Kane Traded to San Jose: 2019 First Round Pick, Cond. 2020 4th Rounder, Daniel O'Regan F

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
As a defenseman in 2018 or as a defenseman over the course of the deal? Over the course of the deal, Myers has been just as injured as Bogosian. Playing 3rd pairing minutes is a low bar.

I would challenge you to find a single season throughout their careers where Bogosian outperformed myers.

Yes, they both have injury histories. But that wasn’t my point, since I assume djp is not confused about the injury history of both guys. And they had similar games missed in total.

On the ice Myers is and always was a significantly better hockey player. Whether as an offensive transition rookie, or as a not mean, but trying first pair guy with a physical edge. The fact that the team around him was total garbage, made his last few seasons more impressive.

Bogo has never sniffed Myers heights, pun intended, and Bogo’s lows are unbelievable for a veteran, tool laden professional. Neither is a Norris winner. But if you can’t see the distinction between the two, I can’t help you without a projector, 2-3 hours of video review and alcohol.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Having to rely on Bogo in the top 4 might’ve been the worst part of the Kane trade, in competition with having to watch too much Kane Eichel.

‘Fit’ indeed, GMTM

Reactions: sabrebuild

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I would challenge you to find a single season throughout their careers where Bogosian outperformed myers.

Yes, they both have injury histories. But that wasn’t my point, since I assume djp is not confused about the injury history of both guys. And they had similar games missed in total.

On the ice Myers is and always was a significantly better hockey player. Whether as an offensive transition rookie, or as a not mean, but trying first pair guy with a physical edge. The fact that the team around him was total garbage, made his last few seasons more impressive.

Bogo has never sniffed Myers heights, pun intended, and Bogo’s lows are unbelievable for a veteran, tool laden professional. Neither is a Norris winner. But if you can’t see the distinction between the two, I can’t help you without a projector, 2-3 hours of video review and alcohol.

I don't believe you. I definitely need this lesson.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
And just like Murrays horrid tenure here, his second "signature" trade was an utter failure. Now we must hope whatever first we get ends up equal to #25 in 2015 to avoid this trade being a colossal embarrassment. I'm not crying about Tyler Myers, Joel Armia, Drew Stafford and Brendan Lemieux gone. I'm pissed a carefully hoarded 1st in an elite draft was tossed away and what we got was a joke, absolute joke. Mike Milbury could have traded each asset piecemeal and returned far better then this garbage. A broken Bogo good for 40 games a year and a 2019 1st in the 16-31 range or a unprotected 2020 1st. Just brutal.

In a vacuum Kane was a good player to acquire, problem was Murray was competing against no one and paid a premium for him. At the time he was an injured trouble making Big $ player. He should have been acquired for less. If we give up say consecutive 2nds instead of the 1st then I wouldn't be as angry.

But seeing Roslovic,Aho,Konecny,Boeser,Samsonov etc all taken between 21-later and knowing Murray the moron dealt THREE f***ING PICKS. JEsus I'm gonna be sick. thanks Tim!!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Let’s do it!!!

That would be a lot of fun. Have twenty or so of you chuckleheads in a room arguing over proper stick placement from Tyler Myers tape from 2013. I’ll buy the beer!

I've seen some of these people drink. That might be a large tab.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I've seen some of these people drink. That might be a large tab.

Fair point.

You degenerate hosers are getting nothing but natty ice.

For every three correctly diagnosed plays, per a panel of experts, you may have one bottle of whatever southern tier brew I bring. No exceptions!!

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Lol I love how sabres fans are all holding their breath today to see if Kane will make it back to San Jose before going on a bender and assaulting some waitress.

Kane plays for Chicago, and he assaults cabbies, not waitresses.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
I hope he does well there. I always had a soft spot for Kane with the unwarranted crap fans give him for being a “cancer”. His on ice game didn’t make sense for us but I hope he scores lots for San Jose

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Is it too far fetched to think we might get an unprotected 2020 1st? San Jose is a good team, but they have their share of UFAs including Jumbo Joe. They have a veteran team, but with age comes injuries (not that I would wish an injury on anyone). Other teams are improving or had "off" years.

This year the following teams made the playoffs from the Pacific: Vegas (109pts), Anaheim (101pts), San Jose (100pts). The two wild cards were Los Angeles (98pts) and Colorado (95pts).

How surprised would you be if Dallas, St Louis, Calgary and Edmonton improved? Can San Jose drop 5-10pts from this year's point total and miss the playoffs? I think it's plausible.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Is it too far fetched to think we might get an unprotected 2020 1st? San Jose is a good team, but they have their share of UFAs including Jumbo Joe. They have a veteran team, but with age comes injuries (not that I would wish an injury on anyone). Other teams are improving or had "off" years.

This year the following teams made the playoffs from the Pacific: Vegas (109pts), Anaheim (101pts), San Jose (100pts). The two wild cards were Los Angeles (98pts) and Colorado (95pts).

How surprised would you be if Dallas, St Louis, Calgary and Edmonton improved? Can San Jose drop 5-10pts from this year's point total and miss the playoffs? I think it's plausible.

It's not out of the question, hence why Wilson went for protecting it in the first place and not even giving us this years pick since they were somewhat on the bubble at the deadline.

The negative for Buffalo which people seem to ignore because of lottery fever, is that even if it magically becomes a higher then expected pick, you're not going to plausibly see that player do anything to help the Sabres for a probable 4+ years minimum from when this trade went down. I mean that's some serious delayed gratification.

We could be on like the GM and coach after the current GM and coach at that point. :sarcasm:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
It's not out of the question, hence why Wilson went for protecting it in the first place and not even giving us this years pick since they were somewhat on the bubble at the deadline.

The negative for Buffalo which people seem to ignore in because of lottery fever is that even if it magically becomes a higher then expected pick, you're not going to plausibly see that player do anything to help the Sabres for a probably 4+ years from when this trade went down. I mean that's some serious delayed gratification.
Maybe, but it's also how you stock a pipeline. Almost all of the impact players on the current team are under 24, so our Cup window should run nice and long if we get the right pieces together.

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
Someone said the Sharks have the option of turning a 2019 4th into a 2020 3rd if there's a player available with the pick that they want. I'm not sure if that's accurate, but that's what I've read.

This is accurate. It's exactly what Botterill stated in his trade deadline press conference.

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
My initial reaction to the contract was, "wow that's a lot of money and a lot of term."

However it's interesting to note that Kane didn't get any no trade/no move clauses in his contract and his salary goes down as his contract ages. This should make him more tradeable for San Jose in the later years of the deal. If Kane remains a good player (and citizen) they might be able to recoup a 1st round pick years down the road.

EDIT: Wow the Sharks gave Kane a no trade clause that states he can only be traded to one of three teams of his choosing. Not sure if he's got that through every year of the deal, but I retract my original statement haha.

Just... wow....

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad