Confirmed with Link: Karlsson(1.5 retained), Hamaliuk, 2026 3rd for Granlund, Hoffman, Rutta and Pens 2024 1st(top-10 protected)

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I know it's neither here nor there, but I'm all for keeping Granlund as part of the vet group. Love the guy. He seems to really like it here and has really taken to being a leader -- I think it says a lot of a player when you come into this clusterf*** and act like he's acting.

But yeah, @Hodge -- this was a fantastic trade.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Was surprised Pittsburgh gave us a 1st when they were clearly not very good. Closer than I though they would get to making the postseason but oh well. I'm sure they would take this trade back if they could.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I know it's neither here nor there, but I'm all for keeping Granlund as part of the vet group. Love the guy. He seems to really like it here and has really taken to being a leader -- I think it says a lot of a player when you come into this clusterf*** and act like he's acting.

Me too. I would rather keep him on a reasonable extension than get a late 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
What a fantastic trade. When Grier was first hired he couldn't have paid other teams to take this bum and his awful contract off our hands. Now we end up with either the 13th or 14th overall pick in the 2024 draft plus Granlund who can either be flipped for more picks or stay on as a veteran leader for the young guys. And we only had to retain $1.5M/year to make it happen. Master class.
Agreed. Hilarious trade from beginning to now. Karlsson was never going to be that guy for the Pens.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Having Granlund on a third line with Bystedt and Edstrom in a couple of years could be pretty fun. The Finn destined to mentor a bunch of Swedish kids—first the Lund line, then the twin towers.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wow Grier hasn't done that badly for you. He may be doing a great rebuild:

- Meier trade: Shakir, Zetterland, 1st (Musty)

- Karlsson trade: ~14th overall pick in. deep top 15 draft (Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Eiserman, Helenius, Conolly, Levshunov, Saliyev, Dickison, Buium, Parekh, Yakumchuk, Jiricek) + Granlund

- Hertl trade: extra 2025 1st + Edstrom

- tanking this year for the best shot at Celebrini any team has

-2023 draft: Will Smith.

9+ good pieces to buil around.

Last edited:

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

- Karlsson trade: ~14th overall pick in. deep top 15 (Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Eiserman, Helenius, Conolly, Levshunov, Saliyev, Dickison, Buium, Parekh, Yakumchuk, Jiricek) + Granlund

- tanking this year for a shot at Celebrini

The great and rational HFSharks have been saying this for awhile.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Could you imagine if the pick wasn't top 10 protected and the pens won the lottery to move up to 3rd/4th. 2 teams 4 years apart picking top 5 because of a Karlsson trade.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

- Karlsson trade: ~14th overall pick in. deep top 15 (Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Eiserman, Helenius, Conolly, Levshunov, Saliyev, Dickison, Buium, Parekh, Yakumchuk, Jiricek) + Granlund

- tanking this year for a shot at Celebrini

I think Grier has done an absolutely fantastic job. 2 years ago, the team was in a totally
hopeless situation — now, I’m actually genuinely excited for the future.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff

- Karlsson trade: ~14th overall pick in. deep top 15 draft (Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Eiserman, Helenius, Conolly, Levshunov, Saliyev, Dickison, Buium, Parekh, Yakumchuk, Jiricek) + Granlund

- tanking this year for the best shot at Celebrini any team has

Could be a 13th still too.

GMMG has done an excellent job. As soon as he traded Burns I had a good feeling we were trending the right direction.

Last edited:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Part of me hopes the Pens win a lotto pick and defers to next year because I think they're going to be even worse next season, that was the best version of this vet core they're going to have ever again, I could see a deferred pick being top-5

If not, I'll take it, the 13thish overall pick for a boat anchor albatross is tidy work by Mike Grier

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Part of me hopes the Pens win a lotto pick and defers to next year because I think they're going to be even worse next season, that was the best version of this vet core they're going to have ever again, I could see a deferred pick being top-5

If not, I'll take it, the 13thish overall pick for a boat anchor albatross is tidy work by Mike Grier
They were *this* close to making the playoffs because with Crosby you can't count them out ever. I would LIKE them to bottom out next year if they defered but that's a gamble. Gambling is hard.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

I would absolutely take a pens lottery win because that would guarantee us Celebrini. That's the most important thing by far. Celebrini and an unprotected 1st next year that likely ends 10-20 is better than Lev/Lindstrom/Silayev/Buium/Demidov/Dickinson and Catton/Helenius/MBN/Greentree/miracle Yakemchuk or Parekh.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
I would absolutely take a pens lottery win because that would guarantee us Celebrini. That's the most important thing by far. Celebrini and an unprotected 1st next year that likely ends 10-20 is better than Lev/Lindstrom/Silayev/Buium/Demidov/Dickinson and Catton/Helenius/MBN/Greentree/miracle Yakemchuk or Parekh.

So if the 14th pick is shown and it's not the Pens, then we know that we won 1OA and can celebrate and pump fist Tiger Woods style? Is that how it works?

that_not_how_this_works.jpg

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
They were *this* close to making the playoffs because with Crosby you can't count them out ever. I would LIKE them to bottom out next year if they defered but that's a gamble. Gambling is hard.
I'm pretty comfortable betting against a 37 year old from carrying the decaying corpse of an aging roster by being a 90 point player again, but like I said, I'd be happy with 13thish overall too

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I forget who it was, but I remember someone on this board arguing we could've gotten more for Megna who had around 90 games played at age 29.
Let's be honest, most people on this board have complained about every single move Grier has made from drafting Bystedt to the Burns and Kunin trades to the Meier return to not retaining more on Karlsson to the Hertl trade.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Let's be honest, most people on this board have complained about every single move Grier has made from drafting Bystedt to the Burns and Kunin trades to the Meier return to not retaining more on Karlsson to the Hertl trade.
I agree. That said, I remember complaining at the 2022 draft we even traded back (I had Kemmell and Lekkerimaki in my top 10) and was hoping for more for Burns, but even then, he was getting old with a big cap hit.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I agree. That said, I remember complaining at the 2022 draft we even traded back (I had Kemmell and Lekkerimaki in my top 10) and was hoping for more for Burns, but even then, he was getting old with a big cap hit.
11th for 27,34,45 bysted, lund, havelid.

Players drafted right around 11th, geekie, mateychuk, Nazar.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
  • Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad