Confirmed with Link: K'Andre Miller Suspended 3 Games

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Great!

Now can attempted murder on the ice a la Tom Wilson on Panarin result in an 82 game suspension on the first offense, then if done a second time result in a lifetime ban?

Reactions: Machinehead

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Ok with the suspension 100%.

But things like the cross check to Mottes face, which happened to a different team last week too (Oshie?) has got to be suspendable. Just because a guy isn't injured that moment doesn't mean they should let it go. The visual of being spit on is worse for the league for a cross check to the face of back of the head, unless an injury occurs. All they care about is PR and how it looks on social media. That's what gets me annoyed.
How bout the Fiala elbow to Motte's chin? Such a clown show league...always has been.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Yeah I don't really have a problem with spitting being a three-game suspension, and I don't even really care that Stammer got off the hook completely--because as we know, the league is all over the f***ing map on what is and isn't punishable.

The part that I don't like is we routinely see intentional physical acts that are far more dangerous go unpunished, or receive minimal punishment. Let's have some proportionality for these things; if we're okay with spitting being three games (and again, I am) then dangerous hits/checks/slashes/etc. should be getting five games, minimum.
I remember when Avery was with Dallas and got 6 games for the 'sloppy seconds' comment - that same night (I can't remember the teams or players) a guy got boarded hard - hit in the numbers - head slammed into the glass and he ended up being on IR for months. 5-minute major given to the player that committed the penalty - no supplemental discipline. But a dumb comment from an idiot gets 6 games. :rolleyes:

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Ok with the suspension 100%.

But things like the cross check to Mottes face, which happened to a different team last week too (Oshie?) has got to be suspendable. Just because a guy isn't injured that moment doesn't mean they should let it go. The visual of being spit on is worse for the league for a cross check to the face of back of the head, unless an injury occurs. All they care about is PR and how it looks on social media. That's what gets me annoyed.
And since both players said it was an accident and Miller apologized it should've been less than 3 games.

How bout the Fiala elbow to Motte's chin? Such a clown show league...always has been.
If that was the other way around it's a really long suspension. A spit wouldn't even be looked at lol

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Great!

Now can attempted murder on the ice a la Tom Wilson on Panarin result in an 82 game suspension on the first offense, then if done a second time result in a lifetime ban?
If Wilson was a Ranger, yeah. Remember how often Brendan Lemiuex would get kicked out of games for doing things that should hardly deserve 2 minutes

Reactions: gabevh3

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
If Wilson was a Ranger, yeah. Remember how often Brendan Lemiuex would get kicked out of games for doing things that should hardly deserve 2 minutes
The league always has the nyr be the example to everyone else. Players can't do in ny what they can do on other teams.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
See K'andre, should have learned from Buch:

Would have saved himself two games.

Better yet, taking from his old teammate again, crosscheck a guys ankle with intent to injure!

Then you only have to give up pocket change!!!

And Buchnevich was traded shortly after that. Wonder if this means Miller is getting traded soon.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
So you’re better off doing what Subban did and slew foot someone than spitting.

Got it. Thanks refs.

Reactions: bhamill

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
3 games honestly seems low. I know they have precedent but spitting on another human is pretty much as low as it gets. Like somewhat surprised it’s only 3.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
I don't care what he says. Does anyone really believe it was an "accident"?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
See K'andre, should have learned from Buch:

Would have saved himself two games.

It always amazed me how outwardly emotional Buch was such that you could visually read from a camera 150 feet away that he was pissed off just from his body language on the ice.

I think there's a nonzero chance of that, yes.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
It's just hard to believe considering his demeanor during games, his personality, his squeaky clean record as a player, to suddenly do something like that in the first period of a random West Coast game in February.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
It's just hard to believe considering his demeanor during games, his personality, his squeaky clean record as a player, to suddenly do something like that in the first period of a random West Coast game in February.

He's been disciplined by his own team more than once during his playing career. People forget that one of his question marks before being drafted was his temperament.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's been disciplined by his own team more than once during his playing career. People forget that one of his question marks before being drafted was his temperament.
I've forgotten that. Can you remind me who questioned his temperament heading into the draft? I do remember him being suspended for a game at the start of his sophomore season for undisclosed reasons; what was the other incident(s)?

(I'm not trying to be difficult, I just genuinely don't remember this)

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I've forgotten that. Can you remind me who questioned his temperament heading into the draft? I do remember him being suspended for a game at the start of his sophomore season for undisclosed reasons; what was the other incident(s)?

Miller's suspension at Wisconsin via the Athletic:

There was some news about top Rangers defense prospect K’Andre Miller being suspended for breaking team rules at the University of Wisconsin, where he’s a sophomore. There weren’t many details, and when there are no details, you wonder how bad his transgression might have been. So I checked with Badgers coach Tony Granato, who said: “Nope. Nothing major. I have done the same with probably seven or eight guys already. … It is exactly what it is. He broke a team rule and is suspended for (Sunday’s) inter-squad game. Nothing more.”

Reactions: nyr2k2

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Really? I don't remember ever reading such a thing about him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Miller's suspension at Wisconsin via the Athletic:
Right, I remember that. There was subsequent speculation from random corners of the internet that it was either due to partying, or being late for practice.

I don't remember anything else from before that, or anyone questioning his makeup prior to the draft. I could be wrong, though. I do remember Tony Granato, his coach at UW, always talking up how hard Key worked, how he was a leader, using the term "professionalism" to describe his approach, etc.

Reactions: JCProdigy

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Right, I remember that. There was subsequent speculation from random corners of the internet that it was either due to partying, or being late for practice.

I don't remember anything else from before that, or anyone questioning his makeup prior to the draft. I could be wrong, though. I do remember Tony Granato, his coach at UW, always talking up how hard Key worked, how he was a leader, using the term "professionalism" to describe his approach, etc.

In additional to that, I remember the draft gurus saying before the draft that he had the raw talent, but there were questions if he had the temperament to make it in the NHL.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In additional to that, I remember the draft gurus saying before the draft that he had the raw talent, but there were questions if he had the temperament to make it in the NHL.
Temperament can be pretty broadly defined. Did they specify what they meant? Like, was it because he's perceived as Caspar Milquetoast out there because he's huge and not overtly physical, or because there were some perceived personality deficiencies?

All I'm getting at, is that I don't ever recall anyone alluding to any character issues with K'Andre. There was lots of talk about his hockey sense, whether he could truly adapt to defense, that kind of stuff. But character stuff, I've only heard positive things said about him (prior, of course, to this shit).

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Yeah I don't really have a problem with spitting being a three-game suspension, and I don't even really care that Stammer got off the hook completely--because as we know, the league is all over the f***ing map on what is and isn't punishable.

The part that I don't like is we routinely see intentional physical acts that are far more dangerous go unpunished, or receive minimal punishment. Let's have some proportionality for these things; if we're okay with spitting being three games (and again, I am) then dangerous hits/checks/slashes/etc. should be getting five games, minimum.
EXACTLY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad