Kaliyev

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
out of curiosity... why
A few reasons:
- I don't think JAD has had a good camp.
- I don't think Bjornfot has had a particularly good camp, either, but his position and pedigree makes him a higher risk of getting claimed
- Englund has been getting more games, suggesting (to me) that he's been gaining favor with the coaching staff
- It hurts a lot more to roll with only 5 defensemen as opposed to 11 forwards in the event of another injury

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Im in the camp that kneeing penalties become major penalties and reviewable game misconducts. The suspension was warranted. He got clocked, pissed off, got up in a rage and skated over and kneed him. i don’t care if it wasn’t a “bad kneeing”.
Agreed if that’s the new standard for suspending players… it won’t be though.

The story may well become about either Turcotte or Laferriere grabbing a roster spot and not letting go. That’d then create a very interesting (but good) problem.

Reactions: Gjwrams

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
A few reasons:
- I don't think JAD has had a good camp.
- I don't think Bjornfot has had a particularly good camp, either, but his position and pedigree makes him a higher risk of getting claimed
- Englund has been getting more games, suggesting (to me) that he's been gaining favor with the coaching staff
- It hurts a lot more to roll with only 5 defensemen as opposed to 11 forwards in the event of another injury
Both games AK misses are at home, so I suspect anyone that goes down will only do so on paper and stay in LA even if the Reign are on the road. So the risk is fairly minimal I suspect in terms of numbers in each position. Still a dumb situation to be in.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
The suspension would be put on hold until he's back on the NHL roster.

So if he was sent down to the AHL, waited until the start of the season, and brought back up on game 3, he'd still have to serve a FOUR game suspension (not TWO like some are pretending this suspension to be).
What if he's assigned to Ontario after the next preseason game??

So he'd have served his 2 preseason game suspension, then goes to the AHL so the Kings don't have to waive JAD or Bjornfot (in this scenario they'd keep Laferriere or Turcotte in Kaliyev's spot)....

Then don't bring Kaliyev back up for game 3 but actually give him a couple weeks/months in the AHL while you evaluate other players / maybe try to make a trade to free up some cap space??

I love Kaliyev and was predicting he'd break out this season but unfortunately even I have to admit he hasn't looked great lately and seems pretty one dimensional. Meanwhile Laferriere is playing excellent hockey and seems like a more complete player and a good fit with Fiala and Dubois.

I don't really want to F with Kaliyev's head more than the Kings already have but at the same time maybe a couple weeks of lighting up the AHL could do him some good and get his confidence back up?? He's spent the last 2 years in and out of the lineup and up and down and all over the place and only getting like 11 mins of ice time when he has had some stability on the 4th line.

Maybe playing big minutes in the Reign's top 6 would be good for him?

Then after a couple weeks you can make a decision. If Laferriere looks amazing and Kaliyev is lighting up the AHL (over a PPG), maybe you make a trade to free up money/space for both players? If Laferriere doesn't look great and needs some more time to develop, you basically just swap Laf and Kaliyev and play JAD for 2 games while Kaliyev serves the remaining games of his suspension.

Idk. Just trying to think of an option where they don't have to waive one of Bjornfot, JAD, or Englund but maybe that's inevitable at this point.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What if he's assigned to Ontario after the next preseason game??

So he'd have served his 2 preseason game suspension, then goes to the AHL so the Kings don't have to waive JAD or Bjornfot (in this scenario they'd keep Laferriere or Turcotte in Kaliyev's spot)....

Then don't bring Kaliyev back up for game 3 but actually give him a couple weeks/months in the AHL while you evaluate other players / maybe try to make a trade to free up some cap space??

I love Kaliyev and was predicting he'd break out this season but unfortunately even I have to admit he hasn't looked great lately and seems pretty one dimensional. Meanwhile Laferriere is playing excellent hockey and seems like a more complete player and a good fit with Fiala and Dubois.

I don't really want to F with Kaliyev's head more than the Kings already have but at the same time maybe a couple weeks of lighting up the AHL could do him some good and get his confidence back up?? He's spent the last 2 years in and out of the lineup and up and down and all over the place and only getting like 11 mins of ice time when he has had some stability on the 4th line.

Maybe playing big minutes in the Reign's top 6 would be good for him?

Then after a couple weeks you can make a decision. If Laferriere looks amazing and Kaliyev is lighting up the AHL (over a PPG), maybe you make a trade to free up money/space for both players? If Laferriere doesn't look great and needs some more time to develop, you basically just swap Laf and Kaliyev and play JAD for 2 games while Kaliyev serves the remaining games of his suspension.

Idk. Just trying to think of an option where they don't have to waive one of Bjornfot, JAD, or Englund but maybe that's inevitable at this point.
Whenever he's back on the NHL roster, he will have to finish out his suspension.

I suppose they could bury him in the AHL all season and bring him back up next year during the preseason, but that would be extremely stupid over an additional 2-game suspension.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Whenever he's back on the NHL roster, he will have to finish out his suspension.

I suppose they could bury him in the AHL all season and bring him back up next year during the preseason, but that would be extremely stupid over an additional 2-game suspension.
Oh yeah, I get that. It wouldn't necessarily have to be all season. Just for a couple weeks/months so he can get his confidence back up and we can see how Laferriere looks and give him the roster spot that he's pretty clearly earned.

Then whenever they do choose to bring Kaliyev back, he can serve his suspension.

I'm assuming that by giving Kaliyev a couple weeks/months in the AHL that buys them time to evaluate other players, make a trade to free up cap space, etc.

Edit: It'd be one thing if he was a clear-cut top 9 forward but at the end of the day he just hasn't looked great and I say that as a huge Kaliyev fan.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
This has major CAP implications for the Kings opening day roster. He will count against the CAP. Another player is going to get screwed because of this. Blake has to be fuming at Kaliyev for his selfish play.
Didn't see the play...not even sure why he got suspended...does it carry into the Regular season

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Alot of times isolated replays dont show what behaviors led up to the incident, state of the game etc. i think its kinda like like quotes taken out of context- they can infer or mean something completely different that what was intended.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
They might send AK to the AHL to by some time, but eventually he’s going to be back and they will play cap gymnastics then.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Can they even send a suspended player to the AHL? I think they have to keep him on the roster until the suspension is served.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
AK really shot himself in the foot on this one, losing valuable icetime of at least 2-3 games on the PLD line. Whatever happens, get ready for a ton of paper transactions between games. Stupid Blake.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Can they even send a suspended player to the AHL? I think they have to keep him on the roster until the suspension is served.
No, his suspension is just put on pause until he's back on the NHL roster. So, they could send him down today if they wanted to, but when he's called back up later, he'd still have to serve a 3-game suspension.

I forget which player, but he was sent down to the AHL after getting suspended, and he ended up getting suspended in the AHL too.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
They might send AK to the AHL to by some time, but eventually he’s going to be back and they will play cap gymnastics then.
You think they are going to send Kaliyev down,why would you think that? Kaliyev can turn into a Lethal scoring machine with Fiala and Dubois feeding him and playing on the 2nd PP unit! I wouldn't be sending him anywhere,AHL or trading him...he's young with so much untapped potential and scoring prowess...you can teach a kid to play Defense but you can't teach a kid a knack for scoring goals...besides his skating has improved which to some degree was holding him back some...Good Luck to Kaliyev hope he pots 20-25 goals for the Kings in 2023-24

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Yup.

A move is going to be needed to clear up some space. It should be Moore but that contract will be hellish to move.

Likely Arvidsson goes.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
No, his suspension is just put on pause until he's back on the NHL roster. So, they could send him down today if they wanted to, but when he's called back up later, he'd still have to serve a 3-game suspension.

I forget which player, but he was sent down to the AHL after getting suspended, and he ended up getting suspended in the AHL too.

Would it surprise you if it was Avery? :laugh:
I have no facts to back this up, just a hunch.

• Haha
Reactions: King'sPawn

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille