Injury Report: Kane (Wrist) Placed on LTIR, Estimate 3-4 Months Recovery

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I wasn't comparing anybody to Tkachuk. I was responding to your assertion about how much player respect ithere s, when obviously it isn't a given.

Nobody here shares your opinion that Maroon was totally innocent on the play. Maroon was involved in the play, and skating to this action in his police role as he was expecting Kane to get up and go nuts on the guy that just slewfooted him.

Incredible that you think a player that intentionally fired the puck straight into the Dallas Stars bench in a cup final after period ended is some kind of angel. Maroon has had a long list of bonehead decisions that ended up in potential injuries.
You brought Tkachuk in as an example. Bad example. He has always been a douchebag and for him to do shit like he has is no surprise. He respects no one. As for no one shares my opinion, there have only been a select few who have said otherwise, besides I could care less. My opinion is my opinion. I don't expect you or everyone else to agree with it, just engage in discussion. I never said Maroon was an angel, you did. I never said he was a smart player or person. I just don't think he meant to slash Kane's wrist, accident or otherwise, end of story for my part.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You brought Tkachuk in as an example. Bad example. He has always been a douchebag and for him to do shit like he has is no surprise. He respects no one. As for no one shares my opinion, there have only been a select few who have said otherwise, besides I could care less. My opinion is my opinion. I don't expect you or everyone else to agree with it, just engage in discussion. I never said Maroon was an angel, you did. I never said he was a smart player or person. I just don't think he meant to slash Kane's wrist, accident or otherwise, end of story for my part.
The discussion was about whether Maroon zooming in there for no reason with a man down on the ice was a careless action. You've tried in every way to misshape the points others are making. Nobody said there was intent to slash the wrist. Thats where people are saying you are using strawman argument. In anycase the bolded is oddly worded.

Maroon is not a respectful player. I liked him here but he's a bad actor and has been involved in a lot of poorly thought out plays and actions. Indeed one of the reasons his skate wasn't far over the ice when he cut Kanes wrist was he was trying to knee the downed Kane in the head *accidently on purpose*. Not the first time he's done that kind of thing either. Maroon does some really dumb things on the ice.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I have some insider info from a friend in the medical community that the injury is worse than expected. Apparently the hand was completely amputated, and they've had to inject salamander DNA into the stump in the hopes of regrowing it (deadpool style). The one positive is he could come back sooner than expected wearing on a timbit glove on the affected hand. He sent me a picture of the progress thus far.

Attachments

• E-Kane Progress-189228.jpg
    E-Kane Progress-189228.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 3

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
So obviously tendon, potentially multiple tendons, and nerve damage if it went to the bone. Really gotta wonder about long term damage

CTV has a full article on it. Kane said they had to take some vein from a different area of his arm to re-attach the artery.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Brian Berard says this simply isn't true. ;)
Yes, but he was not the same player after the injury.

Well sure it was careless. With todays limited protection around wrists and around necks Its pretty dangerous to be skating right on top of somebody. If thats somebodies goalie down there and an opponent does that bs he gets fed. What I think is despicable on the play is the Other Lightning player slewfoots Kane, has him down and seems to be holding on. Meanwhile Maroon skates right on top. It alsost looked like he came close to stepping on Kanes wrist. Not purposeful but jebus jump out of the way or something. Why skate right over the pile. Thats a careless action with men down. How many Clint Malarchuks and this incident do we have to see for players to realize that.
Just an unfortunate accident. Maroon probably did not even realize he was skating over Kane's wrist or could not stop in time.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Skate blade cut all the way down to the bone. How do you come back from that in a few months?

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I wonder how an injury like that affects you mentally, especially in front of a big audience too. You could tell he’s a little uneasy talking thinking about it, sounds like he was really panicked and in a lot of pain for about 20 mins.

Glad he’s okay now and got really good care. Just enjoy the time resting, the extra time with family and eventually do the work to recover fully. Also maybe we should inject him with some McJesus blood for a miraculous recovery.

Edit: he must feel super relieved in a way because he’s got a good contract and knows he’s still getting paid and has access to great doctors. After all the shit he’s been through, at least he doesn’t have to worry about money

Reactions: Biltmore

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Modern medicine and therapy, but the question is will he ever be the same again?

Yeah, modern medicine is a marvel, especially when you have access to the best there is. I have no doubt that Kane will come back, and likely be pretty effective. However, you have to have some concerns about how it will affect his shot moving forward. Likely take a year or so for it to "feel normal", or as close to normal as it ever will.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Skate blade cut all the way down to the bone. How do you come back from that in a few months?
Thats pretty typical healing time for a tendon repair of the hand/wrist, and typically a clean cut heals faster than a typical rupture. Vascular repair healing i'm less sure of, but given the return timeline of Mikheyev it seems pretty in line with that. Peripheral nerves generally can heal quite well in a few months as well.

I'd say the encouraging thing is he said he could move his fingers after the incident, which means it likely didn't hit the median nerve or the finger flexor tendons and probably just got the tendons of the thumb, which is how it looks like he's braced. Looks like his thumb is immobilized and fingers are free to move. I think he got pretty lucky because it looks like it missed all the tendons and nerves of the carpal tunnel.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So obviously tendon, potentially multiple tendons, and nerve damage if it went to the bone. Really gotta wonder about long term damage
you always expect the worst case scenario though.

You once thought Eichel would be a better bet than McDavid after a couple games.

Because if you had your PHD in medical you would know thats not a career ending injury like you always think.

Yeah, modern medicine is a marvel, especially when you have access to the best there is. I have no doubt that Kane will come back, and likely be pretty effective. However, you have to have some concerns about how it will affect his shot moving forward. Likely take a year or so for it to "feel normal", or as close to normal as it ever will.
Definitely takes a year if you over react about anything that happens to the Oilers.

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3