Kane 2016 Or Matthews 2022?

Who was better?

• Total voters

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Pretty clearly Matthews. Not close.

More points at 5v5 and far better underlying numbers.

Matthews 2022Kane 2016
5v5 GF%60.2356.21
5v5 GF.Rel+0.82+0.7
5v5 SF%59.4850.46
5v5 SF.Rrel+6.77+2.77
5v5 CF%60.2752.02
5b5 CF.Rel+11.42+4.25
5v5 xGF%64.1547.44
5v5 xGF.Rel+0.8-0.06
GAR31.819.9
WAR5.63.8

Matthews in 2022 was basically peak Jonathan Toews in terms of play driving and possession, combined with Peak Patrick Kane in terms of production. He was basically the Blackhawks best two forwards through the dynasty years combined into one monster hybrid.

The only area this Frankenstein monster fell somewhat short was in play-making, but that kind of makes sense given on a line with Bunting (puck retrieval) and Marner (play-making), he'd be the shooter most of the time, not the passer.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Matthews was better. Unreal goalscoring, and much better possession player whose GF% at 5v5 was still better despite poor goaltending behind him.

I do think that the uptick in scoring is likely going to cause his season to be underrated. Kane was the more dominant scorer relative to his peers though while playing the full slate of games. Relative to the rest of the top 10, it would be like him putting up 130 points this season. However I think the competition was better this year (so in actuality it might be more like 120), and I think it was also one of those years where variance makes a player’s numbers look better than their actual performance.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Kane was 1st in scoring in his year. Lead the second highest scorer by 17 pts.

Matthews was 6th in scoring and trailed the first place scorer by 15 pts.

I love goals and I know why we count them for more, but Kane showed elite offence in a lower scoring time. 15-16 Kane would probably be not far to McDavid in terms of scoring this season.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Matthews.

Underlyings aside, I'm not saying his defensive season was incredible but the jump in that aspect of his game while still scoring like he did is pretty damn impressive.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Kane was 1st in scoring in his year. Lead the second highest scorer by 17 pts.

Matthews was 6th in scoring and trailed the first place scorer by 15 pts.

I love goals and I know why we count them for more, but Kane showed elite offence in a lower scoring time. 15-16 Kane would probably be not far to McDavid in terms of scoring this season.

Kane’s season was also in a bit of a lull for top end talent having good seasons, and Matthews’ scoring placement looks worse because of missed games. Matthews was 3rd in point per game and only a small margin behind McDavid. Depends a bit on how much you want to knock a guy for that missed time in terms of the season at hand, but Matthews did win the Hart and Lindsay over McDavid despite that point gap and the missed games, so if we assume Kane’s production would be similar, I don’t think it’s out of line to think Matthews is better.

Vakarte

May 30, 2022
1656295559452.png
1656295600176.png

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Matthews 2022Kane 2016
5v5 GF%60.2356.21
5v5 GF.Rel+0.82+0.7
5v5 SF%59.4850.46
5v5 SF.Rrel+6.77+2.77
5v5 CF%60.2752.02
5b5 CF.Rel+11.42+4.25
5v5 xGF%64.1547.44
5v5 xGF.Rel+0.8-0.06
GAR31.819.9
WAR5.63.8

Matthews in 2022 was basically peak Jonathan Toews in terms of play driving and possession, combined with Peak Patrick Kane in terms of production. He was basically the Blackhawks best two forwards through the dynasty years combined into one monster hybrid.

The only area this Frankenstein monster fell somewhat short was in play-making, but that kind of makes sense given on a line with Bunting (puck retrieval) and Marner (play-making), he'd be the shooter most of the time, not the passer.
I dont get how you are this way, everyone online I see who runs stats sites by this point gets how Kane, not by some fluke or happenstance, but every single year is an aberration in stats.

You know this too, you're a Hawks fan, but act like it's all in the numbers. Kane could pepper the net more... but he always every year produces more than metrics because they're not set to calculate his value. He creates wide open nets all the time for his teammates by his stick work but those aren't graded as high danger or high quality passes despite them.

Stats need to be able to add value in goaltender positioning vs shot or passes which he devastates. Especially that year with Panarin and Kane give and taking.

You can point out the defensive difference but it's goofy seeing people put Kanes, Even great offensive metrics as a loss when it's well known by anyone with understanding of it that he does things they don't value.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I dont get how you are this way, everyone online I see who runs stats sites by this point gets how Kane, not by some fluke or happenstance, but every single year is an aberration in stats.

You know this too, you're a Hawks fan, but act like it's all in the numbers. Kane could pepper the net more... but he always every year produces more than metrics because they're not set to calculate his value. He creates wide open nets all the time for his teammates by his stick work but those aren't graded as high danger or high quality passes despite them.

Stats need to be able to add value in goaltender positioning vs shot or passes which he devastates. Especially that year with Panarin and Kane give and taking.

You can point out the defensive difference but it's goofy seeing people put Kanes, Even great offensive metrics as a loss when it's well known by anyone with understanding of it that he does things they don't value.

This is a misrepresentation of the facts.

Kane routinely outperforms his OWN expected production.

The stats referenced above are on-ice metrics. Thats performance of the TEAM while Matthews or Kane are on the ice.

Kane will always get his cookies. We know that. But his impact on the TEAM’S control of play and share of chances is a very different matter.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Matthews 2022Kane 2016
5v5 GF%60.2356.21
5v5 GF.Rel+0.82+0.7
5v5 SF%59.4850.46
5v5 SF.Rrel+6.77+2.77
5v5 CF%60.2752.02
5b5 CF.Rel+11.42+4.25
5v5 xGF%64.1547.44
5v5 xGF.Rel+0.8-0.06
GAR31.819.9
WAR5.63.8

Of course half of HF a will find this laughable but this is the player we watched game in and game out this season.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Matthews 2022 is the best season ever by an American. He's not the "greatest" American player yet but he is the "best"
That would actually be Brett Hull (if you're going based off citizenship and international play). Hull's hart-winning 1990-91 season is probably the greatest goalscoring season in history and he finished 2nd only to Gretzky in the scoring race. Matthews has a good case for #2, though.

And to answer the OP, I'll go with Matthews. Kane put up his numbers in a lower scoring league, which has to be considered, but he cheats on offense and is one of the biggest defensive liabilities in the sport. I think Matthews was the much better all-around player.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This is a misrepresentation of the facts.

Kane routinely outperforms his OWN expected production.

The stats referenced above are on-ice metrics. Thats performance of the TEAM while Matthews or Kane are on the ice.

Kane will always get his cookies. We know that. But his impact on the TEAM’S control of play and share of chances is a very different matter.

He does impact that more than the scoring chances, expected goals, etc as well though. Over larger samples we see his expected goals against numbers are roughly in line with his actual goals against numbers, but his actual goals for is significantly higher than his expected goals for numbers. I don’t think his impact on GF% is as strong as Matthews regardless, but I don’t think his typical possession numbers are reflective of it either. He’s a strong 5v5 player, just not as strong as the best all around players.

Last edited:

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
There’s no telling how many points the 2016 version of Kane(playing alongside Panarin and Anisimov) would get playing in 2021/2022.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00