Kane with sports hernia - had it all year

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Kane doesn't meet any condition of getting unconditional support. He hasn't earned that in his career and extraneous activities and shouldn't. Was fully willing to accept the player but not unconditionally, and not for any timespan. Kane was best as a short term solution to bolster topsix. He can't even play topsix now.

Its pro sports. If you can't bring it now you're done. We're talking about an Evander Kane that went 21 games without a goal on one of the highest scoring teams around.
So you have never seen a power forward slump before? One that’s playing through injury, gets no pp time, has his minutes cut at 5 on 5?
I’ve heard you complaining about Draisaitl’s linemates for years, who does Kane play with when not in top 6?
Hell, Nuge ghosted for 2 months injury free while stapled to one of McDrai.
Kane finished with 250 hits, 6th in the league and still buried 24 goals, how about Nuge? He gets the free pass every year.
Hilarious that you come after Kane.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So you have never seen a power forward slump before? One that’s playing through injury, gets no pp time, has his minutes cut at 5 on 5?
I’ve heard you complaining about Draisaitl’s linemates for years, who does Kane play with when not in top 6?
Hell, Nuge ghosted for 2 months injury free while stapled to one of McDrai.
Kane finished with 250 hits, 6th in the league and still buried 24 goals, how about Nuge? He gets the free pass every year.
Hilarious that you come after Kane.
I've called out Nuge as well for not giving his all which you know.

Hadn't realized Kane had that many hits this season. Good point made by you. Sorry if I've gone too hard at him. I will acknowledge that he's bringing that. Did escape my attention that he's finishing that many hits.

Like you say I've liked Kane generally. I haven't much last playoffs or this season.

Thanks for the feedback

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
if Kane is as inconsequential as you say he is then you shouldn't be this up in arms about him revealing his injury. I couldn't have given any f***s if Jesse said he's dealing with double hip injuries going into the playoffs

I'm not going to pretend Kane is a saint, its obvious there is shit that has gone wrong with him this year re: Perry, Drai Connor all having a word with him, all im saying is that him disclosing this injury isn't it and given that he still has 24 goals while dealing with an injury which probably snowballed into affecting his play which probably caused his teammates to be frustrated with him especially with his effort. bro has been through enough, if you wanna support the Oilers on this run, you gotta support Kane too as I don't see how we are winning 4 rounds without Kane being Kane
I get it. But I just don't see Kane as being a huge part of things here anymore. Its unlikely he will be. I'd look more for what newer additions like Perry, Henrique, Stecher could bring this playoffs. Kane isn't healthy, thats a known, and I think he's unlikely to be back next season. If you're thinking the Oilers are in anyway dependent on Kane thats a pretty negative view on what this club DOES have for arsenal.

That remind me of my war favorite quote

Sir, we're surrounded
Great we can attack in any direction!
Doesn't work so well in RISK. hehe Not in war either generally.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Kane is a proud guy and my guess to as to why he went public with this is because he's starting on the 4th line, and has been playing lower and lower in the lineup lately. He hates the idea that people will think he's playing poorly and that's why he's being demoted. This is a player who's come out a lot about being "misrepresented" or "misunderstood" throughout his career.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
if Kane is as inconsequential as you say he is then you shouldn't be this up in arms about him revealing his injury. I couldn't have given any f***s if Jesse said he's dealing with double hip injuries going into the playoffs

I'm not going to pretend Kane is a saint, its obvious there is shit that has gone wrong with him this year re: Perry, Drai Connor all having a word with him, all im saying is that him disclosing this injury isn't it and given that he still has 24 goals while dealing with an injury which probably snowballed into affecting his play which probably caused his teammates to be frustrated with him especially with his effort. bro has been through enough, if you wanna support the Oilers on this run, you gotta support Kane too as I don't see how we are winning 4 rounds without Kane being Kane
I dont think that any Oilers fan wants to see Kane fail. I sure dont.
I want to see him at his best. When he is on he can be a game changer.

I think though that his motives are really whats in question here. Considering the circumstances thats totally reasonable IMO. Especially when you consider that Kane has a history of being a me first player.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I get it. But I just don't see Kane as being a huge part of things here anymore. Its unlikely he will be. I'd look more for what newer additions like Perry, Henrique, Stecher could bring this playoffs. Kane isn't healthy, thats a known, and I think he's unlikely to be back next season. If you're thinking the Oilers are in anyway dependent on Kane thats a pretty negative view on what this club DOES have for arsenal.

Doesn't work so well in RISK. hehe Not in war either generally.
I agree with you on that, Kane is not part of the future I envision on the Oilers either

we do need him for this run though so I will cheer him on, the moment he loses me is when he directly costs us games with stupid plays, penalties etc

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Getting lucky with Nashville's cap dump was Holland's only really impressive move for his $25M price tag. Tossing money at UFA's are pretty typical Holland that any GM can do and he did all the time in Detroit. Picking up troubled players no other team wanted takes some guts I suppose. Drafting has been atrocious.

I'm not even Holland's biggest fan but to say that the Ekholm trade was "lucky" is nonsense, with all due respect.
Call it whatever you want but that was one of the best trades of the last decade considering the monster impact has had and the virtual nothing assets they gave up (Barrie was a cap dump in this case and was starting his down trend as a player). It was an incredible trade.
Hyman was one of the best FA signings ever considering the contract to production ratio. Those two moves alone were huge impacts.

Also, in terms of goaltending, he could have easily dealt Skinner to find a more short term solution as the squeeze was on him big time to start the season. This is an example of patience paying off and it played a part in saving the season.

Now, there's a lot of bad to go with it too. Cap management not great, drafting absolutely horrendous, Nurse and Campbell signings destructive, the baffling Keith trade (even though he turned out fine) actually giving up positive value for a cap dump and then getting very lucky when Keith decided to retire and offer enough cap relief to sign a guy like Hyman, VERY lucky.

So.... I certainly see the bad side of Holland but to downplay the Ekholm trade and Hyman signing is being very disingenuous.
I do wonder if they could have Vegas'd Kane. It wouldn't surprise me if Holland had too many "principles" to apply such a method. McCrimmon he is not when it comes to being cut throat to get what he needs. I feel that "nice guy" mentality has bit him in the butt a few times and might have here too.

Regardless, it doesn't matter now so lets get these playoffs started already and stop dwelling on the past, me included.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm not even Holland's biggest fan but to say that the Ekholm trade was "lucky" is nonsense, with all due respect.
Call it whatever you want but that was one of the best trades of the last decade considering the monster impact has had and the virtual nothing assets they gave up (Barrie was a cap dump in this case and was starting his down trend as a player). It was an incredible trade.
Hyman was one of the best FA signings ever considering the contract to production ratio. Those two moves alone were huge impacts.

Also, in terms of goaltending, he could have easily dealt Skinner to find a more short term solution as the squeeze was on him big time to start the season. This is an example of patience paying off and it played a part in saving the season.

Now, there's a lot of bad to go with it too. Cap management not great, drafting absolutely horrendous, Nurse and Campbell signings destructive, the baffling Keith trade (even though he turned out fine) actually giving up positive value for a cap dump and then getting very lucky when Keith decided to retire and offer enough cap relief to sign a guy like Hyman, VERY lucky.

So.... I certainly see the bad side of Holland but to downplay the Ekholm trade and Hyman signing is being very disingenuous.
I do wonder if they could have Vegas'd Kane. It wouldn't surprise me if Holland had too many "principles" to apply such a method. McCrimmon he is not when it comes to being cut throat to get what he needs. I feel that "nice guy" mentality has bit him in the butt a few times and might have here too.

Regardless, it doesn't matter now so lets get these playoffs started already and stop dwelling on the past, me included.

The result was fantastic, no question. Just taking it for what it was at the time though. We needed a D. Ekholm struggled all year with a young D and was deemed the guy Nashville could cap dump. Demand for him was not that high because of his age and how his season was going, as was may clear by Holland, who gets fleeced by everyone, being able to get him for a 1st and our own mini-cap dump.

GM success has a lot of luck involved, so it's not like I'm doing hard insulting Holland. Super happy about that trade, but no one could have predicted how well it would have turned out. Been a huge part of the team success for sure. I don't know what this D would look like now without Ekholm and just some other UFA we would have tossed money at with Bouch, Nurse and Ceci.

Do you think the GM that just bridged an 82 point D is so amazing at evaluating D talent that he knew how good Ekholm would be with Bouch? He didn't even know what he had in Bouch when he made that trade. So, yeah, still say that was a lucky one for how Holland operates.

Holland being the highest bidder for a hyped UFA. Worked out well, but let's not pretend Holland was being picky and predicted the future on that one. That was Holland's MO for decades. Dodged a bullet doing the same with Koskinen's clone Marky, but also ended up with Campbell anyways. Thank goodness Hyman is aging like fine wine for us.

In any case, Holland IMO has been just mediocre Holland the whole way through for us, exact same guy that left a mess in Detroit. 1 big hit trade, some luck, $25M out of Katz's pocket. 4 years, so far, of McDavid and Drai's prime wasted on top of the other half decade wasted by another Hockey Canada buddy. If we actually had average to above average management, probably have a few division wins under our belt and who knows what else.

One magic move to find a compliment to an elite puck moving D that the last guy drafted doesn't make up for the other bumbling over 5 years. He was gifted 2 of the best players on earth, including THE best. And we go into his 5th year with the same D pair that cratered us last playoffs, and a huge question mark in net, and a rookie coach. Every large impact player we're now depending on he inherited except Ekholm and Hyman. Kane could have been one, but somehow we let him degrade over an entire season with an injury.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The result was fantastic, no question. Just taking it for what it was at the time though. We needed a D. Ekholm struggled all year with a young D and was deemed the guy Nashville could cap dump. Demand for him was not that high because of his age and how his season was going, as was may clear by Holland, who gets fleeced by everyone, being able to get him for a 1st and our own mini-cap dump.

GM success has a lot of luck involved, so it's not like I'm doing hard insulting Holland. Super happy about that trade, but no one could have predicted how well it would have turned out. Been a huge part of the team success for sure. I don't know what this D would look like now without Ekholm and just some other UFA we would have tossed money at with Bouch, Nurse and Ceci.

Do you think the GM that just bridged an 82 point D is so amazing at evaluating D talent that he knew how good Ekholm would be with Bouch? He didn't even know what he had in Bouch when he made that trade. So, yeah, still say that was a lucky one for how Holland operates.

Holland being the highest bidder for a hyped UFA. Worked out well, but let's not pretend Holland was being picky and predicted the future on that one. That was Holland's MO for decades. Dodged a bullet doing the same with Koskinen's clone Marky, but also ended up with Campbell anyways. Thank goodness Hyman is aging like fine wine for us.

In any case, Holland IMO has been just mediocre Holland the whole way through for us, exact same guy that left a mess in Detroit. 1 big hit trade, some luck, $25M out of Katz's pocket. 4 years, so far, of McDavid and Drai's prime wasted on top of the other half decade wasted by another Hockey Canada buddy. If we actually had average to above average management, probably have a few division wins under our belt and who knows what else.

One magic move to find a compliment to an elite puck moving D that the last guy drafted doesn't make up for the other bumbling over 5 years. He was gifted 2 of the best players on earth, including THE best. And we go into his 5th year with the same D pair that cratered us last playoffs, and a huge question mark in net, and a rookie coach. Every large impact player we're now depending on he inherited except Ekholm and Hyman. Kane could have been one, but somehow we let him degrade over an entire season with an injury.
There's always two sides of the coin though. You could also say he was unlucky the hand he was dealt after Chia left him a bottom 10 roster, even with McDrai, and with Klefbom never coming back and Larsson pivoting in the last moments to other pastures. You can point to like 90% of good moves GMs make and say it was lucky. If Ekholm was playing like the top 10 Dman in the league he is today in Nashville then he wouldn't have been available in the first place, if the Leafs had just a little more cap space then Hyman wouldn't have been available. Luck is a huge part of what makes a good GM and vice versa, the margins are thin between perceived good and bad GMs.

In any event, as I said, I'm not a big Holland fan as I outlined in my previous post but it does seems like you're diminishing the good he's done while also highlighting the bad. I don't think it's fair to point out the bad while just chalking up the good to being good luck.

Regardless, I do look forward to another GM being in charge next season. Holland went stale a while ago and I think the Oilers will need a more proactive/cap savvy/creative GM to navigate a real stormy cap outlook going forward with an aging roster.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
you do realize there are only so many goals to go around for everyone per 60 right?

you can't expect everyone from Hyman, Drai, Connor, Nuge, Kane to all score 40+ in the top 6, no team has that
Well, we do live in Edmonton where we have seen teams with 5 or more 30 goal scorers in a season and several seasons with four 40 goal scorers, but fair enough.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
There's always two sides of the coin though. You could also say he was unlucky the hand he was dealt after Chia left him a bottom 10 roster, even with McDrai, and with Klefbom never coming back and Larsson pivoting in the last moments to other pastures. You can point to like 90% of good moves GMs make and say it was lucky. If Ekholm was playing like the top 10 Dman in the league he is today in Nashville then he wouldn't have been available in the first place, if the Leafs had just a little more cap space then Hyman wouldn't have been available. Luck is a huge part of what makes a good GM and vice versa, the margins are thin between perceived good and bad GMs.

In any event, as I said, I'm not a big Holland fan as I outlined in my previous post but it does seems like you're diminishing the good he's done while also highlighting the bad. I don't think it's fair to point out the bad while just chalking up the good to being good luck.

Regardless, I do look forward to another GM being in charge next season. Holland went stale a while ago and I think the Oilers will need a more proactive/cap savvy/creative GM to navigate a real stormy cap outlook going forward with an aging roster.

I'm going overboard with Holland talk, so gonna try to cool my jets after this and try to get positive playoff vibes again, lol!

I gotta say though, inheriting McDavid, Drai, Nuge and Bouch with some cap issues I think is a job almost any GM looking for a job would leap at. True with Klef and Larsson as bad luck.

As of a season ago I think every single contract on the books was signed by Holland, so he has owned the cap issues for a while now. But, it's Holland, and he has been a master of the cap disaster for a very long time, since before we got him. He did some good for sure, but almost every GM we are chasing for a cup does more, with greater intention IMO. That's all I'm saying. We have the X factors with some of the elite of the elite that can single handedly win games regularly. We still fail to properly compliment them.

We needed a dealer/schemer as GM 5 years ago. We got the guy that sucks at trading and spends cap space on tiny improvements like the cap space is burning a hole in his pocket. And the master of the overripe draft picks who somehow managed to get us almost nothing in the draft himself. Recent cup winners have had GMs that made multiple big moves and actual trades over years to build the team up, plus scamming the gray areas of the rules for a boost. We didn't get close to that with Holland IMO, it's not his style at all, never was. His history was tossing money at extras to surround HHoF players and some great drafting that he forgot to bring with him to Edmonton. And he traded for Chris Chelios of course, not sure if people knew that.

Lots of time this summer to whine about Holland though :) In the end he did some just as advertised. And since Bobby Nicks was the guy hiring, I guess we couldn't have expected much better.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Kane is a proud guy and my guess to as to why he went public with this is because he's starting on the 4th line, and has been playing lower and lower in the lineup lately. He hates the idea that people will think he's playing poorly and that's why he's being demoted. This is a player who's come out a lot about being "misrepresented" or "misunderstood" throughout his career.
Possibly. I also don't think this is the type of injury someone can just target as it's just generally aggravated by things like skating, hitting or being hit which he was going to get regardless. I really don't think this revelation causes much harm to the team other than it stirs up the fanbase and media, but I don't think it should be an impact for the team on-ice if LA knows Kane is playing hurt.

If anything, I could see news like this make LA go easier on him thinking that if he's labouring at all, you don't want that adrenaline to kick in by agitating him. It may be best to leave him alone and have him sleepwalk through the series (from an LA perspective).

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm going overboard with Holland talk, so gonna try to cool my jets after this and try to get positive playoff vibes again, lol!

I gotta say though, inheriting McDavid, Drai, Nuge and Bouch with some cap issues I think is a job almost any GM looking for a job would leap at. True with Klef and Larsson as bad luck.

As of a season ago I think every single contract on the books was signed by Holland, so he has owned the cap issues for a while now. But, it's Holland, and he has been a master of the cap disaster for a very long time, since before we got him. He did some good for sure, but almost every GM we are chasing for a cup does more, with greater intention IMO. That's all I'm saying. We have the X factors with some of the elite of the elite that can single handedly win games regularly. We still fail to properly compliment them.

We needed a dealer/schemer as GM 5 years ago. We got the guy that sucks at trading and spends cap space on tiny improvements like the cap space is burning a hole in his pocket. And the master of the overripe draft picks who somehow managed to get us almost nothing in the draft himself. Recent cup winners have had GMs that made multiple big moves and actual trades over years to build the team up, plus scamming the gray areas of the rules for a boost. We didn't get close to that with Holland IMO, it's not his style at all, never was. His history was tossing money at extras to surround HHoF players. And he traded for Chris Chelios of course, not sure if people knew that.

Lots of time this summer to whine about Holland though :) In the end he did some just as advertised. And since Bobby Nicks was the guy hiring, I guess we couldn't have expected much better.

The biggest factor I'll always give Holland a little bit of rope on is that in a 5 year run as GM, he never had the ability to use the cap going up as a tool to flesh out a roster which would have been huge knowing the team had 2 of the best forwards in the NHL at a fixed value the entire time. The cap in Year 1 for him was $81.5 and the cap in Year 5 only $83.5.

He only could use space that he traded out, bought out or expiring contracts to create the room to add players and reality is that he did add at least one key player to the roster every year that helped the team.

I'm certainly not a huge fan overall of his work, but there are a lot of GMs out there who would have done a lot worse. It's just that we paid him to the be the best, where he's turned out really to be adequate to good.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
So not only did we not get a legit Top 6 Winger at the TDL, one of our best wingers was playing injured and we didn’t put him on LTIR for him to heal and for us to have extra cap space?

This news kind of sucks to start the playoffs.
Don’t believe everything you hear.

I did mention that the injury is real in all these cases. The wiggle room is in the severity of the injury and when the player says they are ready to play, as well as timing of surgeries. My point is just that management and players are likely coordinating within this wiggle room to maximize cap space, and that this isn't in the spirit of the rule.

Also, it should be pointed out that at some point in this process someone is going to basically lie. It's too much coincidence for it not to be.

The whole thing punishes a player or organization who is committed to playing as much as possible and doesn't want to exaggerate conditions and misrepresent things.
Cheaters thrive environment.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Kane plays like he did last playoffs he will be a non factor. I don’t think he is healthy enough to be effective offensively and his D game has always been weak. Hope he proves me wrong.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
He's taking a shot at Stone
Great point. Not all that much difference between Stone's spleen injury and Kane's sports hernia. Yet everyone with a microphone associated with the NHL press went on and on about the state of Stone's spleen, how it was a legit.
6 shots, 2 hits, even +/-, 16 min TOI.

He was fine for not having skated for 7 days.
Evander had a whale of a game. Unsung hero... some of the best offensive zone fundamentals going.

He didn't get a point but he helped tilt the ice. You don't ship guys out like this.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's worked out pretty well so far. No one is talking about McDavid's injury anymore.

If the Kings target Kane(which he would welcome) instead of McDavid, that's a win.
Yep. I think both teams had some misdirection on what players were being targeted. Desharnais was targeted too which is a bit strange to me. Kings did really target Hyman as well which isn't odd. I mean you have to. Hyman is that much bread and butter now. haha 54 goals doesn't go unnoticed.

The Oilers were really disciplined I felt. Not giving Kings much for PP's. Keeping the physicality between the lines. I think there was some runs at Doughty that were marginal but kept it legit enough to not get penalties.

Back to Kane. There is no disgrace in playing bottomsix in a contending club. Your name isn't etched any differently if you get to a cup. You feel proud and good to just contribute to a team this good. Like Hyman is doing, like Henrique doing, Ekholm, or guys like Perry who are extremely talented and loving to play bottomline, loving to be anywhere in the mix and still playing SC potential hockey.

Just be part of things, and on the Ice kane with the hits and the forays to the net last night creating mayhem in front of Talbot was doing that. Kings Had no offtime in this game. There were no longer cases of there being weak Oilers shifts or lines or matchups.

6 shots, 2 hits, even +/-, 16 min TOI.

He was fine for not having skated for 7 days.
Had a good game and the contribution he has to make. Doesn't have to be the difference maker on scoreboard this time out but needs to make his minutes big, excuse pun, he did that. Physically he was bringing it to the dance. He was also getting labeled with hits so that has to sting.

Reactions: brentashton

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Kane played great last night, despite playing with 4th liners

hopefully he gets elevated in the lineup
What are you talking about? Kane played third line minutes with third line deployment alongside McLeod and Holloway. 16:02 toi. with mop up :17 second PP time. 15:45 EV. Holloway was bumped to fourth line with total toi of 9:44.

Kane and Perry were 1 and 2 for Oilers in EV toi, 15:45 and 15:31. Oil drop seven on the Kings ... deployment was great across the board.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What are you talking about? Kane played third line minutes with third line deployment alongside McLeod and Holloway. 16:02 toi. with mop up :17 second PP time. 15:45 EV. Holloway was bumped to fourth line with total toi of 9:44.

Kane and Perry were 1 and 2 for Oilers in EV toi, 15:45 and 15:31. Oil drop seven on the Kings ... deployment was great across the board.
ok, 3rd line minutes
relax lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad