Proposal: Karl Alzner (4,625M until 2022) for Ryan Kesler (6,875M until 2022)

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
MTL needs a 4th line center and Kesler would be a good player for the playoffs (good on FO and have experience). I know he's not the player he used to be. No problem for Habs to take more than 2M on the cap right now.

ANA could used to trade Kesler with their rebuilt and Alzner could have a place as a 5th or 6th d-man in Anaheim.

Both could be bought out this summer too.

Here's the buy-outs:

Ryan Kesler Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Karl Alzner Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
At this stage, isn't Kesler about to go into LTIRetirement?

I like the idea behind the trade, Montreal gets a character player to add to their locker room and can afford to play him for the little bit be has before he is done playing but I feel both teams would have far more benefit keeping their players.

Also, Kesler has a NMC?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Alzner will bring dead cap space next year anyway.
Surely it is better to just deal with $3.5m in dead cap space for the next 3 years with Alzner rather than 6 years of $2.225m+ from buying out Kesler.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Alzner's contract is a piece of trash, and you'd still be able to sell it as gold next to Kesler's.

Nobody is taking on Kesler. Absolutely nobody.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't think Habs will keep Alzner for much longer. I expect them to buy him out this summer.
So don't take a worse contract in return...

I don't know enough about Montreal's plans, but the only benefit to the team from buying him out this summer is if they really need the cap space next season. I'm not sure they do. Buying him out in the summer also means his cap hit in 2020/21 is higher than it would be if they just buried him in the minors. It's probably better for the team to just keep him in the AHL and avoid the longer cap penalty.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I don't think Habs will keep Alzner for much longer. I expect them to buy him out this summer.

I don't think you understand, Alzner will leave us with less dead cap space than Kesler...if you expect to buy out both soon, why wouldn't you rather buy out the one with the lesser cap hit?

Just to get one playoff run with Kesler as a #4C? makes no sense when you can find cheaper options out there that will do less long term damage.

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I don't think you understand, Alzner will leave us with less dead cap space than Kesler...if you expect to buy out both soon, why wouldn't you rather buy out the one with the lesser cap hit?

Just to get one playoff run with Kesler as a #4C? makes no sense when you can find cheaper options out there that will do less long term damage.

No problem. I understand it. I'm trying to find a 'fair' trade for 2 of the worst contracts in the league.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
MTL needs a 4th line center and Kesler would be a good player for the playoffs (good on FO and have experience). I know he's not the player he used to be. No problem for Habs to take more than 2M on the cap right now.

ANA could used to trade Kesler with their rebuilt and Alzner could have a place as a 5th or 6th d-man in Anaheim.

Both could be bought out this summer too.

Here's the buy-outs:

Ryan Kesler Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Karl Alzner Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Good lord no.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
even if it made sense, I doubt he waives for montreal… doesn't kesler hate Canada in general.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I lol'd when I read the title. That would be just stupid for Montreal & this is coming from a neutral fan.

member 290103

Lol. RK17 in Montreal? Um, no. The guy woukd have a hate on to/from the media there in five minute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad