Kane Traded to San Jose: 2019 First Round Pick, Cond. 2020 4th Rounder, Daniel O'Regan F

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Wow you guys turned Kane into the 21st overall pick. Huge props :clap::dooney:

The pick is for 2019 or 2020 depending on lottery conditions. It could be worse or it could be much better than 21st overall.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
TM wouldn’t have traded the pick for Lehrer were it a top 10 pick

Maybe Lehner's erratic play and the consternation of giving up the 1st to get him is karma for people openly rooting for the Isles to fail that year.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Are you sure of that?....The Lehner trade came out of left field and I saw no rhyme or reason for making that trade or the price that we paid.
I don't think the logic of the trade is really all that opaque. Murray wanted to get a goalie that had potential to grow alongside the new core he hoped to assemble, that had the potential to be very good, and that had a significant period of team control remaining. He felt he had insight into Lehner specifically from his time in Ottawa and that elevated him above alternate candidates.

That he missed thet mark and paid a premium to do so isn't really debated. But that's separate from the reasoning behind the trade.

It's the same with the Kane/BOGO trade really. Didn't pay off as we hoped and cost a premium but you could see the logic. At least in terms of BOGO, I'd argue that trade showed poorer judgment.

Last edited:
Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't think the logic of the trade is really all that opaque. Murray wanted the get a goalie that had potential to grow alongside the new core he hoped to assemble, that had the potential to be very good, and that had a significant period of team control remaining. He felt he had insight into Lehner specifically from his time in Ottawa and that elevated him above alternate candidates.

That he missed thet mark and paid a premium to do so isn't really debated. But that's separate from the reasoning behind the trade.

It's the same with the Kane/BOGO trade really. Didn't pay off as we hoped and cost a premium but you could see the logic. At least in terms of BOGO, I'd argue that trade showed poorer judgment.

Considering the high-end prospect/youngster goalies slung around at that time were all comparable in terms of value -- Jones, Andersen -- it wasn't outside the costs of that market at that time.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Considering the high-end prospect/youngster goalies slung around at that time were all comparable in terms of value -- Jones, Andersen -- it wasn't outside the costs of that market at that time.
That's a good point, though I think he did end up paying the highest price for any of the goalies that were actually moved in that specific time frame.

I think the think where the value gets skewed to me is: was there need to spend that capital at that specific time vs being more patient (just for another season even) and seeing how things came together (or didn't).

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
Never thought the Sharks would be willing to part with that pick for a market priced Kane. Apparently was dead wrong. Going to check in on the Sharks board to see how the news is being taken.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Maybe Lehner's erratic play and the consternation of giving up the 1st to get him is karma for people openly rooting for the Isles to fail that year.

I don't believe in karma.

I want the best result for the Buffalo Sabres, and in this case that means the highest possible draft pick. I have no scruples about rooting for that outcome.

Sometimes one team has to fail for another team to benefit. Everyone (Bills fans at least) were rooting for Baltimore to lose in Week 17 so the Bills could make the playoffs. No one had problems with that or considered it "bad karma" to want Baltimore to fail. I don't see this situation as fundamentally different. It's not like rooting for injuries or anything.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

I want the best result for the Buffalo Sabres, and in this case that means the highest possible draft pick. I have no scruples about rooting for that outcome.

Sometimes one team has to fail for another team to benefit. Everyone (Bills fans at least) were rooting for Baltimore to lose in Week 17 so the Bills could make the playoffs. No one had problems with that or considered it "bad karma" to want Baltimore to fail. I don't see this situation as fundamentally different. It's not like rooting for injuries or anything.

Amen, aside of injuries. Chiefs could go to hell last year. Same with Isles and now the Sharks. It's quite fun to have others 1st rounders no matter what the sport. I feel like I have two teams in the same sport, or more like 7 teams including all other teams in the sharks division

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
People on here were telling me we would be lucky to get a 2nd for Kane not too long ago. O'Regan could be a decent player and we got a 1st out of it all the while not having Kane stapled to Eichel anymore.

Too many good things are happening to/for Buffalo lately...it must be the apocalypse! Here comes Lafrenière! :naughty:
People said don't expect more than a 2nd when everyone was throwing around 'anything less than a top-15 pick is a failure'. Botterill got a 2nd round pick with a chance to upgrade and a meh prospect that has potential still. He did well, and it worked out. Considering there was never a team who offered an unfettered 1st pick, and Kane wasn't doing any favors with his play leading up to the deadline, you have to give the GM props for managing this situation like he did.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
People said don't expect more than a 2nd when everyone was throwing around 'anything less than a top-15 pick is a failure'. Botterill got a 2nd round pick with a chance to upgrade and a meh prospect that has potential still. He did well, and it worked out. Considering there was never a team who offered an unfettered 1st pick, and Kane wasn't doing any favors with his play leading up to the deadline, you have to give the GM props for managing this situation like he did.

Who said this?

I thought the general hockey consensus was that E Kane was a top shelf rental available at any time after January and would get at least a 1st+ quality prospect.

How can you be sure no team ever offered a non-conditional 1st rd for Kane? Botterill's not exactly going to come out and say..."by the way back in January the Predators offered me a 1st+prospect, but I thought I could get more so I declined, and ended up getting stuck with the Sharks offer".

The pick turning into a 1st rounder makes this closer to a fair value trade. Based on the deadline market I'd still say 1st + Regan level prospect for Kane was a favorable deal for the Sharks.

Reactions: debaser66

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Who said this?

I thought the general hockey consensus was that E Kane was a top shelf rental available at any time after January and would get at least a 1st+ quality prospect.

How can you be sure no team ever offered a non-conditional 1st rd for Kane? Botterill's not exactly going to come out and say..."by the way back in January the Predators offered me a 1st+prospect, but I thought I could get more so I declined, and ended up getting stuck with the Sharks offer".

The pick turning into a 1st rounder makes this closer to a fair value trade. Based on the deadline market I'd still say 1st + Regan level prospect for Kane was a favorable deal for the Sharks.

Bob McKenzie was quoting other GM's saying that a 1st+top prospect is a ridiculous price for Kane. I'm not arguing that good rentals don't fetch that, but Kane had his warts and it tanked his value.

Botterill said he took the best offer he got that day and nobody offered up an unconditional 1st. The critique I can't speak to is the one where people said he pulled the trigger too early and would've gotten a better deal if he had waited until the very last minute of the deadline.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Bob McKenzie was quoting other GM's saying that a 1st+top prospect is a ridiculous price for Kane

TBF, what I remember being quoted was more just that no team had agreed to the initial ask.

I mean I could have missed a strong reaction from him, but flat out calling it ridiculous seems more out of the Don Cherry school of commentary than a typical Bobby Mac public comment.

(He saves the juicy hot takes for his private email with his buddies in the league office)

Reactions: Chainshot

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
At least now this trade is acceptable.
Neither good or bad.
I would say it would fit into the good mold if it wasn't lottery protected.

I am just happy he signed there and we didn't resign him.
He wasn't a good fit here.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

There were people who openly rooted for islander players to get injured. It was disgusting.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
There were people who openly rooted for islander players to get injured. It was disgusting.

Agreed. Aside from rival fanbases, I don't think I've ever seen a fanbase hate another fanbase more than the Isles fans hated Sabres fans that year.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Bob McKenzie was quoting other GM's saying that a 1st+top prospect is a ridiculous price for Kane. I'm not arguing that good rentals don't fetch that, but Kane had his warts and it tanked his value.

Botterill said he took the best offer he got that day and nobody offered up an unconditional 1st. The critique I can't speak to is the one where people said he pulled the trigger too early and would've gotten a better deal if he had waited until the very last minute of the deadline.

It's not like GM's gain anything by keeping the perceived market value low for a guy they want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad