Confirmed with Link: Karlsson(1.5 retained), Hamaliuk, 2026 3rd for Granlund, Hoffman, Rutta and Pens 2024 1st(top-10 protected)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
You have to wonder if Grier is anticipating trading a lot of the forwards in the coming season, and he doesn't want to just *give* spots to the youngsters. Hence, players like Smith, Granlund, Carpenter...

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Reminds me of the picture of the toddler in a suit with the caption BUY BUY BUY on top and SELL SELL SELL on the bottom

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
CapFriendly has the Sharks at 13 forwards right now, not including Carpenter or Peterson. Givani Smith is probably a 13th F even on this roster. Not as much of a clog-up at F as just a lot of 4th line depth and AHL depth.
For weeks ive been reading these threads seeing people list "Smith" as the 13th forward and I was just assuming people were foolishly hopeful Will Smith would come to the team after his college season ended.

I 100% forgot we signed Givani Smith :laugh::laugh:

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
For weeks ive been reading these threads seeing people list "Smith" as the 13th forward and I was just assuming people were foolishly hopeful Will Smith would come to the team after his college season ended.

I 100% forgot we signed Givani Smith :laugh::laugh:
I've had to stop and think about it a few times, too. Like, what...oh right... Givani...

Reactions: Sandisfan

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I expect every pending UFA to be traded during the season

Labanc, Hoffman, Barabanov, Duclair, Lindblom, Simek, MacDonald and Kahkonen will all be off the roster after the deadline, maybe Kunin and Zadina too depending on how Grier values them

None of them are young enough to fit our timeline (maybe Zadina), some of them will return real value in trade and we will free up an obscene amount of cap space the following season

It will also allow the team to be a playground to try out young players with no stakes post trade deadline

We're still building the foundation, gotta maximize our assets while we can

If there's one thing Doug never got enough criticism for it was how often he let valuable UFAs walk for nothing instead of trading them for value, he bled a lot of assets

Nabokov
Boyle
Marleau
Pavelski
Thornton

He didn't get anything for any of those guys

Grier has proven to be more proactive in this regard, I think he'll continue to do the right thing here

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

Labanc, Hoffman, Barabanov, Duclair, Lindblom, Simek, MacDonald and Kahkonen will all be off the roster after the deadline, maybe Kunin and Zadina too depending on how Grier values them

None of them are young enough to fit our timeline (maybe Zadina), some of them will return real value in trade and we will free up an obscene amount of cap space the following season

It will also allow the team to be a playground to try out young players with no stakes post trade deadline

If there's one thing Doug never got enough criticism for it was how often he let valuable UFAs walk for nothing instead of trading them for value, he bled a lot of assets

Nabokov
Boyle
Marleau
Pavelski
Thornton

Grier has proven to be more proactive in this regard, I think he'll continue to do the right thing here
Honestly, that’s too many bodies to move at one time. I’ve been watching this game for a long time and no team has ever moved that many bodies at the trade deadline, without more bodies coming back.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California

Nabokov
Boyle
Marleau
Pavelski
Thornton

We were competing for the Cup. You don't trade guys who you think will take you to the promised land. DW traded guys like Murray and Clowe during a season, so he was not shy in trading guys who were no longer a fit.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Honestly, that’s too many bodies to move at one time. I’ve been watching this game for a long time and no team has ever moved that many bodies at the trade deadline, without more bodies coming back.
There might be a few guys coming back but we also have too many bodies in general. We could see a deal like the Nieto/Merkley trade but at the same time there’s only 2 players on that list that should be in impact positions. The rest is depth.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I'm sure we'll bring bodies back. I don't have any suggestions, but I don't think they'll matter much - other teams' expiring contracts, older prospects who haven't worked out, etc. Hopefully we get one medium-term piece out of them, but mostly it'll be middle or lower round picks.

Reactions: Gecklund

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
There will be bodies coming back that the buying team doesn't want for their playoff run, and as they are the negative asset there would be a draft pick attached

If Mike is especially clever he can trade a 1 year deal for a 2 year deal with a pick attached so he can do it again with the same player next year

We're in the business of laundering assets, the names of the players really don't matter, just turning active players into futures is the whole point of this current process

We were competing for the Cup. You don't trade guys who you think will take you to the promised land. DW traded guys like Murray and Clowe during a season, so he was not shy in trading guys who were no longer a fit.
I get holding onto your guys when you're trying to win, but the point is he was never proactive about massaging assets out of these valuable players at any point in our run which contributed to our inability to restock the prospect pool and extend our window

Doug would flip middle of the lineup guys like Clowe and Murray but he never once moved a core piece in an attempt to massage extra value out of his roster

He did make moves in the interest of win-now upgrades (turning Cheechoo into Heatley and turning Seto into Burns), but he never made the proactive move to turn an expiring deal into a distressed and undervalued asset with a mind toward the future like FLA did turning Huberdeau into Tkachuk as an example, or even selling off a player he didn't plan to extend for assets to reinvest later like he probably should have done with Dan Boyle

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021

The problem is most of those guys have no trade value, so you won't get anything for them. Duclair and Barabanov should be moveable at the deadline for a worthwhile return, like a 2nd round pick each, better if they show more this season. Labanc, Hoffman, Kunin, and Zadina all need to show that they can score as they have shown only in flashes in the past in order to have enough value to trade for something useful in a rebuild.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Hodge

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The problem is most of those guys have no trade value, so you won't get anything for them. Duclair and Barabanov should be moveable at the deadline for a worthwhile return, like a 2nd round pick each, better if they show more this season. Labanc, Hoffman, Kunin, and Zadina all need to show that they can score as they have shown only in flashes in the past in order to have enough value to trade for something useful in a rebuild.
Even getting a 5th round pick is better than nothing when they walk in UFA, those late round picks have value when it comes to packaging picks together to move up in the draft or when trying to sweeten a deal and serve as a conduit for 3 team trades

The point is to stack the deck with assets, no matter their value, as long as it is positive value

If we turn Hoffman into a 5th rounder at the deadline then we got something usefull out of him rather than him scoring 16 goals for us and leaving in free agency for nothing

Reactions: Gecklund

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Even getting a 5th round pick is better than nothing when they walk in UFA, those late round picks have value when it comes to packaging picks together to move up in the draft or when trying to sweeten a deal and serve as a conduit for 3 team trades

The point is to stack the deck with assets, no matter their value, as long as it is positive value

If we turn Hoffman into a 5th rounder at the deadline then we got something usefull out of him rather than him scoring 16 goals for us and leaving in free agency for nothing
This isn't the NHL video game where you can just click the "find trade" button for every player. It's unlikely there will be a market for the majority of our pending UFAs regardless of the return. Labanc and Hoffman in particular seem pretty much untradeable with their cap hits. Lindblom, Simek, MacDonald and Kahkonen are straight up worthless.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
This isn't the NHL video game where you can just click the "find trade" button for every player. It's unlikely there will be a market for the majority of our pending UFAs regardless of the return. Labanc and Hoffman in particular seem pretty much untradeable with their cap hits. Lindblom, Simek, MacDonald and Kahkonen are straight up worthless.
Every team trades for worthless plugs for depth at the trade deadline, the year we went to the finals we added Roman Polak and Nick Spaling, someone will want Radim Simek for depth

Labanc is already rumored to be out the door for Myers and Hoffman is the classic "I can fix him" add GMs make when they see a name brand goal scorer on the market while forgetting they haven't actually been a real threat in 5 years

All these pieces have value, low value, but value yet still

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021

According to Montreal fans posting on other threads, Montreal could not give Hoffman away for free at the last TDL. The only useful thing he does on ice is shoot, so he will not be picked up as a depth addition if he doesn't score. If he can score at a 25-30 goals a season pace, then he might have some trade value. He hasn't done that in the last two seasons.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
According to Montreal fans posting on other threads, Montreal could not give Hoffman away for free at the last TDL. The only useful thing he does on ice is shoot, so he will not be picked up as a depth addition if he doesn't score. If he can score at a 25-30 goals a season pace, then he might have some trade value. He hasn't done that in the last two seasons.
He also had an extra year under contract last TDL so an aquiring team had to factor him into the following year's salary cap, now he's expiring so he's much lower risk, if he doesn't work out you let him walk in the summer and clear the cap space

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Every team trades for worthless plugs for depth at the trade deadline, the year we went to the finals we added Roman Polak and Nick Spaling, someone will want Radim Simek for depth

Labanc is already rumored to be out the door for Myers and Hoffman is the classic "I can fix him" add GMs make when they see a name brand goal scorer on the market while forgetting they haven't actually been a real threat in 5 years

All these pieces have value, low value, but value yet still
The worst players who were traded for draft picks this past deadline were probably Bonino and MacEwen and they both provide elements that playoff teams typically value (faceoffs and PK with Bonino, physicality with MacEwen) while our guys don't. Even Barabanov is the kind of player there may not be a big market for given concerns about his style of play translating to the playoffs.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I just want to get out ahead of this before Grier gets criticized for not maximizing value or whatever. I seriously doubt we're going to come out of the deadline with some huge pick haul, at least from our pending UFAs. Maybe a couple of 2nd/3rds at best.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The worst players who were traded for draft picks this past deadline were probably Bonino and MacEwen and they both provide elements that playoff teams typically value (faceoffs and PK with Bonino, physicality with MacEwen) while our guys don't. Even Barabanov is the kind of player there may not be a big market for given concerns about his style of play translating to the playoffs.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I just want to get out ahead of this before Grier gets criticized for not maximizing value or whatever. I seriously doubt we're going to come out of the deadline with some huge pick haul, at least from our pending UFAs. Maybe a couple of 2nd/3rds at best.
Radim Simek literally provides both physicality and penalty killing, sounds like a typical deadline depth D that gets shipped around every year

Nick Bonino from your examples was traded last year by Mike Grier, he clearly understands the point of extracting value out of pending UFAs at the deadline

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Radim Simek literally provides both physicality and penalty killing, sounds like a typical deadline depth D that gets shipped around every year

Nick Bonino from your examples was traded last year by Mike Grier, he clearly understands the point of extracting value out of pending UFAs at the deadline
Bonino also has two Cups and was a passable 3C the season before he was traded. Simek hasn't been good in 5 years and will probably be a healthy scratch more often than not this season, if he can even stay healthy.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Bonino also has two Cups and was a passable 3C the season before he was traded. Simek hasn't been good in 5 years and will probably be a healthy scratch more often than not this season, if he can even stay healthy.
Physical bottom pair D always return inflated value at the deadline

Simek's one question mark is health, if he's unavailable he won't get moved, but outside of height he's the exact archetype that GMs fetishize over, he's a natural add at the TDL in the mind of the old-timey hockey guys that run these teams

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
I get holding onto your guys when you're trying to win, but the point is he was never proactive about massaging assets out of these valuable players at any point in our run which contributed to our inability to restock the prospect pool and extend our window

Doug would flip middle of the lineup guys like Clowe and Murray but he never once moved a core piece in an attempt to massage extra value out of his roster

He did make moves in the interest of win-now upgrades (turning Cheechoo into Heatley and turning Seto into Burns), but he never made the proactive move to turn an expiring deal into a distressed and undervalued asset with a mind toward the future like FLA did turning Huberdeau into Tkachuk as an example, or even selling off a player he didn't plan to extend for assets to reinvest later like he probably should have done with Dan Boyle
DW was looking to hang onto Boyle and Marleau, but both received offers from New York and Toronto which gave them an extra year. DW was right in letting them walk in those circumstances because Boyle completely fell off during that last year with the Rangers and Marleau had to be bought out by the Leafs which ended up costing them a 1st. DW also tried to trade Thornton the last year he was here, but only Dallas had any interest and ultimately they did not find it worthwhile to trade for him.

If you want to criticize the inability to restock the prospect pool on the fly, criticize to poor targeting of rentals at the TDL. Half the time he acquired somebody who was useless or someone, or their equivalent, who should have been signed during the summer. On that latter point, that had to do with DW's constant inability to target the correct bottom-6ers/bottom-pair during UFA. That said, there is no avoiding a rebuild, but a better stocked prospect pool could have reduced a 5-year rebuild to a 2-year rebuild, but then again, a lottery win the right year can do the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad