Tribute Kapanen Appreciation Thread

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
I'll always remember him for this goal against Boston. If we had hung on to win that series that would be an all-time Leafs goal they'd show in highlight reels along with Gilmour on Cujo, Borschevsky on Cheveldae and Sundin on Lalime. Slayed Marchand and Rask on the same play...

Another spoiled memory. This was HYPE. Sigh.

Reactions: saffronleaf

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Liked Kappy but change was inevitable after another a playoff failure. Wish him the best

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
He seemed really pissed off and fighty this year. Should be a decent top 6 player for Pittsburgh if he keeps that aggression.
I love the trade but I think highly enough of Kapanen to know this wasn’t a fleece. You have two of the top all time centres on your team as their career is winding down, how can you not take a chance on Kap.
His game matured physically this year (not sure about offensively tho)

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I liked Kapanen. Great straight away skater. Might possibly be the worst passer I have ever seen... ever.
The ultimate value of this trade will revolve around what the 15th pick turns into and what we do with the cap space.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
He still has upside, of this I am certain. He played well when Nylander was out, and this team could have been built differently at that point.

Regardless, he signed a reasonable contract and showed some bite once in awhile and was a speed demon. He just seemed to lack that killer finish and desire to be a bigger game player than he can be (in my estimation).

Good luck. He will do well with that leadership group in Pitsburgh. This Leafs team needs some changes, that's for certain. He should be one of a few.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I said on the main board that I felt Kap was a lot like a rich man's Bryan Rust. Rust had a breakout season this year.

upload_2020-8-25_19-8-2.png

upload_2020-8-25_19-8-24.png

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Say what you will about him as a player, and the return for him (it's phenomenal), but this was a guy that always left it all out there for us and was absolute money at times. Hope he goes on to have a great career with the team that drafted him. Glad we had him!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At least he played with some heart and grit...can't say the same for a lot of Leafs. The funny thing is, I don't think he came in as that type of player, but he developed that compete level in an uncomfortable environment i.e his peers mostly play a soft non-physical game as well. And he really embraced the city and team, gonna miss him a lot

I'm going to have to half disagree. Kapanen never consistently brought any one reliable brand of hockey, he'd just as soon play that Smash Bros game like when Clifford came in as his invisible fly by stick check, 100 mph but do nothing game.

Reactions: kb

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I like Kappy. I understand the need to trade and would have preferred Johnson though I get his value is limited. Fair trade. Let's hope Dubas doesnt draft an undersized forward with the pick.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
How much money Marner makes in 5 seconds? And how much this hurts the Marner haters in the long term?
That's the real question of this thread.
Bots.

Thanks for some good memories Kap, your blazing speed was unreal to watch at times.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
I'll always remember him for this goal against Boston. If we had hung on to win that series that would be an all-time Leafs goal they'd show in highlight reels along with Gilmour on Cujo, Borschevsky on Cheveldae and Sundin on Lalime. Slayed Marchand and Rask on the same play...

Good memory, that goal. I'll miss the guy - in another world he'd be a career Leaf moving between the 2nd and 3rd lines but ultimately he became a victim of the cap crunch (with a great return!). At 24 you'd hope he has a bit more to give, unfortunately missing the toolbox.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad