Post-Game Talk: Kane is back!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So the Oilers are 19-4-5 since January 11th.

How the heck are we still behind LA and Vegas?
LA is 19-8-3 in last 30GP
VGK is 17-9-4
EDM 18-6-6

Not much ground gained... Only teams that lost ground in West are WPG, CGY and maybe Seattle

Because we dug ourselves a hole early and often.
Having to play Ceci, Kulak AND Barrie in top 4 and Campbell in net would do that to you .

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Man that was a super fun game to take in. Our second game in Seattle and impressive how much more popular/established the Kraken are here. Great energy in the game and the area around the rink. Man, I sweat the Oilers goaltending but the Krack duo was awful today.

Saw Bob Nicholson last night out and about in my Oil jersey. Noticed him at the last minute and gave him a 'oh, hey Bob.' He seemed a bit of a dick truth be told. Didn't have a chance to say that he's one of the most overrated sports executives going.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Man that was a super fun game to take in. Our second game in Seattle and impressive how much more popular/established the Kraken are here. Great energy in the game and the area around the rink. Man, I sweat the Oilers goaltending but the Krack duo was awful today.

Saw Bob Nicholson last night out and about in my Oil jersey. Noticed him at the last minute and gave him a 'oh, hey Bob.' He seemed a bit of a dick truth be told. Didn't have a chance to say that he's one of the most overrated sports executives going.
What does Nicholson even do exactly?

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
@BlackMcDog @Ritchie Valens

I apologize for not posting Kane gifs. I was over at my neighbors watching the game and drinking haha. But I came here to post these:
kane-entrance.gif

kane-entrance.gif

kane-entrance.gif

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
And watch him still not get MVP…

I didn’t watch most of it but it’s always interesting to hear when we play sloppy but still win.

How many years did we have to be on the other side of that. Like the oilers would outplay a great team but still lose to a good team that had a bad game.

Feels nice to be on the other side of that. Good teams still win bad games. Rejoice!!!
give MVP to Marner Toronto media thinks

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Ken Dryden with the record? It's unreal that Dryden won the Conn Smythe before winning the Calder.
They took him in league and played 6 games before playoffs. He went on a run in playoffs and won Conn Smythe. Next year , Calder. What a start to a career

@BlackMcDog @Ritchie Valens

I apologize for not posting Kane gifs. I was over at my neighbors watching the game and drinking haha. But I came here to post these:
View attachment 671860

HELL, FIRE, & BRIMSTONE, ITS KANE!

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
I don't understand this logic.

If McDavid had grown up with wooden sticks, one would imagine he would be equally proficient by the time he reached the NHL.

I'm more curious in that situation is how would his speed destroy defenders in the 80s. Some of the most stalwart were not very mobile back then.

Here's the logic. I don't think any player could be equally proficient in the 80s as they are with current stick technology.

I think if Gretzky had current stick technology he would have broken the 100 goal plateau in his career. Probably Lemieux would have as well.

Current stick technology allows more accurate and harder shots than was possible in the 80s.

Last edited:

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
So i basically got the luck of the draw having to see Campbell live in Winnipeg.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Here's the logic. I don't think any player could be equally proficient in the 80s as they are with current stick technology.

I think if Gretzky had current stick technology he would have broken the 100 goal plateau in his career. Probably Lemieux would have as well.

Current stick technology allows more accurate and harder shots than was possible in the 80s.

And goalies are infinitely better. Current goalies aren’t winning the Vezina with an .881 SV% like back then

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
And goalies are infinitely better. Current goalies aren’t winning the Vezina with an .881 SV% like back then
That’s not necessarily goalies being better most of that’s equipment technology and the game itself evolving.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

You think stick technology is the biggest change?

It's systems and team defense by a mile. He isn't getting even close to 100 goals.

Reactions: ujju2

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The "era" debate is always going to be difficult as it's hard to compare players from 40/60/80/100 years ago... but I always look at the most dominant players as likely being dominant in any era.

Gretzky would dominate in any era imo... stick a prime 24 year old Gretzky in 2023 and he'd be posting gargantuan numbers today as well as he'd have the superior training/technology as well.

Same goes for McDavid... throw him back in 1982 and he'd still be dominant even with the lesser technology of those days as his speed/smarts would translate well and he'd expose D and goalies badly.

Throw prime Bobby Orr in present day and he'd dominate something fierce as well and would easily be the best dman.

I think it would be:

1 Gretzky
2 Lemieux
3 McDavid
4 Orr

... no matter what era you put those players in.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That’s not necessarily goalies being better most of that’s equipment technology and the game itself evolving.
Goalies are also a lot bigger, Dryden was 6'4" and 207lbs but was considered a very big goalie back then. Fuhr was 5'11" and 184. Moog was 5'9" 170 lbs. Hasek at 6'2", Barrasso at 6'2" and Hextall at 6'3" were considered big guys back then. Today Saros is considered an anomaly by being a small goalie. He is about the same size as Fuhr.

This is from a couple of years ago:

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Not tio take anything away from Skinner who I think should be in consideration for the Calder, but those 29 wins were over 3 seasons. That said he is now tied for 21st for the most wins by a rookie goalie in a single year. And one of the guys he is tied with is Turk Broda. Two more wins and he ties Carey Price.

It's late and I'm probably doing something wrong, but nhl site shows a different story.

There are a lot of goalies who should be on the list but aren't. For example, Jimmy Howard had 37 wins in 09-10 and isn't on that list.

It's nice to see Skinner have a great season but F the Calder. Honestly I'd rather an Oiler win the Masterton. I couldn't care less about who wins the Calder. Also, lots of goalies have had great rookie seasons and not won, I don't think anyone wants the Raycroft curse.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's late and I'm probably doing something wrong, but nhl site shows a different story.

There are a lot of goalies who should be on the list but aren't. For example, Jimmy Howard had 37 wins in 09-10 and isn't on that list.

It's nice to see Skinner have a great season but F the Calder. Honestly I'd rather an Oiler win the Masterton. I couldn't care less about who wins the Calder. Also, lots of goalies have had great rookie seasons and not won, I don't think anyone wants the Raycroft curse.
Good catch! I should have gone straight to NHL site!

Frankly I agree with you about the Calder. Though it might be nice for the team to have him recognized.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad