Injury Report: Kane (Wrist) Placed on LTIR, Estimate 3-4 Months Recovery

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think all that is known is that he’s going to be ok. How soon he’ll play hockey again or if there will be lasting effects are unknown.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
71F2A1C6-CC7B-4D9D-8F5B-71ECC67D2A56.png

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Timeline will be about 3 to 4 months is what I’m thinking. Wont be short term.

4 months away I'd imagine for our #4 best player on the Oilers

I know I am being overtly optimistic. Very strange for me, but I am not sure a 3/4 month timeline is realistic with the limited info we have.

Sure its very possible he is gone that long or more but its also possible we are talking in terms of weeks rather than months.

Unless someone actually has heard anything new? I don't expect he will get his full assessment for a day or two.

Reactions: Faelko

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Stash him on your fantasy team's IR because he's not playing this week (he's been give the OUT designation already by ESPN/TSN and Yahoo). Over that period of time that Oilers media will likely have an update on the specific injury and prognosis that will be discussed in detail here on HFOil. That will provide you with the information going forward about what to do with your fantasy team.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I know I am being overtly optimistic. Very strange for me, but I am not sure a 3/4 month timeline is realistic with the limited info we have.

Sure its very possible he is gone that long or more but its also possible we are talking in terms of weeks rather than months.

Unless someone actually has heard anything new? I don't expect he will get his full assessment for a day or two.

Im not a doctor but I assume it would be impossible for even a trauma surgeon to make a reasonable guess at recovery time without knowing how deep this laceration was. Is it superficial, arterial, tendons, nerves, cut down to the bone? Could be a week or two and back to 100% or could be months and never back to 100%. Right? Lets hope for the best but until we at least get the most basic details the possible outcomes are numerous.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
I have a friend who slashed his whole forearm.

He leaned onto a marble sink which broke and the broken stone cut right through nerves and everything. He has this big ass awesome scar now but the negative side effect is that he cannot use his pinky anymore. It's locked in position until he uses his other hand and manually flips the finger back.

I really hope for Kane that this is not being the case and all nerve strings are intact.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Considering our 21 man roster situation, it only seems logicial to stash him LTIR immediately unless there's a 80% chance or better that he'd be ready within 2 weeks, and past examples suggest that is not the likely scenario. His salary allows us to activate 3 players to create options and competition in the lineup again.

Earliest return from LTIR is December 3 vs. Montreal and 7 of those 10 are on the road, so best to let him stay home and heal and make sure his hand actually works probably after the swelling dies and everything starts to heal while having extra bodies available for all the road games.

That said, the ten games are a tough batch of teams with Carolina, Florida x2, LA, Vegas, Jersey, Islanders, Rangers, Blackhawks and Wild.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Based on Mikhyev's timeline we're looking at 3 months minimum on the shelf. Just don't rush him back before he's ready, let that wrist heal up to 100% and don't risk long term damage.
Refer to Alpha comment above. I think its too early to be THAT pessimistic and assume months at all yet even if it is somewhat likely based on the blood/sharpness of a skate.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Refer to Alpha comment above. I think its too early to be THAT pessimistic and assume months at all yet even if it is somewhat likely based on the blood/sharpness of a skate.
I watched the NHL force us to give the Lames a 3rd round pick b/c of "the spirit of the trade" can you blame an Oilers fan for being pessimistic lol? :biglaugh:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I hope he's back soon, we certainly need him. And I like the tone of his tweet. He's legit trying to become a fan fave, and that counts for something. He improves every player on our team IMO and is becoming one of its' leaders.

... but let's just say that his injury were exactly 5 months for NHL-ready recovery... 4 months without playing and one month to retrain/get up to game speed in the AHL.

Gosh, wouldn't that be terrible? Whatever would we do with that $5M in LTIR?

.... there I said it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I hope he's back soon, we certainly need him. And I like the tone of his tweet. He's legit trying to become a fan fave, and that counts for something. He improves every player on our team IMO and is becoming one of its' leaders.

... but let's just say that his injury were exactly 5 months for NHL-ready recovery... 4 months without playing and one month to retrain/get up to game speed in the AHL.

Gosh, wouldn't that be terrible? Whatever would we do with that $5M in LTIR?

.... there I said it.

Patrick Kane.... Come on down!! I kid. If timeline suggested out until playoffs, I'd rather see the money deployed on defense.

sOiled

Apr 19, 2012
Edmonton
Im not a doctor but I assume it would be impossible for even a trauma surgeon to make a reasonable guess at recovery time without knowing how deep this laceration was. Is it superficial, arterial, tendons, nerves, cut down to the bone? Could be a week or two and back to 100% or could be months and never back to 100%. Right? Lets hope for the best but until we at least get the most basic details the possible outcomes are numerous.

As a physician, this is correct. Impossible to accurately predict recovery time without knowing which structures were injured. Could be anything from 1 week to several months.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
As a physician, this is correct. Impossible to accurately predict recovery time without knowing which structures were injured. Could be anything from 1 week to several months.

Exactly this, thank you doctor. (I’m not being sarcastic)

Reactions: Satire and bone

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Im not a doctor but I assume it would be impossible for even a trauma surgeon to make a reasonable guess at recovery time without knowing how deep this laceration was. Is it superficial, arterial, tendons, nerves, cut down to the bone?
It absolutely had to have been arterial. That's literally the only way there could be that much blood that quickly. Doesn't take an internet medical degree. Just a basic understanding of the human circulatory system.

As to the rest? I have no idea and just hope for the best for Kane.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Best wishes and get well Evander. On your timeline.

He's probably going to be in Tampa for awhile. I hope some of the Lightning including Maroon stop in and pay a visit. I expect they will. One of the worst things about a severe injury like this is that you can feel really alone while recovering. Even Kane writing the letter out is indication of that. What a great person he is. Can you imagine being so selfless he's writing a letter to thank everybody and indicate he's OK in the midst of a traumatic episode.
Its a real selfless action and reminder of what exceptional individuals pro hockey athletes can be. We're lucky to have them and lucky to have any of them putting some joy into our lives. Thats the constant and how I prefer viewing sports through the decades. That the players spread joy. Evander sure does.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Best wishes and get well Evander. On your timeline.

He's probably going to be in Tampa for awhile. I hope some of the Lightning including Maroon stop in and pay a visit. I expect they will. One of the worst things about a severe injury like this is that you can feel really alone while recovering. Even Kane writing the letter out is indication of that. What a great person he is. Can you imagine being so selfless he's writing a letter to thank everybody and indicate he's OK in the midst of a traumatic episode.
Its a real selfless action and reminder of what exceptional individuals pro hockey athletes can be. We're lucky to have them and lucky to have any of them putting some joy into our lives. Thats the constant and how I prefer viewing sports through the decades. That the players spread joy. Evander sure does.
Shame I can't like your post.

Agreed, I think we can all see that Kane is ultimately a good guy. Good team player, means well. Has matured for sure.

What do we do with the cap space though Drivesaitl?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad