innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
There's a clear top 5 IMO (no order)

Modano
Hull
Chelios
Kane
Leetch

But I really think only Chelios and Kane have an argument for #1.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Kaner is 31 and just passed 1000 points, is just 390 points behind Hull for the all time American lead, and he's putting up another elite season.

He does just about everything well but doesn't overly rely on any physical gift either, minus his crazy good puck handling and vision and he's been durable and clutch.

He's a 90+ point player at least this and next year and after that dropping off little by little.

I think he can get 1500+, and he's got some fine hardware too. One more Hart or Art Ross moves him to #1.

I think he retires the best but he's only behind Chelios today with Modano, Hull and Leetch ranked by preference.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
AR-180129352.jpg

Ray Leblanc ,,,,,,, AINEC!

Nah ,,,, Its Kaner

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Chelios, Hull, Modano

Love Hull, but the thread is about the best American 'player', not just scorer. That's why Modano needs to be in the discussion. Modano was always like an American Yzerman for me. Started out as a scorer, and refined his game to become an all around player.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Love Hull, but the thread is about the best American 'player', not just scorer. That's why Modano needs to be in the discussion. Modano was always like an American Yzerman for me. Started out as a scorer, and refined his game to become an all around player.

There's also the fact that Hull is technically Canadian.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Phil Esposito was just a scorer also....are you saying he wasn't a great player? I mean, no one can honestly say that a player that scored 741 goals is not a great player.

And yes, I guess because Hull was born in Canada (but raised in America), you could say that he's technically not an American. I consider him an American because he represented America in all international tournaments. But I won't argue with anyone who thinks differently.

Brownies

I think it’s probably Chelios vs Kane. Modano is just below for me, as I see Kane as having been one of the league’s top 3 or 5 forwards for many consecutive years and not Modano. Same with Chelios as a D. I sure loved watching Leetch play when I was young, but greatest american ever he was not.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If we're going to talk about Brian Leetch, then we also need to talk about Phil Housley.

Reactions: Tofveve

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
The answer is either Chelios or Kane but it's bizarre that Hull is not considered worthy of conversation over Leetch or Modano.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad