Proposal: K'Andre Miller to SJ

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It looks like Laf is finally playing his way into a big contract and Shesterkin's next contract will probably start with a 10 so my thinking was the Rangers will need to move someone by the 2025 offseason for cap purposes. Of course there are other options than Miller but most of them have NMCs.
The cap should be over 90 mil by the 2025-26 season. Both Trouba and Kreider will be on limited NTCs and can be moved. It's doubtful that Shesty gets 10+ mil, but if that's the number, he can be replaced. Chytil would be moved before Miller since we have Zib and Trocheck signed long term.

Miller will get a raise, but not a huge one unless he suddenly starts putting up a lot more points. That's unlikely unless he's getting PP1 time, which he is extremely unlikely to get.

Laf will get a raise, but he is a long, long way from earning a big contract. He is playing well, but he only has 11 points in 16 games and he's probably not going to get PP1 time any time soon.

We'll keep Miller and worry about how to pay him in 2025.

Reactions: Kupo

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Again what does Miller change? We still need to draft a bunch of dmen. We still need to build our basically entire defense. We still need multiple top pair D.

So we get Miller and add him to a team that is probably the worst in the NHL history or at least has a solid argument and expect him to just be okay with it. We move 3 pieces that could be used later to add to our young core like the Kings did with Dubois, Danault, Gavrikov, Fiala, etc.

It’s like adding a luxury pool to the house before the foundation is even poured.
How is this any different than the Dubois, Gavrikov and Fiala trades? Sure maybe the Kings were a few years ahead of where the Sharks currently are in their rebuild when they made those moves but I'm not talking about pursuing Miller until the offseason or maybe even summer 2025 when he's a RFA.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
How is this any different than the Dubois, Gavrikov and Fiala trades? Sure maybe the Kings were a few years ahead of where the Sharks currently are in their rebuild when they made those moves but I'm not talking about pursuing Miller until the offseason or maybe even summer 2025 when he's a RFA.
Because the Kings already had that base. They built their pool, saw who worked and who didn’t, and added around it. Currently the only guy we have in the NHL that it’s reasonable to expect will be a big part of this rebuild is Eklund.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Because the Kings already had that base. They built their pool, saw who worked and who didn’t, and added around it. Currently the only guy we have in the NHL that it’s reasonable to expect will be a big part of this rebuild is Eklund.
When the Kings traded for Fiala, Vilardi and Turcotte looked like busts and Byfield and Clarke were too young to draw any conclusions about. They didn't have a base beyond Kopitar and Doughty. You add good young players whenever you can even if it doesn't perfectly fit your ideal timeline.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I don't foresee SJ being good any time soon.

Why not keep those picks and use them for your own cost controlled dman to grow with your core?

This is more the type of move a team on the upswing would be looking to make.

Ex: Detroit/Buffalo/Ottawa/Vancouver.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I don’t think its that terrible of a starting point. It just doesn’t make sense because of the position the Rangers are at currently. They are in win now mode. Panarin, Shesterkin, Mika, Kreider aren’t getting any younger and I don’t think the pieces being offered move the needle enough to move an integral piece like Miller. It would have to be an overpay because the Rangers don’t need to move Miller at all.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It looks like Laf is finally playing his way into a big contract and Shesterkin's next contract will probably start with a 10 so my thinking was the Rangers will need to move someone by the 2025 offseason for cap purposes. Of course there are other options than Miller but most of them have NMCs.
I honestly don't see Shesterkin getting 10. He hasn't been anywhere near as good as he was 2 seasons ago. I'm not even sure Rangers extend him at 8+ long term.

The big contract will obviously depend on how Laf continues to play. I think in the end you're looking at the 2nd line money and not star/1st line contract. Laf has been playing better but he's the 3rd best player on that line. (Yeah, Trocheck has been better)

Miller is an RFA after this. There's no need to move him in fear of contract until this contract is up. We've seen RFA players with no contract be moved for good returns.

The cap is going up and Rangers could buyout Goodrow at that point.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Tell me you missed the point without telling me you missed the point.

Miller isn’t the kind of player that leads a pair. I’d much rather have Miller next to an elite guy like a Fox, Makar, etc. Sharks don’t even have a D that is a maybe top pair never mind at that level. Miller would be useless on the Sharks.
I'd rather have anybody next to Makar, Fox and inset another elite player then somebody else. What point are you even making here?

You can use the #3 to him look less important, but at worse he's still a 2nd pair dman.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'd rather have anybody next to Makar, Fox and inset another elite player then somebody else. What point are you even making here?

You can use the #3 to him look less important, but at worse he's still a 2nd pair dman.
That there’s no point for SJ to move assets for a player like Miller because he does nothing for this team currently.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Tell me you missed the point without telling me you missed the point.

Miller isn’t the kind of player that leads a pair. I’d much rather have Miller next to an elite guy like a Fox, Makar, etc. Sharks don’t even have a D that is a maybe top pair never mind at that level. Miller would be useless on the Sharks.
He leads the second pair.

Miller never plays with Fox.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
NYR love, K have little interest/need to trade him
K is everything a team hopes to get from a medium/late 1st
They targeted him and traded up at draft day, and he has met/exceeded expectations

likely no way Grier offers 2 unprotected firsts,
so how will they change NYR's mind?
the Pitt 1st, plus a couple side orders of fries, doesn't do that

Reactions: Barnaby

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Yeah, no team could use a top-4 defenseman who will be 24 next month.
Has nothing to do with being able to use him. Has to do with the fact of moving multiple future pieces from the worst team in the league that needs to be the one stockpiling those assets to build a foundation.

Reactions: WSS11

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Has nothing to do with being able to use him. Has to do with the fact of moving multiple future pieces from the worst team in the league that needs to be the one stockpiling those assets to build a foundation.
Are these really foundational assets though? Bordeleau and Ferraro in particular are assets we should be looking to get rid of ASAP while they still have some modicum of value. Picks are likely to be in the 20th-40th range which rarely pan out. We're also getting a player who fits the timeline of the rebuild.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Again the point is that Sharks should not trade assets for a guy that is not the focal point of a defense.
I guess.

Maybe it's not a fit for the Sharks for a number of reasons, but in a vacuum, not trading for good players who are 23 years old because they're not Cale Makar doesn't seem like a good strategy.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I guess.

Maybe it's not a fit for the Sharks for a number of reasons, but in a vacuum, not trading for good players who are 23 years old because they're not Cale Makar doesn't seem like a good strategy.
That isn’t what I said either. I said there isn’t really a point to be trading for a guy without an elite D prospect there. Miller does nothing to change our D now or in the future. It still will be not good enough. Personally I’d rather keep those picks specifically (the rest whatever) and take more shots in the draft and hope we can get a steal (like Miller is looking like) than move them for a guy who doesn’t really make a difference for us now or in the future.

Rangers are going to want a premium package for Miller and rightfully so. Sharks can’t really afford to move that premium package for a guy who doesn’t really move the needle for our future. Which isn’t a knock on Miller. More a knock on the Sharks prospect pool.

Reactions: Groo

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
That isn’t what I said either. I said there isn’t really a point to be trading for a guy without an elite D prospect there. Miller does nothing to change our D now or in the future. It still will be not good enough. Personally I’d rather keep those picks specifically (the rest whatever) and take more shots in the draft and hope we can get a steal (like Miller is looking like) than move them for a guy who doesn’t really make a difference for us now or in the future.

Rangers are going to want a premium package for Miller and rightfully so. Sharks can’t really afford to move that premium package for a guy who doesn’t really move the needle for our future. Which isn’t a knock on Miller. More a knock on the Sharks prospect pool.
So you think K'Andre Miller has little to no value which is why we should keep the Pittsburgh 1st and pray we get lucky enough to draft someone like K'Andre Miller with it?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Miller does nothing to change our D now or in the future.
Trading for a 23 year old top-4 dman who hasn't come close to peaking, isn't going to help you in the future...? Wut....?

Do you realize how insanely foolish that sounds? You don't need to explain why you wouldn't want to make that trade, you've done so numerous times and that's fine. What isn't fine is the above statement.

Even if Sharks are 5 years away from icing a respectable team, Miller is probably a top pairing dman at that point in his career and still under 30.

Reactions: bernmeister

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
The value is underwhelming. I say this as someone who isn't Miller's #1 fan.

The Rangers also have no need to move him. His age and his position fit into their construction.

Losing him makes their team currently trying to compete worse today. It also probably makes them worse long term.

The way the Rangers are constructed, the only way it makes sense to entertain trading Miller is in a larger trade for a youngish better defenseman, or for a young roster player that you believe has top C potential. Neither of those deals are likely to be on the table.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Miller, for much like most of his career, has been very up and down this year

I’m not to sure I can say he’s clearly better than Trouba/Lindgren/Gustafson right now

That said, he’s still a Top4D on a team in the top of the standings so your point stands.
You’re not sure that the guy that broke 40 points at 22 is any better than “never hit 20 pts Lindgren???”

If you’re going to be this out to lunch, can you at least bring me back a to-go order? :)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
You’re not sure that the guy that broke 40 points at 22 is any better than “never hit 20 pts Lindgren???”

If you’re going to be this out to lunch, can you at least bring me back a to-go order? :)

I'm honestly having a hard time telling if this is somewhat sarcastic or not...I'll lean toward you being serious.

Are you really a Ranger fan and trying to use points to ascribe the value of Lindgren to the team....???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad