Proposal: K'Andre Miller to SJ

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
From an outsider perspective, SJ shouldn't do that. They should stay path and keep accumulating good prospects.
Miller isn't the guy that's going to turn around their rebuild anyway.
He's not old, but that's the type of move they should look into 2-3 years from now IMO.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Miller is kind of un-moveable for NYR. They're not going to destabilize their entire d-corps by moving a cost-controlled young player that eats minutes. Their d-corps is a lock for the foreseeable future with their #6D being a moving part every year.

Unless they can sign Gus long term which I hope they will, he's been outstanding

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
We are destined to lock KAM in at an outrageous rate, realize he's Brady Skjei 2.0, and be crippled by an overpriced deal and unable to pay someone who can actually play the role we expect KAM to play.
What? Firstly I'm going to paraphrase Dr. McCoy from Star Trek II "WE...are not going to do anything".

The only thing they have in common is being from Minnesota. K'Andre is closer to prime McDonaugh than Skjei. He still has occasional gaffes, however he's the complete package. His board work, stick positioning, and strength are remarkable. As he continues to mature he'll continue to be more selective with pinching and rushing. BTW for those who don't remember, his correct decision to rush the puck in 2022 Round 1 Game 7 OT led to the penalty called against Pittsburgh and Panarin's GWG.

Skjei after getting like 30 secondary assists his first year literally stopped playing defense and tried to be Bobby Orr. It took him nearly five years to get that out of his system. He was never the same after Jeff Beukeboom stepped down as defensive coach following 2017.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
What? Firstly I'm going to paraphrase Dr. McCoy from Star Trek II "WE...are not going to do anything".

The only thing they have in common is being from Minnesota. K'Andre is closer to prime McDonaugh than Skjei. He still has occasional gaffes, however he's the complete package. His board work, stick positioning, and strength are remarkable. As he continues to mature he'll continue to be more selective with pinching and rushing. BTW for those who don't remember, his correct decision to rush the puck in 2022 Round 1 Game 7 OT led to the penalty called against Pittsburgh and Panarin's GWG.

Skjei after getting like 30 secondary assists his first year literally stopped playing defense and tried to be Bobby Orr. It took him nearly five years to get that out of his system. He was never the same after Jeff Beukeboom stepped down as defensive coach following 2017.
I don't know who you watch on a nightly basis but I will bring you up to speed.

KAM and Skjei are similar in this respect. They bring every tool in the shop, but they ain't no carpenter.
Speed: check
Shot: got it
Size: got it, but doesn't use it.
Strength: has it, but doesn't realize it.
Hockey sense: Sorry we're closed. Call back during normal business hours.

People confuse Miller with being a good dman because they see these clips of him chasing down people and breaking up plays. Which he's awesome at. He's a huge giraffe with a 7 foot stick who skates like the wind. But that's not really what defensemen are supposed to do. His weakness is when he is in his own zone with his back to his own goal. He easily gets lost as to where he's supposed to be and we struggle whenever that pair gets caught in their own zone.

Offensively, I don't think he's much more that Skjei either. Neither one is the offensive conductor that Fox is. I realize that's a high bar, but this is what I mean. Fox makes other people better. Skjei or K are never gonna do that. They don't have vision. They can make the simple play as long as there is one, but you're not going to see anything you didn't expect. When they try it, you see that stupidity he tried in the Dallas game that led directly to a goal.

Their offensive contribution is going to be their point shot and based on how well the forwards down low capitalize on those rebounds created or the ability to block the Goalies vision.

To put KAM in a sentence that suggests he is close to McD defensively is laughable and an insult to McD and the game of hockey.

So you probably don't agree with me so time will have to prove who is right. I am standing on my position that if we have KAM with a Fox or above level contract, we are going to be in a world of shit. If I am wrong I will be more than happy to come back on here and tell everyone I was wrong.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

KAM and Skjei are similar in this respect. They bring every tool in the shop, but they ain't no carpenter.

People confuse Miller with being a good dman because they see these clips of him chasing down people and breaking up plays. Which he's awesome at. He's a huge giraffe with a 7 foot stick who skates like the wind. But that's not really what defensemen are supposed to do. His weakness is when he is in his own zone with his back to his own goal. He easily gets lost as to where he's supposed to be and we struggle whenever that pair gets caught in their own zone.

Offensively, I don't think he's much more that Skjei either. Neither one is the offensive conductor that Fox is. I realize that's a high bar, but this is what I mean. Fox makes other people better. Skjei or K are never gonna do that. They don't have vision. They can make the simple play as long as there is one, but you're not going to see anything you didn't expect. When they try it, you see that stupidity he tried in the Dallas game that led directly to a goal.

Their offensive contribution is going to be their point shot and based on how well the forwards down low capitalize on those rebounds created or the ability to block the Goalies vision.

To put KAM in a sentence that suggests he is close to McD defensively is laughable and an insult to McD and the game of hockey.

So you probably don't agree with me so time will have to prove who is right. I am standing on my position that if we have KAM with a Fox or above level contract, we are going to be in a world of shit. If I am wrong I will be more than happy to come back on here and tell everyone I was wrong.
Firstly, I've been watching the Rangers since I was a little kid over 30 years. And I'd say since the mid-90s with the exception of a few years in college when I was out of market and honestly that was during the dark ages, I've watched most games.

Miller is already a top 3 DMan on the Rangers and is an important PKer, gets some PP time (where he hasn't excelled yet), and he's out to protect leads. He's actually not just a fast skater, his strength has grown leaps and bounds since day 1 and why I made the McD comparison is because he out muscles or out maneuvers guys positionally especially behind the net or in his own zone. He's not a finished product and is improving every year. He's already hit 40 points last year (something Skjei has never done).

He's going to get a long term contract after next season, probably in the 5-7 year range. Him/Fox/Lindgren/Schneider are probably the core for the next 5-7 years with maybe Fortescue joining towards the end of that timeframe.

Skjei when he was with the Rangers literally tried to be Bobby Orr after his first season and out rush all five skaters. It took him a few years in Carolina to settle down.

And the Dallas game was bad. Every player has bad games especially young ones who are still improving. I'm not saying you at all however I can't stand people who pick at every little wrong thing Miller does. Rangers are very lucky to have him.

Reactions: bernmeister

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Firstly, I've been watching the Rangers since I was a little kid over 30 years. And I'd say since the mid-90s with the exception of a few years in college when I was out of market and honestly that was during the dark ages, I've watched most games.

Miller is already a top 3 DMan on the Rangers and is an important PKer, gets some PP time (where he hasn't excelled yet), and he's out to protect leads. He's actually not just a fast skater, his strength has grown leaps and bounds since day 1 and why I made the McD comparison is because he out muscles or out maneuvers guys positionally especially behind the net or in his own zone. He's not a finished product and is improving every year. He's already hit 40 points last year (something Skjei has never done).

He's going to get a long term contract after next season, probably in the 5-7 year range. Him/Fox/Lindgren/Schneider are probably the core for the next 5-7 years with maybe Fortescue joining towards the end of that timeframe.

Skjei when he was with the Rangers literally tried to be Bobby Orr after his first season and out rush all five skaters. It took him a few years in Carolina to settle down.

And the Dallas game was bad. Every player has bad games especially young ones who are still improving. I'm not saying you at all however I can't stand people who pick at every little wrong thing Miller does. Rangers are very lucky to have him.
Well than we have similar experience watching this team. I started watching the year Vanbiesbrouck took them to the Semi-finals. I joined this site for the first time before y2k. So I'm not going to expect you to share my opinion, but I'm not going to change it because you repeat yourself.

KAM is a top 3 Dman on this team because no coach, past or present, holds him accountable to the standard other players are held. Other players have a dreadful night and someone else gets their ice time. Never once has KAM been taken off his spot or God forbid, sent up to the press box to figure it out like so many others do.

There are plenty of teams who overproject on a young player and lock him up long term at what they think will be a steal of a rate because they think he's just going to get better every single year.
That's my fear. If he doesn't get better each and every year, you have a problem.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Yeah that's not happening. I would trade anything other than Smith, Eklund or our own unprotected 1sts for Miller but obviously we don't have a ton of other enticing assets.

He looks great playing with Trouba who I would definitely not call an elite defenseman. Besides Miller is still only 23 and the plan would be to sign him to a 7-8 year extension and hope he grows with the team. Even if he's "only" a #2 or #3, we don't have any of those either or even any defense prospects with that kind of potential.
Mukhamadullin . I would rather have him than Miller. I don't know if Miller will ever be consistent enough. Muka seems to literally have everything including an immense hockey iq and great D game. Miller maybe bit more athletic but Shak has size and is well athletic enough. Hes an actual stud D prospect with 1D potential, 2-3 D floor IMO. The only thing that really worries me about him is his willingness to throw himself infront of the puck. Hes going to have to protect himself a bit better or I worry about injuries. He reminds me a bit of Pietrangelo. Not sure why.

Miller could fizzle out, or maybe have a few good seasons wher he scores for some reason, but something reminds me too much of other guys who just havent been able to put it together despite having terrific tools.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

Totally agree. Rangers and fans way over rate KAM. He will never have the hockey IQ especially defensively, and the ONLY reason he has saved himself at times his tools and athleticism. Trouba is a terrible partner for him, but I cant see him ever being more than a project who might turn into like a Poor makes PK Subban if hes lucky. I dont honestly even think hes that good though. Subban was legit from the go. And I am just comparing them a bit on play stye, atheticism, etc.. i see some similarities. also prone to mistakes. Which is why Subbans career pretty much faded when athleticism started to catch up with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad