Kaner's 1100th point watch thread

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
it doesnt really matter as Kane is clearly the much more superior player, the NHL in Mikita's time was slow and boring. AHL players of now would dominate the NHL of then.

How much of that era have you seen? Equal gear and what not I don’t think there would be the domination that you think there would be.

Reactions: pvr

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
How much of that era have you seen? Equal gear and what not I don’t think there would be the domination that you think there would be.

I have watched a lot actually, YouTube is filled with videos. If the Hawks from 2010 played the Hawks from 1971 they would demolish them like 10-0 or more.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I have watched a lot actually, YouTube is filled with videos. If the Hawks from 2010 played the Hawks from 1971 they would demolish them like 10-0 or more.

Equal gear it would be closer than you think. Not equal gear the sure 10-0. They still played with a lot of pace. Gear has a huge impact on the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The average talent level in the past was nowhere near what it is now. Up until the last 20 years or so, the bottom half of the roster in the NHL was goons and plugs. Guys that could barely skate, and were mostly terrible hockey players. It was even worse the further back you go. That, and the evolution of goaltending, are the biggest reasons scoring is down.

Systems haven't changed much over the years. The Soviets were prett much playing modern day systems back in the 60s and 70s.... The difference is, every guy on the ice knows, and is capable of executing, those systems.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
The average talent level in the past was nowhere near what it is now. Up until the last 20 years or so, the bottom half of the roster in the NHL was goons and plugs. Guys that could barely skate, and were mostly terrible hockey players. It was even worse the further back you go. That, and the evolution of goaltending, are the biggest reasons scoring is down.

Systems haven't changed much over the years. The Soviets were prett much playing modern day systems back in the 60s and 70s.... The difference is, every guy on the ice knows, and is capable of executing, those systems.

I know you play around Chicago quite a bit but those bottom O6 guys would handle you, with ease. Slow your roll a bit

Reactions: pvr

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Talent is up for sure along team builds but I think gear and goalie size have impacted the crazy amounts.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
It wouldn't shock me to see it happen, but at the same time, clearly the odds are against it.

I truly think Kane has the talent and longevity (so far) to surpass Mikita, it's too early to be confident about it

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know you play around Chicago quite a bit but those bottom O6 guys would handle you, with ease. Slow your roll a bit

Not sure what that has to do with what I said. Skating is the great equalizer. The gap in skating between top half and bottom half guys in the NHL is almost non-existant nowadays. Which means with good systems and hard work, mostly average players can compete with the top players... Look no further than Vegas. That's what I'm referring to.

You would never put your 3rd and 4th liners out against the other teams top line in the 80s and 90s. They would skate circles around them. This is commonplace now.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Said it for awhile... Kane will retire as the greatest blackhawk and American to play the game

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Not sure what that has to do with what I said. Skating is the great equalizer. The gap in skating between top half and bottom half guys in the NHL is almost non-existant nowadays. Which means with good systems and hard work, mostly average players can compete with the top players... Look no further than Vegas. That's what I'm referring to.

You would never put your 3rd and 4th liners out against the other teams top line in the 80s and 90s. They would skate circles around them. This is commonplace now.

This is what I was referencing in your post.

It's easy to forget how good those guys actually were.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

It's easy to forget how good those guys actually were

Records are meant to be reach by players in other era and to be broken ....... regardless of who will be breaking it.

those record does not diminish achievement.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

It's easy to forget how good those guys actually were.

While I don't disagree that even many bottom 6 guys back in the 70's and 80's would probably still be better than the majority of people who have played the game, the skating was just abysmal by lots and lots of players out there. Watching old games on Youtube and when they play them on NHL Network and such... there is a massive gap between now, and then, when it comes to the bottom 6(and players in general). Most bottom 6 players now would give many top 6 guys, of then, a serious run for their money, IMO. The skating is just so much better by every player on the ice.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
upload_2019-1-15_9-33-9.jpeg

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Skating improvement has a lot to do with the skate players wear now. There is not a chance that players today could do what they do in the leather skates of the past.

I’d love to see an NHL network segment where a few recently retired players take the ice with both the new skates and the old, run through some drills and do a scrimmage.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Skating improvement has a lot to do with the skate players wear now. There is not a chance that players today could do what they do in the leather skates of the past.

Well yeah. Equipment plays a huge role. I don't deny that. But you didn't have to be nearly as good a skater then as you do now to make the NHL. There were a ton of goons and plugs on every team.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I’d love to see an NHL network segment where a few recently retired players take the ice with both the new skates and the old, run through some drills and do a scrimmage.

You lose a lot of explosiveness and ability to hold edges with old gear. I am not talking about comparing the new CCM skates to Bauer 5000s, just to be clear. Also not talking directly to you, just piggy backing off your comment.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I suspect Kane will average 80 points per season for the next 5 years. That puts him at 1292 (if you add 20 more this year puts him at 1312). That leaves him about 150 short in the twilight of his career. He'll break the record if he wants to stick around. Whats sad is we have to discuss will he catch Mikita for all tiem playoff points at 150? Currently at 123.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I suspect Kane will average 80 points per season for the next 5 years. That puts him at 1292 (if you add 20 more this year puts him at 1312). That leaves him about 150 short in the twilight of his career. He'll break the record if he wants to stick around. Whats sad is we have to discuss will he catch Mikita for all tiem playoff points at 150? Currently at 123.

The Hawks are making the playoffs multiple times in the next handful of years, IMO. So yes, I think he'll catch the all-time playoff points. Hell, if they can go the length and win a Cup, he likely catches it in one playoffs.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The Hawks are making the playoffs multiple times in the next handful of years, IMO. So yes, I think he'll catch the all-time playoff points. Hell, if they can go the length and win a Cup, he likely catches it in one playoffs.

I like your optimism. All they need is to replace their entire top 4 defensemen, Find a #1 center, and totally remake their bottom 6. All this while being stuck with Keith and Seabrook for another 4 and 5 years respectively.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The Hawks are damn near the worst team in the NHL, so no.

Their record/points standings indicate that, yes. I also think a large chunk of that falls on goaltending. Ward has been the tank commander way above and beyond anyone else. If Delia is in net last night, the Hawks likely win that game, IMO. And numerous others. Including the Winter Classic. This team is not the worst in the NHL, more like middle of the pack, as far as talent goes, right now. With a lot more incoming.

They don't need to replace their entire top 4... Murphy, Gus, Keith, Dahlstrom, and Joker are playing better. Murphy has been very good. Gus has been a great offensive weapon and PP QB. Keith has been solid, for the most part, he's just not Norris Keith, anymore. Dahlstrom has been a pleasant stay-at-home defense, solid, surprise. Keith has been sick so I'll give him a pass on last night. Toews is still a #1 center. He's above 50% in possession metrics, which is good (as far as this team goes), he's on pace for ~75 point season, and is top 10 in FOs with far more FOs taken than almost the entire top 10 around him. He's easily still a #1C. Guarantee he has a top 3 Selke finish this year, top 5 at worst. And Strome looks to be the 2C of the future. The bottom 6 is fairly easy to remake... that's why it's your bottom 6. Much of it is in place with younger players who will continue to develop. And this team will bring in some good bottom 6 players, whether through FA or trade. They're all over the league...

So yeah... hyperbole. Lots of it.

Last edited:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Their record/points standings indicate that, yes. I also think a large chunk of that falls on goaltending. Ward has been the tank commander way above and beyond anyone else. If Delia is in net last night, the Hawks likely win that game, IMO. And numerous others. Including the Winter Classic. This team is not the worst in the NHL, more like middle of the pack, as far as talent goes, right now. With a lot more incoming.

They don't need to replace their entire top 4... Murphy, Gus, Keith, Dahlstrom, and Joker are playing better. Keith has been sick so I'll give him a pass on last night. Toews is still a #1 center. He's above 50% in possession metrics, which is good (as far as this team goes), he's on pace for ~75 point season, and is top 10 in FOs with far more FOs taken than almost the entire top 10 around him. He's easily still a #1C. Guarantee he has a top 3 Selke finish this year. The bottom 6 is fairly easy to remake... that's why it's your bottom 6. Much of it is in place with younger players who will continue to develop. And this team will bring in some good bottom 6 players, they're all over the league...

So yeah... hyperbole. Lots of it.

The defense has been horrible all year.

The Hawks have given up the most High Danger Scoring Chances against in the league by a mile

Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

They give up the most High Danger Chances per 60 in the league, by a mile

Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

I don't know how anyone could watch this team this year and not say the defense is one of the worst in the league. Keith has lost a step and Seabrook has lost 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad