Salary Cap: Kapanen's next contract

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I'd easily do 3 x 3. I might even do 4 x 4. My fear is his value soars to 5 + million and we can't keep him longer then 1-2 years.
With the way the cap is expected to increase going forward with the Seattle expansion, I don’t think that will be a problem. That’s the beauty of getting the big 3 signed long term. Every year they’ll be a smaller and smaller percentage of the total cap. If Willy signs for 8 years, by the 8th year of his contract the cap might be 30M higher than it is today.

Last edited:

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
What I like about Kappy is his compete level. Sometimes he is the only guy out there flying around and into dirty areas.
Unlike a certain Swede, Kappy also seems to elevate his game when the pressure is on.
Not saying he is better than the Swede ... but just looks damn sexy from my point of view.

Reactions: NovaLeaf and Al14

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I can't make sense of him. His hockey-sense usually looks peewee level and his passing and shooting and general puck skills look so rudimentary I figure he's just another random fast guy who wouldn't be in the NHL if he couldn't skate like that. But then he'll turn around and make a great high-iq play or bury a howitzer shot over the goalies shoulder like a few games ago.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Maybe a bit early to be calling out the big numbers. There were 21 players who had 80pts or more last season, over three times the average since the lockout but there are about 50 on a pace for it right now. There will be a lot of players cooling off. I think if they offered Kappy $4M x whatever he would jump at it and they should be able to lock him up long term in the $3-3.5M if they wanted to do it now. Its instant security for a guy that had none a few weeks ago, but is a greater risk for the club than the player. However if they wait to see if he can manage a 60pt season and he does then the deal is up over Arvidsson money. It doesn't look like a streak to me but I am not convinced this little sample means he is 50+pts every year either. Will they wait again?

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
This guy is a gamer. I would not even entertain the idea of trading him for the next 2+ seasons.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
If he puts up around 50 points...

2 x $3 million
3 x $3.3
4 x $4
6 x $4.5

Take your pick kappy. Call dubas when you decide and we'll sign on the dotted line. You can have a guaranteed 25 million if you like after one good season.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I love the guy. Hope he takes a long term deal.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Don’t see a big pay day for him like radio shows in Toronto pump up. You don’t get paid for having 1 good year. 1-2 year deal looking at 2.5 to 3.5. If they like him a lot and want to buy UFA years on a long term deal maybe 4.5 max.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Really depends on whether Nylander is signed or traded.

With Nylander signed Kappy gets a low dollar bridge and is ultimately traded once he is priced out of here

With Nylander traded Kappy will get a mid value (think 4-5 mill) over semi long term (5 years)

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Moving forward Kapanen will be a 6 million dollar player, just the reality. The kid is a 1st round pick and he has talent, we can all see it. He might be bridged around 2-3 million range for his next contract but lets make no mistake he will be demanding money (that he will deserve) after that.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
He will slow down, but in the middle of his contracts, I can see him having a few 25-30 goal seasons.
He'll probably slow down a bit, but what if he gets put back on Matthews wing when he comes back and/or starts getting PP time?

Too early to say right now, but I'd expect a 2/3 year bridge.

member 300185

Many here are saying bridge for 2 to 3 million.

Are you people for real?

Its why these boards are so hilarious. Kapanen is going to score 60 points plus this year....just like Nylander did last year. How many of you think Nylander will sign a bridge for 2 to 3 million? What a joke.

Kapanen is going to get paid. Thats why Dubas can trade Nylander, because it looks like Kapanen is a better version of Nylander. He is faster, way more aggressive and has a beauty of a defensive game. He is the perfect player for this team and on Matthews line. He is also super clutch.

Read my lips.....KAPANEN IS BETTER THAN NYLANDER!

This place can be ridiculous sometimes.

Consider Nylander gone. That is all.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Many here are saying bridge for 2 to 3 million.

Are you people for real?

Its why these boards are so hilarious. Kapanen is going to score 60 points plus this year....just like Nylander did last year. How many of you think Nylander will sign a bridge for 2 to 3 million? What a joke.

Kapanen is going to get paid. Thats why Dubas can trade Nylander, because it looks like Kapanen is a better version of Nylander. He is faster, way more aggressive and has a beauty of a defensive game. He is the perfect player for this team and on Matthews line. He is also super clutch.

Read my lips.....KAPANEN IS BETTER THAN NYLANDER!

This place can be ridiculous sometimes.

Consider Nylander gone. That is all.

What’s ridiculous is saying Kapanen is better than Nylander when all tangible evidence points to the opposite being true.

Factor in we know for a fact he’s on an extreme hot streak right now hat won’t last, the prudent decision points to a bridge.

member 300185

What’s ridiculous is saying Kapanen is better than Nylander when all tangible evidence points to the opposite being true.

Factor in we know for a fact he’s on an extreme hot streak right now hat won’t last, the prudent decision points to a bridge.
What tangible evidence? Answer this, who is faster? Who is more aggressive? Kapanen on pace for more than what Nylander put up last year. MORE points and no PP time. Nylander played all of last year on the PP. That is tangible.

Just because people think Nylander is better because they are used to him doesn't make it so.

And you dont know that he is on a hot streak and won't last. Perhaps its not a hot streak and just who he is.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What tangible evidence? Answer this, who is faster? Who is more aggressive? Kapanen on pace for more than what Nylander put up last year. MORE points and no PP time. Nylander played all of last year on the PP. That is tangible.

Just because people think Nylander is better because they are used to him doesn't make it so.

That Nylander that’s been the better player ever year from their pre-draft season to present. I mean this isn’t even arguable.

The fact that Kapanen has had a hot start this year is nice, but that doesn’t imply he’s surpassed Nylander (who hasn't even had the opportunity to match yet). Nylander has gone on PPG stretches of play at the NHL level for longer than 12 games. Small sample sizes don’t mean much in the grand sceheme of things.

member 300185

That Nylander that’s been the better player ever year from their pre-draft season to present. I mean this isn’t even arguable.

The fact that Kapanen has had a hot start this year is nice, but that doesn’t imply he’s surpassed Nylander (who hasn't even had the opportunity to match yet). Nylander has gone on PPG stretches of play at the NHL level for longer than 12 games. Small sample sizes don’t mean much in the grand sceheme of things.
Seriously? Do you know that little about hockey? I can name over 100 players that reached their potential into their early 20's and became superstars and better than the people they were compared to in their career.

We know you love Nylander, I get it.

So you have 2 choices right now. Who do you take? Nylander, who is a greedy little puke that has to do everything his father says and is butter soft in corners or Kapanen, who produces at the same level, is much faster and much more aggressive and is clutch.
One guy wilts in big games when the checking gets heavy and the other is the guy who does the aggressive heavy work.

Pick one.

member 300185

I get a kick out of some people. Last year, the Leafs as a team had a great start and people all over the boards, not just here, said it was a small sample size and the Leafs wouldn't be able to hold the pace and it was just a hot start. Then the Leafs broke the all time points by a Leafs team. Small sample sizes are just that, and sometimes a player or a team is good enough to continue with their pace.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Seriously? Do you know that little about hockey? I can name over 100 players that reached their potential into their early 20's and became superstars and better than the people they were compared to in their career.

We know you love Nylander, I get it.

So you have 2 choices right now. Who do you take? Nylander, who is a greedy little puke that has to do everything his father says and is butter soft in corners or Kapanen, who produces at the same level, is much faster and much more aggressive and is clutch.
One guy wilts in big games when the checking gets heavy and the other is the guy who does the aggressive heavy work.

Pick one.

I’m sorry, but this is just a bunch of nonsense.

Obviously players tend to reach their potential on their mid 20s. Nylander certainly hasn’t peaked before the age of 22 (you seem to be conveniently ignoring his growth potential). The point is he's tracking to be a far superior player (by being better than Kapanen by a far margin every season prior to this one).

You’re simply putting far too much weight into 12 or so games this season, and essentially pretending it suddenly erases everything that’s come before it. It just doesn’t work that way. There’s absolutely nothing that suggests Kapanen is more “clutch” than Nylander.

member 300185

I’m sorry, but this is just a bunch of nonsense.

Obviously players tend to reach their potential on their mid 20s. Nylander certainly hasn’t peaked before the age of 22 (you seem to be conveniently ignoring his growth potential). The point is he's tracking to be a far superior player (by being better than Kapanen by a far margin every season prior to this one).

You’re simply putting far too much weight into 12 or so games this season, and essentially pretending it suddenly erases everything that’s come before it. It just doesn’t work that way. There’s absolutely nothing that suggests Kapanen is more “clutch” than Nylander.
So here is the evidence for all to see. You think players reach their potential in their mid 20's when in fact most players reach their potential when they are 22.

And its weird you and I being on opposite points in an argument.

And there is lots of evidence that Kappy is more clutch. Just ask Finland.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So here is the evidence for all to see. You think players reach their potential in their mid 20's when in fact most players reach their potential when they are 22.

That's a fact?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

So Nylander is done developing but Kapanen is still developing even though they are the same age?

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad