Proposal: Kane to Buffalo

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Chicago fan coming in peace just curious to see The Buffalo side of a trade. Many dynamics in place salary retention, picks etc.
Sabres look to be an interesting team in the near future.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
giphy.gif

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Chicago fan coming in peace just curious to see The Buffalo side of a trade. Many dynamics in place salary retention, picks etc.
That's it man. No point in spending assets when he's not going to put us over the top next year. If he wants to come home, it'll be as a FA after next year.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'd offer up Olofsson, Johnson (if he doesn't sign and goes back to school) , and Florida's 1st.

I certainly understand people's hesitation in adding him. he's still a very dynamic offensive player, however.
I feel like that is a payment that is only fair if Kane stays in Buffalo for at least 3-4 seasons. But then, if Kane stays in Buffalo that long, his contract will be a problem when raises are due for Mitts, Krebs, Cozens, Thompson, Asplund, Dahlin, Samuelsson, and Quinn. We have cap space for a 1-3 year period. After that it will get eaten up quickly. Not only that, there is the issue of whether Kane stays effective or messes with the locker room culture.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I feel like that is a payment that is only fair if Kane stays in Buffalo for at least 3-4 seasons. But then, if Kane stays in Buffalo that long, his contract will be a problem when raises are due for Mitts, Krebs, Cozens, Thompson, Asplund, Dahlin, Samuelsson, and Quinn. We have cap space for a 1-3 year period. After that it will get eaten up quickly. Not only that, there is the issue of whether Kane stays effective or messes with the locker room culture.

Olofsson and Johnson might not be Buffalo property after next year anyways. Two potentially expiring assets and a late 1st for a season of a point per game winger?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Salary retention is not a factor for the Sabres. They could use Kane's $10M cap hit to get above the cap floor for 22-23.

You will likely see a minority of Sabres fans that are interested in giving up any serious futures for one year of Kane.

How about past considerations because Botts figured that Hagel wasn't worth an NHL contract and Chicago turned that decision into two 1sts from TB?

:sarcasm:

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Not offering what Chicago will feel he's worth. Anyone over 30 at this point doesn't make a ton of sense, unless their added in UFA. So unless he forces his way out and insists on a trade and Buffalo is the only place he wants to go; I'm not giving up much or next to anything. Conditional 5th round pick, that can become a 3rd. Love the player, and would love to have him. But, I just don't see that we're in the wheelhouse to commit to any guarantee's of even the playoffs.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I’d be worried about what adding Kane would do to the team culture + identity they’re building now.

Right now, we don’t really have any super star players who are “above” the rest of the team (like it was with Eichel). Everyone is kind of on equal footing. There are no big egos that need to be catered to. It’s just a young, hard working team who are all playing for each other and trying to establish themselves in the NHL. There’s no one player they can rely on or defer to. They have to kind of do it together. I really like that, and I like that they are all of similar age and are all developing together and bonding as a team.

I’m not saying Kane would be a bad influence. But I’d be worried about how it could change the current team chemistry. I’m not sure I want to add an established super star to the roster. At least yet. The culture change is not established enough yet. Adding the wrong type of player could ruin it. I think the Sabres have to be very careful about the players they add to the room right now.

It doesn’t really make much sense for Buffalo to give up any major assets for Kane anyway.
I’d say they are looking pretty good at top 6 W right now. Goaltending and Center are bigger needs IMO.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I’d be worried about what adding Kane would do to the team culture + identity they’re building now.

Right now, we don’t really have any super star players who are “above” the rest of the team (like it was with Eichel). Everyone is kind of on equal footing. There are no big egos that need to be catered to. It’s just a young, hard working team who are all playing for each other and trying to establish themselves in the NHL. There’s no one player they can rely on or defer to. They have to kind of do it together. I really like that, and I like that they are all of similar age and are all developing together and bonding as a team.

I’m not saying Kane would be a bad influence. But I’d be worried about how it could change the current team chemistry. I’m not sure I want to add an established super star to the roster. At least yet. The culture change is not established enough yet. Adding the wrong type of player could ruin it. I think the Sabres have to be very careful about the players they add to the room right now.

It doesn’t really make much sense for Buffalo to give up any major assets for Kane anyway.
I’d say they are looking pretty good at top 6 W right now. Goaltending and Center are bigger needs IMO.
Kane in his mid-20s, maybe.

But, I think Kane coming in to this team doesn't worry me as much. Especially since he would have to waive to come here. If he were traded here, I am sure that Adams and company would have done the proper due diligence and set expectations for how Kane could integrate into the team.

I wouldn't want to give up what Chicago is looking to get back. But, if Kane tells them he wants out and will only waive for Buffalo and that greatly reduces what Buffalo has to give up, I would be cautiously optimistic about how it would work out.

PKane is far from the top "name" guy I would want them to add this off season. But, I like adding Kane more than a LTIRetired contract to get them above the cap floor.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
You are asking the wrong team.

You want to add high draft picks, or young players who were highly drafted.

Our cup window is not in the next 2 seasons so there's no point in us acquiring Kane for the assets you are looking for. Cuz we aren't interested in sending you Cozens or Krebs or Quinn or Peterka or Samuelsson.

Kane for Olofsson straight up? Sure. Kane for Mittelstadt? Sure but only if Kane agreed to a 1 year extension before the trade.

Last edited:

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Like others have said if Kane wants to come home it will be as a free agent in 2023. I think if the Sabres build off of what they did this season by making the playoffs or at least being in serious contention in April, there is a decent chance that Kane will come to Buffalo. The Sabres seem to have most of the pieces already in place for to develop into a serious contender in the next few seasons.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You are asking the wrong team.

You want to add high draft picks, or young players who were highly drafted.

Our cup window is not in the next 2 seasons so there's no point in us acquiring Kane for the assets you are looking for. Cuz we aren't interested in sending you Cozens or Krebs or Quinn or Peterka or Samuelsson.

Kane for Olofsson straight up? Sure. Kane for Mittelstadt? Sure but only if Kane agreed to a 1 year extension before the trade.

The team to ask is probably the Kings since they have a glut of prospects and are close to being in a contention window while still having a pile of vets to lead the way.

Also, still not sure how putting Mittelstadt in a deal to help the team that doesn't address their lack of ability to replace him in the lineup at his position is still a thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad