' college free agent signings who have played on the big team this year. All of them were team captains. Kuhlman, Clifton, Krug, Miller, and Acciari. The Patriots have found success as well with drafting team captains. So often whether a player succeeds or not comes down to something other than their physical ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad