Salary Cap: Kapanen's next contract

member 300185

So Nylander is done developing but Kapanen is still developing even though they are the same age?
Not what I am saying. I am saying Kapanen has better skills like skating and aggression. If both players developed evenly, you take the faster, more aggressive guy hands down.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Not what I am saying. I am saying Kapanen has better skills like skating and aggression. If both players developed evenly, you take the faster, more aggressive guy hands down.

Nylander is borderline NHL star level with upside, Kappy is a nice player.

Reactions: TimeZone

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Agree that Nylander is the higher end talent and pedigree but Kappy is still quality in his own right.

I have been calling him as a better version of Grabner for a while now.
Yea, i have liked Kappy since we got him and seen him play many marlie games, he is a beauty

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So here is the evidence for all to see. You think players reach their potential in their mid 20's when in fact most players reach their potential when they are 22.

And its weird you and I being on opposite points in an argument.

And there is lots of evidence that Kappy is more clutch. Just ask Finland.

Forwards tend to have their peak career season 22-26ish in age. Yes guys tend to enter their primes around 22.

None of that challenges the fact that Nylander is considerably the better player throughout his career so far, and looks to be the better player for the rest of their careers.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Kappys contract will depend on what happens with nylander imo. If nylander is traded then kappanen is a top 6 winger. If nylander signs kappanen is a bottom 6 player.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He definitely has raised his value enormously - he is no longer a $3 - 3.5 M, more like $4.5 M

Once and when / if Nylander is signed the coaching staff might move him to 3rd line but that does not mean he is a 3rd line winger. Nylander's contract would not affect his contract, it's going to be on merit (Hyman playing on 1st or 2nd line does not make him a top 3 or top 6 winger)

Last edited:
Reactions: NovaLeaf

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Nylander's absence has been a huge opportunity for Kapanen, and he has risen to the occasion.

Pretty quantum, considering they are supposed to be best friends.

Sure would be nice to see both of them playing together. But that is far from certain.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
When we let JVR walk to sign Tavares, many fans of other teams were quick to point out that losing JVRs production would be difficult to replace. I (and the overwhelming majority of lead fans) thought Johnsson would replace a decent portion of that production while offering a much better two way game. Instead, it was Kapanen who stepped up, and has met JVRs production while being a much more well rounded player.

We really do have something special here, everything seems to be coming together. When Nylander signs (or is traded for a RD) and Matthews returns, watch out.

Also - assuming we dont LTIR horton, we have something like 5m in cap space. The crazy thing is, I look at the expiring UFAs coming up, and I don't see many guys who can drastically improve our team.

Reactions: Critical91

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Kapanen's production is incredibly impressive given his lack of PP usage.

I feel like he's becoming a big part of our identity. When opposing teams talk about our speed and agility, I think of Marner and Kappy first. I'm not going to say he's a core player yet, but he's trending that way.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Was hoping for a Jarnkrok deal before his breakout. If he keeps this up that ship has long sailed away...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Tied for the team lead in even strength points.
Tied for the team lead in plus-minus.
Tied for the team lead in even strength goals.

Only 6th. for time on ice amongst forwards.
Only 11th. for powerplay time on ice amongst forwards.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kapanen is trending to the point where his next contract will be too costly for the Leafs unless Nylander is traded.

His breakout year timing wise is great for team competitiveness this year, but bad for contract business next year.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Kapanen is trending to the point where his next contract will be too costly for the Leafs unless Nylander is traded.

His breakout year timing wise is great for team competitiveness this year, but bad for contract business next year.
What are the comparables for Kap?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Tied for the team lead in even strength points.
Tied for the team lead in plus-minus.
Tied for the team lead in even strength goals.

Only 6th. for time on ice amongst forwards.
Only 11th. for powerplay time on ice amongst forwards.

:'(

I feel like our PP units could both use a little shakeup with Matthews and Nylander out. Imagine what we can look forward too in the future...

Tavares - Matthews - Marner - Kadri - Rielly
Kapanen - Nylander - Marleau - Hyman - Gardiner

Not sold on Hyman there, but the 2nd unit seems to cycle more and he can help with that.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Sign him now 3 x 3. Kappy's agent might want to wait until the end of the year for more but the pitch to him should be that with Matthews' and Marner's signings coming up signing Kappy won't be a priority.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kapanen is looking to be a very nice player for us, but I'll reserve judgement on his next contract until I see him for substantially more than a hot 14 game take.

Yup. I know everyone's tired of talking about Nylander but it's way too early to be thinking too much about this. Just like it's too early to be pencilling in Marner for 90-100 points and 9-10M and too early to be pencilling in Matthews for 10M-12M-14M etc. I'm just gonna wait and see how the team plays tomorrow night and when that's done, I'm gonna start thinking about the next game, that's enough for me.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What are the comparables for Kap?

If he hits 60 points this year then perhaps the Ehlers contract. Everyone's favourite comparable for that style of player and output range (20+ goals +35 assists)

Kappy is taking full advantage of his opportunity from the Nylander situation to pile up the points in his absence in a contract year.

But lots of this is all linked directly to what happens with Nylander, as if Willy returns to the team and plays with Matthews that means Kappy will be a 3rd line RW at best and 40-45 points.

Last edited:

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
He definitely has raised his value enormously - he is no longer a $3 - 3.5 M, more like $4.5 M

Once and when / if Nylander is signed the coaching staff might move him to 3rd line but that does not mean he is a 3rd line winger. Nylander's contract would not affect his contract, it's going to be on merit (Hyman playing on 1st or 2nd line does not make him a top 3 or top 6 winger)

He has only played 14 games and was far from proven. Way too early to judge, and just ask Nylander how much leverage Kap will have in his negotiation.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I love watching Kappy but sadly assuming they sign all of Nylander, Matty and Marner there is no room for him inside the CAP unless they bridge him for like 3M per. I hope they do. But in the land of Bettman the CAP world there is no way to build a great team.

Sad thing for us Leaf fans is this is going to happen now every year starting next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad