Kaliyev

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
They painted themselves in a bit of a corner but it's not like the suspension forces them to waive anyone.

Tonight is a big game for JAD, mostly because of Laferriere. If he continues to impress he might grab that extra spot.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Hoven brought up in a recent episode that if given the option, he thinks it's more likely they'll go the 11/7 route. For one, JAD is redundant as another center (he would have waived JAD instead of Fagemo), but the other point is that he's heard it's easier to ask a defenseman to play forward instead of having a forward go back to play defense.

Not sure if that's what Blake will do. Ultimately it's just poor cap management and he has nobody to blame but himself. We're seeing the early consequences of the PLD trade + extension.
Not sure why they would do that? Just play either Bjornfot or Englund on their off-side and send down Clarke & Spence for the time being until they make a decision.

If they really want to keep JAD up, roll him with Dubois and Fiala. If they are going to waive him anyway, play Laf or Turcotte there. Outside of an offhand defenseman, no one is out of position and the lines stay consistent.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Not only did we lose Fagemo because of JAD but now we'll lose BJ because of Kaliyev.

Crazy.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’d be ok with the suspension if it serves as a new clamp down on kneeing and other such infringements. Problem is it won’t be. A star player will x-check someone in the face and not even get a fine.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not only did we lose Fagemo because of JAD but now we'll lose BJ because of Kaliyev.

Crazy.

Nah, if I'm another team that wants one of our waiver-eligibles, Kaliyev's suspension doesn't affect that one iota. If I'm another team I realize anyone under 25 is going on waivers before the season and I can just plan around that. IE if someone wants Toby, they're getting him whether it's tomorrow or next monday.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Nah, if I'm another team that wants one of our waiver-eligibles, Kaliyev's suspension doesn't affect that one iota. If I'm another team I realize anyone under 25 is going on waivers before the season and I can just plan around that. IE if someone wants Toby, they're getting him whether it's tomorrow or next monday.
Shut up and let me be dramatic.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Not sure why they would do that? Just play either Bjornfot or Englund on their off-side and send down Clarke & Spence for the time being until they make a decision.

If they really want to keep JAD up, roll him with Dubois and Fiala. If they are going to waive him anyway, play Laf or Turcotte there. Outside of an offhand defenseman, no one is out of position and the lines stay consistent.
Turcotte steps into the line with PLD and never leaves.:nod:

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Well, well, well, if it isn’t the consequences of my actions. Good going, Blake. All these kids getting waived instead of traded

Blake f***ed this up for sure but why in the world does this mean someone else gets waived? Just means the guy that was gonna be in the press box the first two games is on the ice instead.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Sending both Clarke and Spence down only delays the inevitable. Kaliyev comes back from suspension, then what? You'd still have to send someone down to call back up Clarke or Spence, unless you want to keep both down in the AHL.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Blake f***ed this up for sure but why in the world does this mean someone else gets waived? Just means the guy that was gonna be in the press box the first two games is on the ice instead.
There was always going to be one more person waived unless you plan on sending both Clarke and Spence down to the AHL. Kaliyev still counts against the cap.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
There was always going to be one more person waived unless you plan on sending both Clarke and Spence down to the AHL. Kaliyev still counts against the cap.
Yes but that was going to happen regardless. Not because of Kaliyev’s suspension.

1696547375427.jpeg

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Yeah, it really mean nothing other than a nhl fanboy overreacting and projecting worse case.

Even suspended?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Even suspended?
Yes
Yes but that was going to happen regardless. Not because of Kaliyev’s suspension.
It might still happen - if they want to have 12 forwards for the first two games, they'd either have to send down Clarke AND Spence to the AHL OR waive Bjornfot/Englund. Otherwise, they'll have to go with 11 forwards and 7 defensemen the first two games.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
Im in the camp that kneeing penalties become major penalties and reviewable game misconducts. The suspension was warranted. He got clocked, pissed off, got up in a rage and skated over and kneed him. i don’t care if it wasn’t a “bad kneeing”.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Yes

It might still happen - if they want to have 12 forwards for the first two games, they'd either have to send down Clarke AND Spence to the AHL OR waive Bjornfot/Englund. Otherwise, they'll have to go with 11 forwards and 7 defensemen the first two games.
What if he is sent to the Reign?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What if he is sent to the Reign?
The suspension would be put on hold until he's back on the NHL roster.

So if he was sent down to the AHL, waited until the start of the season, and brought back up on game 3, he'd still have to serve a FOUR game suspension (not TWO like some are pretending this suspension to be).

Reactions: tny760

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I hate knee on knee plays but I didn't find that one to be worth 2. I don't think he's ever recieved disciplinary action before, thought it would be a fine.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Yes

Yes but this was Blake’s “plan” all along. Carry a short roster and if the cap forces them to play a defenseman in goal, it’s 4d chess.

I love that the preseason isn’t even over and this choice is kicking Blake in his masterclass balls.

Reactions: BaileyFan

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Sending both Clarke and Spence down only delays the inevitable. Kaliyev comes back from suspension, then what? You'd still have to send someone down to call back up Clarke or Spence, unless you want to keep both down in the AHL.
Yeah it's going to happen, this just kicks the can a little bit.

At least more teams will have full rosters so a claim is less likely once the season starts. I suppose a bottom team with some space might take a shot, but those teams aren't usually interested in a 22 or 23-year-old who is having trouble cracking a roster.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
With Kaliyev out, wouldn't we just played a 12/6 lineup? We were always going to be waiving one of Bjornfot or Englund. We've basically said f*** them prospects, so just rip the bandaid and waive Bjornfot, send down Turcotte, Laferriere, and Clarke, and call it a day. I'd actually rather waive JAD too, but that's another story.

Here's what I would do to start the season:

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Fiala - PLD - Grundstrom
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
JAD - Lizotte - Lewis

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Roy
Englund - Spence

Talbot
Copley

If Talbot or Copley are average goaltenders this year, we are likely playoff bound. If we don't face Edmonton, we've probably got a decent shot at making some noise.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
With Kaliyev out, wouldn't we just played a 12/6 lineup? We were always going to be waiving one of Bjornfot or Englund. We've basically said f*** them prospects, so just rip the bandaid and waive Bjornfot, send down Turcotte, Laferriere, and Clarke, and call it a day. I'd actually rather waive JAD too, but that's another story.

Here's what I would do to start the season:

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Fiala - PLD - Grundstrom
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
JAD - Lizotte - Lewis

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Roy
Englund - Spence

Talbot
Copley

If Talbot or Copley are average goaltenders this year, we are likely playoff bound. If we don't face Edmonton, we've probably got a decent shot at making some noise.
I think it was more likely they were going to waive JAD and have 12 F, 7 D with a full lineup.

Reactions: johnjm22

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3