Kane Legal Saga VI - Charges not being filed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
The score, nobody, convicted Kane. Never happened. It was handled the way it had to be handled. The score doesn't owe anyone an apology. They did an admirable job.

Why do you think Chicago fans are attacking The Score and not, say, ESPN 1000?

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Very interesting and straighforward, even to a surprising degree. Evidence, as confirmed by the DA (not by speculation of internet posters) seems to greatly support Kane not committing rape. This is a good thing on many levels, as it puts the matter to rest.

I also have to agree with those who question why Sedita goes on to admonish Kane for his life choices or whatnot. Granted, he explicitly states he is not speaking as a prosecutor, but personally I don't think it is appropriate for him to offer opinions on that.

It may not be appropriate for someone in his position to say but what he said was absolutely true. Almost like he is giving fatherly advice to Kane about a celebrity staying out late in public bars and what can happen. I would imagine Kane has gotten the exact same advice from McDonough except there might be a bunch of 4 letter words mixed in......

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I was under the impression he was yelling at more than Kane defenders, but again I don't listen to that show anymore. To me, it's like a Jerry Springer version of sports radio.

I thought years ago the whole schtick of their show was him talking down to his listeners. With that said I don't believe he even believes this big pro-accuser stance he takes. It's just his avenue to bash his callers - which is the gimmick of his show.

He's made sexist comments in the past on multiple occasions. Who really thinks he means this crap he says? Here was the latest one: "I have no rooting interest in her work, but enjoy her giant boobs.". Is this the guy you want defending a woman's honor or integrity?

Bernstein is the classic bumslayer wimp. He would routinely call out guys like Carlos Boozer as 'bumslayers'.

Yes, Bernstein is an intelligent person. Most Duke graduates are.

That said, he's a wimp. He'll scream loudly from his perch on 670 and Twitter about all sort of hot-button issues. And he'll adopt the SJW mantle.

But...he won't engage in debate or with those who will dissent. He'll simply let a small handful of mouth breathing morons on the line who can't complete a sentence to prop up his stance.

I've routinely texted into him eviscerating him on various points. No response. He has however, responded a few times with links/etc. That means he IS seeing the texts.

It's like bragging about being the tallest man in a roomful of dwarves. His positions would be slaughtered by any person with a modicum of knowledge and debate skills.

Translation: he's a wimp.

All Berstein did was lump the nuts who were yelling, "gold digging liar" and "if you go home with somebody that's consent" in with the people who said "I'm going to wait for more facts", called them all victim blamers and said they were part of the "rape culture". He then proceeded to annoint himself arbiter of truth and logic and beat his drum of ignorance loud enough to drown out any semblance of reason. Of course, he could have been putting on a show to regain some support of women who got mad at him for his sexist/objectifying tweets, but that's pure speculation on my part.

He did much more than that. He poured fuel on the DiCaro fire. He gave a forum to Tim Graham. He gave a forum and fuel to Barry Rozner.

He also painted all 'Kane fans' with a broad brush.

He didn't stop there. He went on tirades against the Hawks brass, the Buffalo police department and continually presented those quickly debunked 'rape stats'.

There were many carrying pitchforks for Patrick Kane. The Committed Indian, Tim Graham, Barry Rozner, Dan Bernstein, Sarah Spain, that lawyer Twitter woman Jen something or other and Julie DiCaro were the most egregious offenders.

He really needs to be fired, DiCaro too. Their conduct in all of this was not just shameful but a disgrace to their profession. He does not belong on a radio station that reports the news and purports to discuss it reasonably. Put him on talk radio besides Limbaugh or Hannity where he would fit right in as an angry, blathering bigmouth. Reporters were fired from local news stations for less egregious or as egregious conduct.

You can argue about Bernstein being fired. The reality is that he's a host with a popular show that's been on, what 20 years? He might be somewhat bulletproof based on the fact that his other recent indiscretions haven't gotten him canned.

The one that MUST be fired is DiCaro. When it comes to the actual job at hand, she's a nobody. She reads news updates a few times a day. She's irrelevant. We all have computers and iPhones. We get those updates anyway and don't need her to read them - badly. She routinely mispronounces names. Her job is to read updates and she's bad at it.

But now we add her 'off the air' work - her Twitter and columns. She's a nobody who has interjected herself into the story. She WAS a lawyer. Is not any more. Her opinion is no more relevant than any of ours. The fact that she claims she was raped has zero bearing on this 'case'. My lawyer buddy said her LinkedIn profile is a joke. Non impressive law career and then some silly social media crap. Going to law school and stressing out about the bar to have a 'social media' job that is mostly filled by 22 year olds?

IIRC, she was ACTIVELY engaging with the accuser's camp and then offering tweets/columns/etc. As a 'face' of the Score - albeit a very rotund one - she's accountable.

Since Bernstein is one of the major players at the Score, he is getting a pass. An 'update person' who does her job badly should have a VERY short rope.

Score Brass - and subsequently, CBS Radio Brass - have no balls. I can only imply that their failure to act and/or muzzle their spokespeople is approval of their positions.

ESPN routinely fires people (Schilling, etc) for making comments that aren't in lockstep with their far left/SJW positions. Comcast Chicago fires people (Ayana Cristal) for being awkward and bad at their jobs. Apparently CBS Radio won't do the same.

Lmao what a pathetic, little man. He wanted Kane to be guilty so bad and now he's butt hurt over how dumb he looks.

Anyone using this case to point out "rape culture" in our society is an idiot.

Consider the source. Baffoe is a grown man who delivers pizzas.

No joke, see his twitter or the guys that razz him on Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
You guys need to watch it with the baiting.

And yes, using a case in which the woman likely/possibly lied is the perfect time to point out rape culture issues in a society.

It is never about if he's guilty or not- because we don't know at the beginning of any case.

It's always about being sensitive, at all times to victims of rape from the beginning of time until the end of time.

To question if she lied before the evidence was obvious, is perpetuating rape culture. That is a fact.

No one assumed guilt. That is fabricated in the fanboys' mind.

Rape is very difficult to prove.

And it should be.

It's arguably one of the most horrific crimes that can be perpetrated on a person.

The fact that it's so difficult to prove makes it worse.

The fact that it's relatively easy to falsely accuse someone of (especially someone of financial means or power) also makes it terrible.

If a man does in fact rape a woman, he's effectively ruined her life.

On a flipside, a man's life can be ruined if falsely accused - Duke LaCrosse, Mattress Girl, Brian Banks.

The burden of proof SHOULD be strong.

Back to Bernstein, funny that two of his biggest SJW pets - the gay community and now, 'rape culture' - are intertwined.

I sent him a CDC study that found that domestic abuse/assault is SIGNIFICANTLY higher (like 3x) in the same sex community vs. the straight community. He had no response for that.

gobluejd

Oct 13, 2011
I am curious why, if not guilty at ALL would he not cooperate? Seems a little odd. Something happened regardless.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
You guys need to watch it with the baiting.

And yes, using a case in which the woman likely/possibly lied is the perfect time to point out rape culture issues in a society.

It is never about if he's guilty or not- because we don't know at the beginning of any case.

It's always about being sensitive, at all times to victims of rape from the beginning of time until the end of time.

To question if she lied before the evidence was obvious, is perpetuating rape culture. That is a fact.

No one assumed guilt. That is fabricated in the fanboys' mind.

You are simply not living in reality.

HjamSandwich

Oct 16, 2010
I am curious why, if not guilty at ALL would he not cooperate? Seems a little odd. Something happened regardless.

No matter what happened, there was nothing to be gained by Kane's cooperation.

And I see no evidence of Kane doing anything illegal at all.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

No, this is absolute nonsense. He did cooperate, but legal advice 101 is to always plead the fifth.

You claiming something happened regardless either means you were there and saw something, in which case shame on you for not talking to the police yourself, or you've already made you opinion on the matter and that bias can't change.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

What if he didn't remember anything? If he says something like, I had too much to drink, so the details are a little blurry to me, that is worse than saying nothing at all.

His lawyer probably told him to not say a word. It's just the best thing to do, guilty or not.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Like, this article is a total one sided joke...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ictims-advocates-spt-1106-20151105-story.html

"'Deciding not to prosecute a case is not the same things as the woman lied. I think that has really been conflated a great deal,' said Sharmili Majmudar, executive director of the Chicago-based Rape Victim Advocates."

Correct, the part where the woman lied is where the DA said there were material inconsistencies between the woman's claims and evidence. Never pointed out in the article.

It then goes on to say how Kane's celebrity and how the case was handled will deter others from not coming forward if they have been raped...

"Such treatment of the accuser can influence victims of sexual assault, who now might not want to tell their stories, according to Melissa Geschwind, a former Buffalo News hockey writer.

'If you were sexually assaulted by an NHL player, would you come forward?" Geschwind said. "Or would you see how this whole thing was treated by the league, team, many fans and some journalists and conclude that you would be better off just keeping your mouth shut? And if you were a man who didn't believe he needed a woman's full, sober consent to have sex with her, you might see the institutional attitude toward this case as vindication of that belief.'"

If anything, I think the initial public opinion was either: 1. he did it, what an awful person or 2. let's let evidence come out but if he did, screw him.

Finally they chastise the Hawks/NHL for not coming out and saying how bad sexual crimes are. As if there is some pro-sexual crimes contingent of the population.

Anyway, I'm done, glad this is over.

In essence, these 'advocates' are effectively saying 'evidence be damned. The accuser is the victim because the accuser is always the victim'.

We talk about 'rape culture' and this seems consistent with it. All who say they were violated were violated and all accused are guilty. Almost reminds of that girl who got burned by some guy and now thinks every guy is a d*ck.

When I see these rape 'advocates', I see this mindset.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Never saw this happen

You said you're a Bernstein fan. If you are you 'saw it happen' a lot.

Bernstein routinely talked about Kane's past, his Buffalo buddies and in particular, his comments at the rally.

He made the jump from '******* party guy' to 'rapist'

Same side of the coin of saying 'chick dressed slutty and invited trouble'.

You aren't being intellectually honest here.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
I don't know how anyone with a functioning brain can think Kane did anything after reading the press release from the DA's office and listening to Sedita's interview.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015

Define 'cooperate'? He's got a smart lawyer that was probably preventing him from facing a civil suit/pay date.

As far as your 'something happened regardless' - umm that silly little thing called Evidence doesn't support your statement.

MR2010

Sep 4, 2015
In essence, these 'advocates' are effectively saying 'evidence be damned. The accuser is the victim because the accuser is always the victim'.

We talk about 'rape culture' and this seems consistent with it. All who say they were violated were violated and all accused are guilty.

When I see these rape 'advocates', I see this mindset.

I agree. This article from The Buffalo News supports this.

The Buffalo News

Robyn Wiktorski-Reynolds, director of Crisis Services’ advocate program, said the point-by-point breakdown of his reasoning showed a lack of sensitivity.

“There is a person behind this allegation,†she said. “The nature of this crime is so intimate. And somebody out there, this survivor who was willing to say something, has been exposed in a level that is unfair.â€

This article has the DA's response to the bite marks:

When asked by The Buffalo News if it was true that bite were marks found on the alleged victim’s shoulders, Sedita answered:

“There were bite marks or so-called ‘hickeys’ on her shoulders. Kane likely caused them.â€

When asked if there was consensual sex between the two, Cambria said, “It didn’t happen. It did not happen, and all the evidence supports tht.â€

MR2010

Sep 4, 2015

You should go back and find BroadwayJay's posts on this matter. He is a practicing New York criminal defense attorney and he nailed this case from the beginning. He said he would not advise his client to talk to the police at all and he would only talk to the police if he had some innocence proffer to make on his client's behalf.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
I agree. This article from The Buffalo News supports this.

This article has the DA's response to the bite marks:

One quote from that article (from Kane's lawyer) that i found very troubling:

“We conducted a very thorough investigation of our own, and I do not believe that she dropped out because of stress and strain. … I believe she wanted to soften the blow after being told the investigation was going nowhere,†Cambria said. “Stress and strain? Every week, my office would get pictures sent to us of this young woman at parties and social occasions, living it up. … I do not believe she was suffering stress and strain.â€

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
Why do you think Chicago fans are attacking The Score and not, say, ESPN 1000?

I don't think much of the average Chicago fan. Most that you talk to in person are meatballs.

Fans on this board are generally knowledgeable and reasonable; and therefore respectable.

STC

Oct 29, 2012

Doesn't matter how innocent you are, only an idiot would ever talk to the cops who are investigating him as a potential suspect. That's criminal law 101.

Hopefully you keep that in mind if you are ever suspected of something you didn't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad