Proposal: K'Andre Miller to SJ

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
What would it take to bring K'Andre Miller to San Jose? I think he's exactly what the Sharks need and is young enough that he could be the linchpin we rebuild our defense around. I am sure the Rangers will be very hesitant to give him up but he is due for a substantial raise at the same time as Shesterkin and Lafreniere.

This is probably more of an offseason move but here is my proposal including the Sharks taking Goodrow as a cap dump:

To NY
PIT 2024 1st (can turn into unprotected 2025 1st if pick is top 10)
SJ 2025 2nd
Mario Ferraro
Thomas Bordeleau

To SJ
K'Andre Miller
Barclay Goodrow

Ferraro can absorb Miller's minutes and is signed for 3.25M through 2026. Bordeleau is flirting with bust status but there's a chance he could still become a decent cheap 3C option for the Rangers if Chytil is sidelined long term.

How far off am I in terms of value? Is dumping Goodrow important enough to NY that we could do this without the SJ 2nd?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Doesn't Ferraro suck now? Well not suck but stagnated development wise.

I'd imagine it would start with Eklund. Miller is valued very high.
Ferraro is being asked to do way too much on a terrible team but I think there's still a good #4/#5 defenseman in there. He just needs to be slotted into an appropriate role.

I don't think it makes sense for the Sharks to give up Eklund, Smith or any of our own future 1sts at this stage of the rebuild.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It seems to me as a Rangers fan highly unlikely that we would be moving an established piece for multiple lower-order pieces. We're not rebuilding at present.

In the unlikely event that K'Andre was traded I would think it would be far more likely to be as one of the key pieces in a megadeal for a star player.

Reactions: bernmeister

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Ferraro is being asked to do way too much on a terrible team but I think there's still a good #4/#5 defenseman in there. He just needs to be slotted into an appropriate role.

I don't think it makes sense for the Sharks to give up Eklund, Smith or any of our own future 1sts at this stage of the rebuild.
Don't do Givani Smith dirty like that. :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It seems to me as a Rangers fan highly unlikely that we would be moving an established piece for multiple lower-order pieces. We're not rebuilding at present.

In the unlikely event that K'Andre was traded I would think it would be far more likely to be as one of the key pieces in a megadeal for a star player.
It looks like Laf is finally playing his way into a big contract and Shesterkin's next contract will probably start with a 10 so my thinking was the Rangers will need to move someone by the 2025 offseason for cap purposes. Of course there are other options than Miller but most of them have NMCs.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don’t really see a reason for SJ to do this. Miller is a fine d man but one of those that you pair with an elite to make him look better. We don’t have anyone close to elite.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
That’s an AWFUL package for Miller

Smith for Miller is the starting point.
Yeah that's not happening. I would trade anything other than Smith, Eklund or our own unprotected 1sts for Miller but obviously we don't have a ton of other enticing assets.

I don’t really see a reason for SJ to do this. Miller is a fine d man but one of those that you pair with an elite to make him look better. We don’t have anyone close to elite.
He looks great playing with Trouba who I would definitely not call an elite defenseman. Besides Miller is still only 23 and the plan would be to sign him to a 7-8 year extension and hope he grows with the team. Even if he's "only" a #2 or #3, we don't have any of those either or even any defense prospects with that kind of potential.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah that's not happening. I would trade anything other than Smith, Eklund or our own unprotected 1sts for Miller but obviously we don't have a ton of other enticing assets.

He looks great playing with Trouba who I would definitely not call an elite defenseman. Besides Miller is still only 23 and the plan would be to sign him to a 7-8 year extension and hope he grows with the team. Even if he's "only" a #2 or #3, we don't have any of those either or even any defense prospects with that kind of potential.
I wouldn’t expect you to either on a rebuilding team. Just dont see there being a fit to make this trade happen. Miller is pretty much untouchable for us due to his age, skill and still untapped potential.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s so far off that it’s not going to be productive to discuss.

Lowering Miller’s extremely high value by tacking Goodrow’s salary on would be a dunce move.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I do think Thrun and Shakir have close to that potential.

But outside of that personally I’d rather pick up guys with those two picks and be able to keep them away from this tire fire until they’re ready.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I do think Thrun and Shakir have close to that potential.

But outside of that personally I’d rather pick up guys with those two picks and be able to keep them away from this tire fire until they’re ready.
They don't and neither will anyone we draft with those picks in all likelihood. I mean, Thrun is only about a year younger than Miller and is barely a #2/#3 in the AHL at this point. There's no universe in which he has comparable upside to Miller.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
They don't and neither will anyone we draft with those picks in all likelihood. I mean, Thrun is only about a year younger than Miller and is barely a #2/#3 in the AHL at this point. There's no universe in which he has comparable upside to Miller.
Thrun has been fine. That’s not the point of the post though. Miller is also not a 2/3D with the Sharks. He’s propped up by Fox and Trouba.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Miller has been just OK this season. It all depends on what his next contract looks like. If he's a ~6MM or under (likely given his limited PP time; Sanheim may be a good comp) guy next contract then probably best to keep him.

Else a return would need to be a center. And he wouldn't be traded this season. More likely following next season.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Tell me you havent seen Miller play without telling us you havent seen Miller play.

My favorite is the implication that Trouba is an elite player.
Tell me you missed the point without telling me you missed the point.

Miller isn’t the kind of player that leads a pair. I’d much rather have Miller next to an elite guy like a Fox, Makar, etc. Sharks don’t even have a D that is a maybe top pair never mind at that level. Miller would be useless on the Sharks.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Tell me you missed the point without telling me you missed the point.

Miller isn’t the kind of player that leads a pair. I’d much rather have Miller next to an elite guy like a Fox, Makar, etc. Sharks don’t even have a D that is a maybe top pair never mind at that level. Miller would be useless on the Sharks.
So your point is the Sharks shouldn't try to improve their roster until they somehow acquire an Adam Fox/Cale Makar level defenseman?

Miller would be the first major building block on defense, not the final piece. We will still need to use a lottery pick on a defenseman in the next couple of drafts. Highly unlikely that guy will be Fox/Makar good though.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
For any trade involving Miller, you have to keep in mind that you're not asking the Rangers to just give up a young player.

You're asking the Rangers, a team with competitive aspirations, to give you their second best defenseman.

Miller, for much like most of his career, has been very up and down this year

I’m not to sure I can say he’s clearly better than Trouba/Lindgren/Gustafson right now

That said, he’s still a Top4D on a team in the top of the standings so your point stands.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So your point is the Sharks shouldn't try to improve their roster until they somehow acquire an Adam Fox/Cale Makar level defenseman?

Miller would be the first major building block on defense, not the final piece. We will still need to use a lottery pick on a defenseman in the next couple of drafts. Highly unlikely that guy will be Fox/Makar good though.
Again what does Miller change? We still need to draft a bunch of dmen. We still need to build our basically entire defense. We still need multiple top pair D.

So we get Miller and add him to a team that is probably the worst in the NHL history or at least has a solid argument and expect him to just be okay with it. We move 3 pieces that could be used later to add to our young core like the Kings did with Dubois, Danault, Gavrikov, Fiala, etc.

It’s like adding a luxury pool to the house before the foundation is even poured.

Reactions: biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad