Proposal: Kane to Buffalo

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
The team to ask is probably the Kings since they have a glut of prospects and are close to being in a contention window while still having a pile of vets to lead the way.

Also, still not sure how putting Mittelstadt in a deal to help the team that doesn't address their lack of ability to replace him in the lineup at his position is still a thing.

Some growing pains with Cozens and Krebs as 2C and 3C (and Larry at 4C playing 17 or 18 minutes a game). You ride that out two years and see where you are at.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I dont know what a Kane UFA deal even looks like. 4x6.75? Thats a hometown discount. That's the max term and max annual we could/should do. Its a bargain final contract, and on the Sabres he could still do 20G 45A in the last year. We would (at some point) have to move out a forward that we don't want to move, but I think the value in Kane would still be there so it would be OK.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So is there a version of Pu, a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 6th that the Hawks want? Because paying premium rental prices is not the way.

The most I could see the Sabres giving up would be something like VO + RyJo IF VO gets a 1 year deal and RyJo is giving off serious walk vibes.

Although, there is the Terry factor...

:help:

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
I kinda like the idea of Kane for a year or two but I wouldn't want to touch the core. Maybe Florida's pick and maybe a 2nd. No more. I'm sure Chicago would want a lot more than that and someone will give it to them

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Although, there is the Terry factor...

:help:
That does make me a little nervous. With the attendance issues this year and the desire of the Pegulas to win. If Adams receives a call from the Hawks saying Kane would waive for Buffalo, does Terry start seeing dollar signs and a guy that could put more butts in the seats?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That does make me a little nervous. With the attendance issues this year and the desire of the Pegulas to win. If Adams receives a call from the Hawks saying Kane would waive for Buffalo, does Terry start seeing dollar signs and a guy that could put more butts in the seats?
Crazier things have happened.

:dunno:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
There gonna be around 5 teams that think they are in their cup window and are just one player away. Thats the team to deal with.

I'm not saying this is the deal you would want, its just off the top of my head, without checking the salary caps of the top teams for next year. Kane (half retained) for Lafreniere is the kind of trade that will end up happening.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
no-bugs-bunny.gif

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I think many Sabres fans on these boards are still scarred by Tim Murray and refuse any idea of trades for high profile players, but I think that's a mistake. I think there's an argument to be made for some "win now" moves(within reason) while we have so much talent on such cheap contracts.

If it's an actual bidding war, we're not interested at all. Sabres don't need any cash retained on the deal either.

If Kane is coming to Buffalo it's because he's only willing to waive here, suppressing his value a bit. See: Hall to Boston.
(I also wouldn't be worried about re-signing him if he's waiving to come here)

FLA 1st '22
Philly 2nd '23
Vegas 2nd '23

Seems like the kind of deal both fan bases would hate.

Maybe throw in a Victor Olofsson + pick for Connor Murphy into the deal as well?

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
See what our young wingers can do with their opportunities instead of blocking their potential ceiling with 33 year old Kaner. But if he wants to sign For a hometown discount after his deal, sure.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
1st + A prospect at the deadline if we are within 4 points of a wildcard or division playoff spot.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Only assets that Chicago will get for Kane is a trade deadline deal next spring. His AAV is too massive for any contending team to take on just for a "going for it" 1 year rental.

a late 1st : 2nd or 3rd : and a B+ prospect.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Some growing pains with Cozens and Krebs as 2C and 3C (and Larry at 4C playing 17 or 18 minutes a game). You ride that out two years and see where you are at.

Eh, I'd be just as fine with some growing pains with Cozens and Krebs splitting out time at 3C and having a Larry-like 4C. Less pressure on the kids, more possible wins from having a quality 2C already in place. Especially not interested to toss Casey in for a rental.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
If the team was at a stage where a bit more offensive punch would put us in Cup contention, sure.

But now, wrong player at the wrong time.

Reactions: Chainshot

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I’d be worried about what adding Kane would do to the team culture + identity they’re building now.

Right now, we don’t really have any super star players who are “above” the rest of the team (like it was with Eichel). Everyone is kind of on equal footing. There are no big egos that need to be catered to. It’s just a young, hard working team who are all playing for each other and trying to establish themselves in the NHL. There’s no one player they can rely on or defer to. They have to kind of do it together. I really like that, and I like that they are all of similar age and are all developing together and bonding as a team.

I’m not saying Kane would be a bad influence. But I’d be worried about how it could change the current team chemistry. I’m not sure I want to add an established super star to the roster. At least yet. The culture change is not established enough yet. Adding the wrong type of player could ruin it. I think the Sabres have to be very careful about the players they add to the room right now.

It doesn’t really make much sense for Buffalo to give up any major assets for Kane anyway.
I’d say they are looking pretty good at top 6 W right now. Goaltending and Center are bigger needs IMO.

I think he's moved past his immaturity. However, there is some validity to this opinion. I just look at where he is in his career. He's at the point where he's looking to elevate his place in the games history. Coming to Buffalo would be a boon, but really ONLY makes sense as a UFA after 2023. So if he wants to do that, sure. However, giving up any sort of tangible assets, make no sense to me personally.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
If the team was at a stage where a bit more offensive punch would put us in Cup contention, sure.

But now, wrong player at the wrong time.
100%.

Any asset traded for him is a bad trade. Signing him as a free agent is possible, but still not desirable in my book.

These kids are the future, and they are earning the right to be the superstars in this town. Kane gave up that opportunity along time ago. If he comes here he will be stealing limelight that these kids earned. Not a good scenario given he will already be into his slowly declining years.

I said it before.....gave it another good thought.....and am still a HARD PASS.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I think many Sabres fans on these boards are still scarred by Tim Murray and refuse any idea of trades for high profile players, but I think that's a mistake. I think there's an argument to be made for some "win now" moves(within reason) while we have so much talent on such cheap contracts.

If it's an actual bidding war, we're not interested at all. Sabres don't need any cash retained on the deal either.

If Kane is coming to Buffalo it's because he's only willing to waive here, suppressing his value a bit. See: Hall to Boston.

FLA 1st '22
Philly 2nd '23
Vegas 2nd '23

Maybe throw in a Victor Olofsson + pick for Connor Murphy into the deal as well?

Kane on this roster, does nothing for me to guarantee playoffs. Also that's pure lunacy of an overpayment for a nearly 34 year old Patrick Kane. Pass so heavily.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
If Chicago offers us two first round picks and at least a B-level prospect, I could see us taking on that contract.

Otherwise, no.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
If Chicago offers us two first round picks and at least a B-level prospect, I could see us taking on that contract.

Otherwise, no.
1 year @ 10.5 million for a guy who is still one of the best in the game when you are already a team that is going to need to get to the cap floor? It's definitely not about taking on that contract. It's about giving up assets on a rebuilding team when the player doesn't really meat up with the time line your rebuild is on.

I would love to have Kane on the Sabres but trading for him in the off-season would be a bad move. Just wait one year and hope you have made enough improvement that Kane would consider signing in Buffalo, and coming home to finish off his career in an attempt to win The Cup in the city he grew up in.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005

FLA 1st '22
Philly 2nd '23
Vegas 2nd '23

or save all of those assets and sign him next off season.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
“Hey Patrick if your dream is to play for the hometown Sabres then we will see you next summer when you are a UFA. We should be ready to compete by then and we can offer you a magical run to the playoffs and beyond in your home city.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad