Kane with sports hernia - had it all year

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Making a thread about this as I haven't seen it reported anywhere.

Source here:

Kane has had sports hernia all year apparently. These generally don't heal on their own, and require surgery. I am making this thread more about the fact we DIDN'T use the Vegas/LTIR for this. He could have saved us $5.5 on the cap at the deadline, and gotten surgery and been close to 100% for the playoffs (if he got the surgery in the Dec/Jan timeframe). If he could have gotten the surgery and been back by mid-April, it is simply inexcusable from management to not go this route. I'm hoping that there was something we are not aware of that prevented us from doing this (surgery recovery not lining up or whatever).

Edit: watched the Knob video, and he said he expect Kane for game 1, so .... who knows. LTIR comments above still valid though.

Source:

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Well this does explain a lot. His speed, agility, quickness.

Making a thread about this as I haven't seen it reported anywhere.

Source here:

Kane has had sports hernia all year apparently. These generally don't heal on their own, and require surgery. I am making this thread more about the fact we DIDN'T use the Vegas/LTIR for this. He could have saved us $5.5 on the cap at the deadline, and gotten surgery and been close to 100% for the playoffs (if he got the surgery in the Dec/Jan timeframe). If he could have gotten the surgery and been back by mid-April, it is simply inexcusable from management to not go this route. I'm hoping that there was something we are not aware of that prevented us from doing this (surgery recovery not lining up or whatever).

Edit: watched the Knob video, and he said he expect Kane for game 1, so .... who knows. LTIR comments above still valid though.

Source:

Or lol maybe he actually has HONOUR unlike dirt bag clowns like Mark Stone.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The thing is even if Kane plays, and I suspect he will we're getting the Evander Kane that has 3 goals in the last over 2mths of play. We're getting a guy barely getting on the scoresheet. We wouldn't be getting the Kane that was dominant his first playoffs here or even the one last playoffs that was decent.

Kane has often looked like a ghost these last few months and not as physical, not fighting. This news even being outed now is strange. What reason would there be to get this out public now? They should have kept the injury, and nature of injury under wraps.

For instance would be better for us for the Kings to think that Cop Kane was healthy and not that he had sports hernia.

So much in this is strange.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
The thing is even if Kane plays, and I suspect he will we're getting the Evander Kane that has 3 goals in the last over 2mths of play. We're getting a guy barely getting on the scoresheet. We wouldn't be getting the Kane that was dominant his first playoffs here or even the one last playoffs that was decent.

Kane has often looked like a ghost these last few months and not as physical, not fighting. This news even being outed now is strange. What reason would there be to get this out public now? They should have kept the injury, and nature of injury under wraps.

For instance would be better for us for the Kings to think that Cop Kane was healthy and not that he had sports hernia.

So much in this is strange.
If I had to guess, I'd guess it has to do with the toxic media

Can't be much fun reading every day how bad you are, how you once again are a locker room cancer that is being sat instead of it being injury related

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Can't be much fun reading every day how bad you are, how you once again are a locker room cancer that is being sat instead of it being injury related

Yup. It's easier to take 'maintenance days' or play down the lineup during the regular season here or there, but not be ready to go for game 1 of the playoffs isn't something a guy like Kane would want speculation on

Guy would never fit in on VGK

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well this does explain a lot. His speed, agility, quickness.

Or lol maybe he actually has HONOUR unlike dirt bag clowns like Mark Stone.
Kane could have had an operation when he should've, to benefit the team and have him as healthy as possible for playoffs when its needed. He would be more honorable doing that. With his limited play and performance since February he hasn't been helping the team much.

Kane also being misleading in the clip. He's barely produced a drop since February. Is he in denial about how little he's been contributing?

Its sheer cringe hearing the media asking the specific questions becasue obviously it doesn't help the Oilers in any way for this to be public knowledge and yet here we are. The same media clowns showing they don't mind even sabotaging. "Why you so pissy Drai?"

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Figure it was something like this. He hasn't seemed healthy all year, and was noticeably limping off the ice mid-season

Two years in a row now that he's gone into the playoffs with debilitating injuries, that's tough.
Also 32 now. Older you get and the hockey injuries take a bit more time to get through. Maybe he expected it wouldn't have got to the stage.

Reactions: ujju2

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Kane also being misleading in the clip. He's barely produced a drop since February. Is he in denial about how little he's been contributing?
Yeah, I was pretty shocked to see that he still managed 24g this reg season. The poor guy has NOT looked good in quite a while now.

I also don't understand why this injury is so public now. Usually the players and staff are very hush-hush or play coy about these things. Why the change of heart now?

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
This makes a lot more sense and explains the season he's had. That said, still had 24 goals battling this all season says a lot. We often don't know what guys are dealing with season to season and always expect so much.

Yeah he likely should have had surgery but can't change it now. Hope the week off helped, what a warrior!

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Incompetent handling of this issue with the oilers. Should’ve been in LTIR at the trade deadline and rosters adds to bolster the lineup made. Why would they have done it this way?

Reactions: Duke74

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah, I was pretty shocked to see that he still managed 24g this reg season. The poor guy has NOT looked good in quite a while now.

I also don't understand why this injury is so public now. Usually the players and staff are very hush-hush or play coy about these things. Why the change of heart now?

Probably was Kane himself deciding to make it known, as he was sick of reporters asking questions. I'm very doubtful the organization wanted the information out.

I’m guessing because it’s almost healed. Usually stuff like this doesn’t get announced until after the playoffs. We’ll probably find out what was wrong with Mcdavid after the playoffs are over.

It isn't almost healed if you watch Kane's presser. He says himself that he "isn't sure" whether he is playing tomorrow. That is quite likely just "playoff talk", and I agree that he's likely playing tomorrow, but there is obviously something rather large wrong.

Still have no idea why they didn't get a surgery back in early January, once it was clear we were going to make the playoffs again.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Feels like theres some behind the scenes drama going on with Kane for him to announce this.

I think he’s been hurt since New Year’s.

Guess hes shining the light on himself prior to Game 1 for whatever reason. Comes across as selfish.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
This org is never gonna be serious about winning. This was a layup to LTIR and add at the deadline. Not only could Kane be back for game 1 at 100% but we could have added an impact player.

How do you know that Kane would agree to do it?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Feels like theres some behind the scenes drama going on with Kane for him to announce this.

I think he’s been hurt since New Year’s.

Guess hes shining the light on himself prior to Game 1 for whatever reason. Comes across as selfish.
Yeah. After watching the video I feel a need to pull back on my earlier comment about being ok with Kane this year.

There was no need for him to put this out there. It’s not as if the Edmonton sports media are Pulitzer Prize winners.

This feels like a f*** you to some people in the organization. He’s too smart of a guy to suggest it was an error or lack of judgement. This appears very purposeful.

Either way, time to bear down and get to work. I’m afraid he’s made his path that much harder for himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad