Tribute Kapanen Appreciation Thread

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'll always remember him for this goal against Boston. If we had hung on to win that series that would be an all-time Leafs goal they'd show in highlight reels along with Gilmour on Cujo, Borschevsky on Cheveldae and Sundin on Lalime. Slayed Marchand and Rask on the same play...

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
At least he played with some heart and grit...can't say the same for a lot of Leafs. The funny thing is, I don't think he came in as that type of player, but he developed that compete level in an uncomfortable environment i.e his peers mostly play a soft non-physical game as well. And he really embraced the city and team, gonna miss him a lot

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Guarenteed 3 breakaways a game, will only score when its do or die. He was CLUTCH in his early Leaf days.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I liked his competitive games, and hated his lazy ones. If he was more consistent he'd be a must-have player

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
Kapanen was fast as hell but with hands of stone. When he showed flashes he looked like a top 6 guy but too inconsistent for me. Good luck in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: TMLS

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Gonna miss him. Played with a lot of intensity and a lot of times his tools made him look like he could break out into an nylander type player but his brain held him back. Wish him continued succsess kn the future
I thought he was a good player but in another form the bashing him all over the place once again we trade something and get nothing tangible because of his other mistakes now he’s going to compound the mistakes Dude this is a terrible GM

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
He was a great player and was beginning to develop into a speedy possession beast and all around pest. With a little more finish he would have been a first rounder but he just couldn’t seem to mesh everything together. I’ll still miss him, I’ll never forget his OT goal against the capitals in the playoffs and how much excited I was(of course my hopes were crushed later but whatever)

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Love the kid, but you could tell his offensive game was limited, tunnel vision in the O zone.
Still a nice player, but probably time to move on.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
The guy is going to do great in Pittsburgh. Love his tenacity and the fact he really developed into a good penalty killer given he was a mess defensively when he first arrived to the marlies. He'll probably pocket 50-60pts on the top 6 in Pittsburgh.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Acquiring Kapanen was one of the earlier trades from Dubas here. Have to believe Pittsburgh is a better team today with this add and Kapanen's "return" to the team. The new season doesn't start just yet though, and the Leafs should hopefully be right there as well when all is said and done. Will miss his speed, particularly on the PK.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'll always remember him for this goal against Boston. If we had hung on to win that series that would be an all-time Leafs goal they'd show in highlight reels along with Gilmour on Cujo, Borschevsky on Cheveldae and Sundin on Lalime. Slayed Marchand and Rask on the same play...

Throw it on the mountain of ruined memories this team churns out.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Will miss you Kappy. Really knew nothing about him when he first came over except that he was Sami's fast skating son. Boy did he win me over. His PK work was excellent, his skating was sublime. His IQ wasn't the best but he is still a solid player on a good deal and that's why Dubas got what he did. Can't forget his ability at scoring CLUTCH goals.

Kapanen. Enjoy it back in Pittsburgh. You'll definitely get to play at times with Sid & Geno. Maybe they'll make it easier for him? Who knows.

Anyway. Best of luck Kap.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad