Injury Report: Kane (Wrist) Placed on LTIR, Estimate 3-4 Months Recovery

sOiled

Apr 19, 2012
Edmonton
It absolutely had to have been arterial. That's literally the only way there could be that much blood that quickly. Doesn't take an internet medical degree. Just a basic understanding of the human circulatory system.

As to the rest? I have no idea and just hope for the best for Kane.
I suspect you're correct; I would guess he sustained at least a radial artery injury. Difficult to know the exact extent (i.e. clean through the artery, or just opened).

Also worth noting that most people have adequate collateral blood flow from their ulnar artery (on the pinky-side of the wrist rather than the thumb-side) to perfuse their hand without issue. In many trauma cases, the radial artery is merely ligated (tied off), without complication. In non-traumatic cases, the radial artery can be harvest to perform heart bypass grafting. People do very well without it.

Given that Evander is a high-level athlete, the likely clean-cut, and how quickly he likely had access to an operating room, I suspect that they would have performed microvascular repair. Will be interested to follow.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Stash him on your fantasy team's IR because he's not playing this week (he's been give the OUT designation already by ESPN/TSN and Yahoo). Over that period of time that Oilers media will likely have an update on the specific injury and prognosis that will be discussed in detail here on HFOil. That will provide you with the information going forward about what to do with your fantasy team.
Unfortunately can't put him on I/R until he gets that official designation, at least in the Yahoo league that I'm in. Which is different from football, where the Out designation allows placement to fantasy I/R.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Different injuries but remember when Hall had his face sliced off in the warmup against Columbus? How long was he out for, a couple of weeks?

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Timeline will be about 3 to 4 months is what I’m thinking. Wont be short term.
The doctor in my life said that should be able to start rehabilitation in two months. That’s without knowing exactly what was cut. 3 to 4 months seems like a good guesstimate.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Different injuries but remember when Hall had his face sliced off in the warmup against Columbus? How long was he out for, a couple of weeks?
The Oilers had somebody else who got cut once but I don't remember who it was or how long they were out. It happened on the bench during a line change or something. Gagner?

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Based on what I've read, if it didn't hit any arteries or anything vital, it could be weeks. If it's the latter, then possibly months. I guess all we can do at this point is prey for the best.

Funny how Anna Kane is now showing her true colors by gloating about what happened on instagram. I think it's becoming obvious who the true abuser in that relationship was.

Regardless, all the best for Kane. He's a good dude off the ice and one hell of a force on the ice.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
forward Evander Kane has been placed on LTIR & is expected to miss 3-4 months. Mattias Janmark & Klim Kostin have been recalled from the @Condors

So kane will be back sometime in Jan/Feb

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It sucks to see Kane out that long, but it's not surprising after witnessing what happened

Let's see if Janmark can help the PK and Kostin can add some physicality to the bottom-6

#OilersPositives

Reactions: Aerchon

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Patrick Kane.... Come on down!! I kid. If timeline suggested out until playoffs, I'd rather see the money deployed on defense.

Agreed.

Soucy and Zub become options without salary needing to go out the door.

I gotta say I've been less and less happy with Kulak playing above his head, so it would be a great option to go with an LD, or 'convince' Keith to come out of retirement (not even joking).

I looked at the upcoming free agency list <$4.5M (assuming we need $500K cushion just for additional roster moves) and there was one guy who would be absolutely perfect for us... goes by the name of Klefbom.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
You don't play hockey with your face tho, the wrist os kinda important

Reports are coming out now 3-4 months. Wonder of Holland takes a page from the Tampa playbook and kane is out until playoffs 😶‍🌫️

Atleast Kane is actually injured.....

Reactions: Porkleaker

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I hope he's back soon, we certainly need him. And I like the tone of his tweet. He's legit trying to become a fan fave, and that counts for something. He improves every player on our team IMO and is becoming one of its' leaders.

... but let's just say that his injury were exactly 5 months for NHL-ready recovery... 4 months without playing and one month to retrain/get up to game speed in the AHL.

Gosh, wouldn't that be terrible? Whatever would we do with that $5M in LTIR?

.... there I said it.

Now that we know it "could" take until the playoffs to come back I wonder how seriously the Oilers are contemplating this.

The GMs all got together and said LTIR manipulation is 100% fair tactics. This always seems to be the case until the Oilers do something and then the rules change.

As long as Kane doesn't heal incredible fast/ahead of schedule or we struggle to make the playoffs I would be very interested in having him stay out until the playoffs to maximize cap space. As a social experiment it would be awesome to see because I expect the whole league will be up in arms if it actually happens.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
A lot of talk about the cut but barely any talk about why Kane was on the ice in the first place. The NHL used to suspend players for slew footing, now it's not even a penalty. We saw Drai get hurt in the playoffs last year from a slew foot and Toffoli attempted to injure Foegele with one as well. Both went uncalled/unreviewed.

The word seems to be out that this is a legitimate play now. Players are completely unconcerned about repercussions. If the league allows players to dangerously drag each other down to ice level we're probably going to see a lot more injuries like this.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Wish him well in his recovery. That's a huge loss for the team. As he's expected back before the end of the season, likely won't be able to add salary via trade, so will have to be replacement by committee internally.

4 months + an AHL conditioning stint aligns exactly with the end of the season.

Our management is a little bit too by the book, but don't think for a second this is lost on them (or on Kane) entirely.

I say we are adding at the deadline. By then we'll know how his recovery is going and how likely it is that we get a sufficient number of useful games out of him before the playoffs. If it is anything less than 70-30 that he's ready, you stretch his recovery for sure, let him have extra rehab and AHL conditioning and bring in $5M worth of salary at the deadline.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
A lot of talk about the cut but barely any talk about why Kane was on the ice in the first place. The NHL used to suspend players for slew footing, now it's not even a penalty. We saw Drai get hurt in the playoffs last year from a slew foot and Toffoli attempted to injure Foegele with one as well. Both went uncalled/unreviewed.

The word seems to be out that this is a legitimate play now. Players are completely unconcerned about repercussions. If the league allows players to dangerously drag each other down to ice level we're probably going to see a lot more injuries like this.

Completely agree.

The "leg-braced take-down" has become way, way too common. It's a dirty-danault move and they need to take it out of the game. Guys simply don't fall backwards when skating forwards unless they've been tripped/slewfooted. Especially guys as strong on their skates as Kane/Draisaitl.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The Oilers had somebody else who got cut once but I don't remember who it was or how long they were out. It happened on the bench during a line change or something. Gagner?
Think it was Sam’s leg.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Now that we know it "could" take until the playoffs to come back I wonder how seriously the Oilers are contemplating this.

The GMs all got together and said LTIR manipulation is 100% fair tactics. This always seems to be the case until the Oilers do something and then the rules change.

As long as Kane doesn't heal incredible fast/ahead of schedule or we struggle to make the playoffs I would be very interested in having him stay out until the playoffs to maximize cap space. As a social experiment it would be awesome to see because I expect the whole league will be up in arms if it actually happens.

I say do it, f*** them for giving that 3rd to Calgary, we owe it to the league for that alone lol ugh 3-4 months, that stings....But a fresh Kane is amazing
in the playoffs. Will be hard to make it without him.

Reactions: Aerchon

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As a physician, this is correct. Impossible to accurately predict recovery time without knowing which structures were injured. Could be anything from 1 week to several months.
I will take your opinion over all the other "medical" opinions on here, thankyou. People just need to be patient and see what further details come out, and even then, his doctors may not have a completely accurate timeline.

Reactions: Oilhawks

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Has
Best wishes and get well Evander. On your timeline.

He's probably going to be in Tampa for awhile. I hope some of the Lightning including Maroon stop in and pay a visit. I expect they will. One of the worst things about a severe injury like this is that you can feel really alone while recovering. Even Kane writing the letter out is indication of that. What a great person he is. Can you imagine being so selfless he's writing a letter to thank everybody and indicate he's OK in the midst of a traumatic episode.
Its a real selfless action and reminder of what exceptional individuals pro hockey athletes can be. We're lucky to have them and lucky to have any of them putting some joy into our lives. Thats the constant and how I prefer viewing sports through the decades. That the players spread joy. Evander sure does.
Did Maroon stop in to apologize?

My first reaction after seeing a guy laying on the ice is to make sure I don't skate/stomp on him. Especially right after my own guy just slew-footed him. Not Maroon. He was close enough to have just as easily kicked Kane in the face.

He'd need to be incredibly dumb not to see that his action was dangerous. I'd say an apology is in order.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Shame I can't like your post.

Agreed, I think we can all see that Kane is ultimately a good guy. Good team player, means well. Has matured for sure.

What do we do with the cap space though Drivesaitl?
Why can't you be patient and wait for the official diagnosis instead of creating your own?

Has

Did Maroon stop in to apologize?

My first reaction after seeing a guy laying on the ice is to make sure I don't skate/stomp on him. Especially right after my own guy just slew-footed him. Not Maroon. He was close enough to just as easily kicked him in the face.

He'd need to be incredibly dumb not to see that his action was dangerous. I'd say an apology is in order.
Yah, I'm sure Maroon made a point of trying to slice up Kane's wrist.:laugh: All part of the game plan.
:thumbd:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad