Post-Game Talk: Kane is back!

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Great win nobody in the league close to our offence
This is really getting to be a thing. The Oilers had been near the top of League offence all season, but in the past couple of months it's gone supernova.

Goals since Jan. 11th:
127 - Edmonton
108 - Colorado
105 - Tampa Bay
. . .
66 - Philadelphia

Over these 28 games, the Oilers have been scoring 4.54 goals per game, or about the same pace as the 1986-87 Oilers, which (by playoff time) featured Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Nilsson, Tikkanen, and Ruotsalainen.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
They need to go 11-7. Everyone on defense looks 100x better with less ice time.
I never unserstand why its 12 forwards and the half of that on D.
Easily I sacriface a 4th liners spot forba stabilised D.

Is even 8-10 a thing, with even 4 pairs...?

Nurse - Ceci
Ekholm Bouchard
Niemilainen - Kulak
Broberg - Desharnias

Their forward group is too good this season to do that. Holland really needed to find a vet for that 3rd pairing. Schenn would have been a perfect add, really cheap contract cheap acquisition cost. Oh well
Cant find anyone now, its to late.
7D is better.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Pretty much clinches top 3 in the division.
With 13 to play and they have a game in hand?o_O

I'm happy with the result (not the substandard play), but let's not get carried away here. Feeling good about where we are, but lots of hockey to be played still.

Also, on another note, I thought Hyman looked a lot more like himself out there again. Nice to see, and hopefully whatever was ailing him continues to get better.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
The "era" debate is always going to be difficult as it's hard to compare players from 40/60/80/100 years ago... but I always look at the most dominant players as likely being dominant in any era.

Gretzky would dominate in any era imo... stick a prime 24 year old Gretzky in 2023 and he'd be posting gargantuan numbers today as well as he'd have the superior training/technology as well.

Same goes for McDavid... throw him back in 1982 and he'd still be dominant even with the lesser technology of those days as his speed/smarts would translate well and he'd expose D and goalies badly.

Throw prime Bobby Orr in present day and he'd dominate something fierce as well and would easily be the best dman.

I think it would be:

1 Gretzky
2 Lemieux
3 McDavid
4 Orr

... no matter what era you put those players in.
I can get behind this 100%

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
You think stick technology is the biggest change?

It's systems and team defense by a mile. He isn't getting even close to 100 goals.
It was gretzky's hockey mind that put him levels above all others. No doubt with today's rule advantages and training and equipment and diet and technology, gretzky would still be setting records

Reactions: Duke74

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
In case no one has seen this yet. Super awesome to see how happy they are. Good on Evander for turning things around.

Oh man this makes me happy. So cool to have Connor drop the puck there too.

My buddy from the east coast us was asking me yesterday how Kane has been. And I had to stop and think.. I don’t think there’s been ANY controversy. He’s doing everything right, being a good teammate, good dad, spending time with sick kids, just everything you’d want out of him.

Sometimes you just need to grow up a little bit. We don’t all live perfect lives, you can make mistakes, you can be a bad guy for a few years, change, and spend the rest of your days being an example to everyone else. Tired of people defining everyone by their worst moments in life, you CAN change, you can redeem yourself and make life better for your family and everyone around you.

Kane should be proud, he’s entered a new chapter of his life and it’s looking like it’ll be great and he’ll have a happy ending when it’s all said and done. Just needs a Cup as that cherry on top.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Yeah. Thats why the discussion about eras are kinda dumb.
Maybe 120 if McDavid circa 1988 had todays stick.
Mcdavid today in that era. I dunno. Maybe every shift.
If he wasnt clubbed into oblivion.
More than stick technology, the ‘80s era forwards were held back by 2-line pass whistles. Today, the ice is more open for speed and stretch passes.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
This is really getting to be a thing. The Oilers had been near the top of League offence all season, but in the past couple of months it's gone supernova.

Goals since Jan. 11th:
127 - Edmonton
108 - Colorado
105 - Tampa Bay
. . .
66 - Philadelphia

Over these 28 games, the Oilers have been scoring 4.54 goals per game, or about the same pace as the 1986-87 Oilers, which (by playoff time) featured Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Nilsson, Tikkanen, and Ruotsalainen.
Great stat pull, this is incredible.

If Skinner gives us average goal-tending in the playoffs, we should be able to out score almost any team.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Goals since Jan. 11th:
127 - Edmonton
108 - Colorado
105 - Tampa Bay
. . .
66 - Philadelphia

The bottom guys started scoring and it made a huge difference. The addition of Yanmark and Kostin, Foegele and Ryan playing very well. Ekholm and Bjugstad helped too. If the Oilers could allow half a goal less per game, they'd be favorites to win the cup. The defense is just shitty. They are 9th worst in the league in the goals against category.

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
I haven't read back through the GDT, did anyone gif Vinny laughing his ass off at McCann from the penalty box?
desharnais-laughing.gif

• Love
Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad