Injury Report: Kane Held out to Prevent Infection to Hand [mod]

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@DarrinBauming: Paul Maurice on Evander Kane's return from hand injury: "Soon, I guess... I don't want him back until that thing's healed.. (cont.) #NHLJets

@DarrinBauming: ..because the infection in those can cause problems all year and sometimes permanently so we're going to be really, really careful with him"

nic16

Jan 7, 2014
You dont screw around with infections, especially these days with things like flesh eating disease. IF that infection spreads into the blood things could real scary real quick. This happened to someone I know.

A very smart decision by Jets mgmt to keep Kane on the IL until completely healed.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Well, I guess that tells us why he wasn't on the ice earlier. It sux: I like his intensity, and I know he can handle himself in a fight, but I hate seeing one of the few players we can label a "star" take himself out of the line-up by throwing down. :(

Here's hoping for a quick recovery. :nod:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I thought it was about the media attacking Kane for not skating yesterday even though he did skate yesterday! :dunno::confused:

:laugh:

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
What purpose does punching someone in the helmet have other than to cause hand injuries?

The answer is to curb fighting. Players are supposed to begin understanding that knuckles+helmets=hand injuries.

Can someone clue Kane in on this? 2nd time this season he's been on the shelf & he's likely played thru a few of these as well.

Peluso lost his entire NHL season last year to a hand injury from fighting. I doubt even UFC fighters would agree to punch opponents in the head wearing carbon fiber helmets scientifically designed to withstand impact.

Hey if Peluso, Thorburn or Pardy want to drop the gloves I can live with a lost season.

The Jets can't have Kane, Ladd or Trouba engaging in this. Our lack of depth can't afford such easily avoidable injuries.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah I wince everytime a player in a fight throws a punch. I can only imagine what it feels like to pound your knuckles into a helmet a few times - particularly if you hit the edges and ridges and so forth. Thorbs was in a fight a couple games back and the camera gave a good look at his hand while he was in the box. It was ugly. His knuckles looked pretty messed up...

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I think it's pretty clear, the writing is on the wall here.

The players conspired to get Kane's hand infected, so that Noel would get fired.

Foreseeing a magical man from Toronto would arrive, touch him on his forehead and heal his body and spirit so he could skate again.

Think about it guys. Connect the dots. Kane's 'healthy scratch'. That massive, full-blown argument between Ladd and Noel. Buff's weight loss. Slater making cowboy boots. The 'ya knows'. It all makes sense now. So much sense. :sarcasm:

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah I wince everytime a player in a fight throws a punch. I can only imagine what it feels like to pound your knuckles into a helmet a few times - particularly if you hit the edges and ridges and so forth. Thorbs was in a fight a couple games back and the camera gave a good look at his hand while he was in the box. It was ugly. His knuckles looked pretty messed up...

From what I've read officials have been instructed to break up fights when the helmets come off. If so, why would anyone even bother? I wince as well whenever a head shot is attempted.

Is it just me or are more players attempting body shots now? Also the "short punch" with the hand often holding the opponents jersey seems to be the new "in thing." First I'd seen either of these routinely done is by our own Peluso. He seems to have learned well after breaking his hand that head shots are the last thing one should attempt.

Hopefully Kane has now learned this lesson too.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Can a MOD change the title to the thread.
Kane's hand (appears) to only be cut. He's being held out to PREVENT infection.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
From what I've read officials have been instructed to break up fights when the helmets come off. If so, why would anyone even bother? I wince as well whenever a head shot is attempted.

Is it just me or are more players attempting body shots now? Also the "short punch" with the hand often holding the opponents jersey seems to be the new "in thing." First I'd seen either of these routinely done is by our own Peluso. He seems to have learned well after breaking his hand that head shots are the last thing one should attempt.

Hopefully Kane has now learned this lesson too.

I would like to see more of those body shots instead of temple/side of the head shots. You're just hurting your hand, man. Heads are hard. Unless you can get the guy on the chin....

A comment I heard on UFC the other day: gloves are meant to protect the puncher's hands, not the opponent's head. Hands are not harder than heads. If hands were harder than heads, the human race would have wiped itself out thousands of years ago. :)

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
I think it's pretty clear, the writing is on the wall here.

The players conspired to get Kane's hand infected, so that Noel would get fired.

Foreseeing a magical man from Toronto would arrive, touch him on his forehead and heal his body and spirit so he could skate again.

Think about it guys. Connect the dots. Kane's 'healthy scratch'. That massive, full-blown argument between Ladd and Noel. Buff's weight loss. Slater making cowboy boots. The 'ya knows'. It all makes sense now. So much sense. :sarcasm:

Someone is starting to sound like me and i love it:sarcasm:

Slater making cowboy boots:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Still think they convened though;)

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Can a MOD change the title to the thread.
Kane's hand (appears) to only be cut. He's being held out to PREVENT infection.
Just my speculation, but this does not make a lot of sense. If it's cut but not infected, playing with it- assuming it is properly covered- shouldn't increase the likelihood of infection, (but could delay healing).
It's possible, however, that he cut it on his opponent's tooth, in which case it is essentially a human bite, is immediately 'infected' and can be bad.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Just my speculation, but this does not make a lot of sense. If it's cut but not infected, playing with it- assuming it is properly covered- shouldn't increase the likelihood of infection, (but could delay healing).
It's possible, however, that he cut it on his opponent's tooth, in which case it is essentially a human bite, is immediately 'infected' and can be bad.

Listen to Maurices presser, perhaps you'll come away with a different interpretation than many here have :dunno:
As for covering it, just about anywhere on the hand is tough to cover AND be confident it won't become exposed while playing or practicing.
At which point you have an open cut inside of a hockey glove (AKA the dirtiest thing on earth)

EDIT: To be clear, it MAY be infected but the vibe I got, and it looks like others got, was that it wasn't.

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Are all the posters and Rick Ralph now going to apologize to Kane for jumping to conclusions yesterday?

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
^would kind of be counterproductive to what they are about, and i mostly like RR, but the bias i feel the media shows towards kane is unfair.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Are all the posters and Rick Ralph now going to apologize to Kane for jumping to conclusions yesterday?

FOr the last time, RR wasn't really criticizing Kane. He was drawing a comparison between the old regime and the new. Go to the podcast here:

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#TSN_Radio_Podcast&id=24

And go to page four and listen to the first five minutes of the ROna Roundtable hour 1 podcast for the 13th. Ralphy is simply saying things are already a bit different under PM than under Noel...

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
FOr the last time, RR wasn't really criticizing Kane. He was drawing a comparison between the old regime and the new. Go to the podcast here:

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#TSN_Radio_Podcast&id=24

And go to page four and listen to the first five minutes of the ROna Roundtable hour 1 podcast for the 13th. Ralphy is simply saying things are already a bit different under PM than under Noel...

Rick Ralph said other stuff during the buildup to the game yesterday. For example he said something to the effect of him not seeing Kane being part of the Jets future as he didn't think Jets should keep a player who skips skating due to a hand injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad