Kane vs Modano vs Leech best American player since 90s till now

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
Chelios and Kane,
I have always had a soft spot for Chelios but I can't see a world where Kane doesn't come up on top (he probably already is) unless he gets kerriganed in the near future.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Leetch for me. I do think before he retires Kane's going to be #2 all time for American born players (Behind Chelios)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Tge youngsters are sleeping on Chili. Dude was offensively strong and was ba mean sob. Plus he did it for longer than most guys currently in the league have been alive.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
1.Kane, 2. Hull, 3.Chelios, 4. Modano, 5. Leetch

Lafontaine and Roenick in the top 10.

Matthews to be in the conversation soon.

Reactions: DFC

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Only American born and raised player to win the Hart. 1 of 4 Americans to win the Smythe. 3 Rings in the Cap Era. Unless he falls off a cliff he'll easily surpass Modano for most American points. Don't even see how it's a discussion.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Probably the most scorn in this thread goes to Modano, I have no idea why. For me he is easily top 5, but either 3 or 4.

The guy was a fluid, deceptively fast skater and a great offensive talent.

1499 games played over 21 seasons. 561 goals, 1374 points. Stanley Cup champ and HHOFer.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Phil Esposito was just a scorer also....are you saying he wasn't a great player? I mean, no one can honestly say that a player that scored 741 goals is not a great player.

And yes, I guess because Hull was born in Canada (but raised in America), you could say that he's technically not an American. I consider him an American because he represented America in all international tournaments. But I won't argue with anyone who thinks differently.
He was born in Canada. Spent some of his youth in the US and the rest in Canada. He also tried out for Team Canada first but was snubbed.

He’s Canadian.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Chelios is the GOAT American player.

Kane might surpass him one day soon but right now it’s Chelios

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I always feel Modano doesn’t get the credit he deserves in threads like this and just how valuable he was to those Stars team. He was both their go to offensive player AND shut down center, regularly out scoring his teammates by significant margins while being a PPG player on purely defensive teams in an era where scoring was at its lowest. People also don’t realize how slick and skilled he was with the puck, he was very Datsyuk like offensively....dynamic and dangerous. He just doesn’t have those “wow!” Numbers or trophies to back it. I always feel he’s a very underrated player when comparing all time American born players

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
I always feel Modano doesn’t get the credit he deserves in threads like this and just how valuable he was to those Stars team. He was both their go to offensive player AND shut down center, regularly out scoring his teammates by significant margins while being a PPG player on purely defensive teams in an era where scoring was at its lowest. People also don’t realize how slick and skilled he was with the puck, he was very Datsyuk like offensively....dynamic and dangerous. He just doesn’t have those “wow!” Numbers or trophies to back it. I always feel he’s a very underrated player when comparing all time American born players
Scoring era is irrelevant. Even in the insane 92-93 season, he was only good for 93pts and a 24th place finish.

Look at his pts finishes and how he stacks up to Kane. Not even the same tier offensively. Add Kane's Hart, Conn Smyth, Art Ross and major contribution to 3 cups, I don't even know why Modano is being brought up. Fantastic player but Kane has far surpassed him already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad