Confirmed with Link: Kailer Yamamoto to Seattle Kraken (1 x 1.5M)

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
A 1 dimensional player? A 21 Goal Scorer Right? How many teams have 21 goal scorers on their 4th line...none probably...and why are we stereo typing the 4th line players...they should be able to contribute Offense they're Forwards that's what they should be doing Offense and Defense because we are so found of Defense
You're either young or new to hockey, am I right?

Buffalo's doing the exact same thing with Victor Olofsson, who they've been trying to trade for about a year now. Lots of goals, and yet they want to get rid of him go figure right?

4th line players have to perform a role and in a cap era it's impossible to run a team with offense on all lines. Can't be done. Sprong simply had no place on this roster.

Reactions: Fuhrious

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
If you exchanged Seattle's one-dimensional 4th line for a typical 4th line last year, they might not have made the playoffs. That's how good that line was. They greatly outscored opponents.
Well, you want regular season wins and I want playoff wins, maybe that's our big difference.

In 10 playoff games this year Sprong had 1 goal and 1 assist and was -3. Is that REALLY the value to the roster you think it is?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well, you want regular season wins and I want playoff wins, maybe that's our big difference.

In 10 playoff games this year Sprong had 1 goal and 1 assist and was -3. Is that REALLY the value to the roster you think it is?

You may have missed my comments regarding Sprong and the playoffs.

We have to put attention into making sure we get into the playoffs. And if we want a replacement grinder for Sprong in the playoffs then we can nab one later.

This sounds uncalled for.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004

We have to put attention into making sure we get into the playoffs. And if we want a replacement grinder for Sprong in the playoffs then we can nab one later.
Your position on this is sort of baffling. You think a player is going to accept a role where they play 60-70 games in the regular season just to be healthy scratched come playoff time? What player would agree to that?

Sprong averaged 11.5 minutes last season, in Detroit he’s likely looking at 14-15 minutes minimum with a very strong track to a spot on their PP2. Good for him for leveraging his RFA into a nice contract on a team where he is essentially betting on himself to catch more term in a more featured role. He simply wasn’t going to get that chance in Seattle.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Yamamoto is going to prevent and score as many goals as Sprong scored and prevented. Yamamoto is just going to do way more preventing than scoring. If I’m wrong, that’s good because he IS going to prevent goals from being scored against.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

Buffalo's doing the exact same thing with Victor Olofsson, who they've been trying to trade for about a year now. Lots of goals, and yet they want to get rid of him go figure right?

4th line players have to perform a role and in a cap era it's impossible to run a team with offense on all lines. Can't be done. Sprong simply had no place on this roster.
First off I'm an old timer and seen more games than you can count I bet! Keep telling yoursself the things that you do it will make sense to you at least! Thanks for the assessment though cause you're right about something...

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Yamamoto is going to prevent and score as many goals as Sprong scored and prevented. Yamamoto is just going to do way more preventing than scoring. If I’m wrong, that’s good because he IS going to prevent goals from being scored against.
Not sure if Yamamoto is a preventer...he's more a scorer or was suppose to be when Edmonton Oilers drafted him outta Spokane Chiefs. One thing Kailer gets a fresh start in a State that doesn't pay taxes which should make him happier than he's been. If Kailer scores 20 I'll buy you all a beer! He has to score the 20 within one year though and I'll personally come down to Seattle from Southern Alberta,Canada to deliver at seasons end!Good Luck to Kailer hope he makes the team and the grade

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Not sure if Yamamoto is a preventer...he's more a scorer or was suppose to be when Edmonton Oilers drafted him outta Spokane Chiefs. One thing Kailer gets a fresh start in a State that doesn't pay taxes which should make him happier than he's been. If Kailer scores 20 I'll buy you all a beer! He has to score the 20 within one year though and I'll personally come down to Seattle from Southern Alberta,Canada to deliver at seasons end!Good Luck to Kailer hope he makes the team and the grade

He’s the guy to do the defensive work so McDavid and Draisaitl could score. Was he great in that role? No, but in a lesser role he could be top tier role guy. He’s not scoring 20. He’s scoring 15 and preventing 15.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Your position on this is sort of baffling. You think a player is going to accept a role where they play 60-70 games in the regular season just to be healthy scratched come playoff time? What player would agree to that?

An RFA who is told he is being kept, lol, that's who agrees to it. Contract year, prove you can play responsibly and you'll get a big contract when you hit UFA.

You think he'll outscore opponents 3-1? (I don't recall exactly what the margin was for Sprong and Donato, but it was nuts). They didn't give up much despite not having the best defensive attributes.

He’s the guy to do the defensive work so McDavid and Draisaitl could score. Was he great in that role? No, but in a lesser role he could be top tier role guy. He’s not scoring 20. He’s scoring 15 and preventing 15.

I watched a lot of Oilers over the years and Yams was a great retriever in the offensive zone (at least until last year), but his defensive role was not pronounced. He didn't play a big role in his zone.

In any case, I'm pretty excited to welcome him to Seattle, this isn't really the place to rehash the Donato-Sprong saga.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Hope he does score 15 and prevent 15 for the 4th line! He's still relatively young 25 in Sept! Maybe after a decent season he gets more looks on the PP and grows from there. Perhaps in 3 years time after 2 one year deals he has a banner season and gets moved up the lineup

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
An RFA who is told he is being kept, lol, that's who agrees to it. Contract year, prove you can play responsibly and you'll get a big contract when you hit UFA.
There’s a reason nobody in the league does this, multiple reasons actually. For one, you shackle yourself to a $2m+ AAV player on your 4th line that only plays 11 minutes a game, which warps the salary structure across the rest of your roster. Secondly, no player worth a damn is going to want to come to Seattle if you’ve established your culture as “we bench 40 point players in the playoffs”.

He got a chance to “earn a big contract” in RFA, exactly like you describe. Probably told GMRF they were going to wring every last dime out of arb. Good for him? Understandably GMRF decided to go a different way with it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There’s a reason nobody in the league does this, multiple reasons actually. For one, you shackle yourself to a $2m+ AAV player on your 4th line that only plays 11 minutes a game, which warps the salary structure across the rest of your roster. Secondly, no player worth a damn is going to want to come to Seattle if you’ve established your culture as “we bench 40 point players in the playoffs”.

He got a chance to “earn a big contract” in RFA, exactly like you describe. Probably told GMRF they were going to wring every last dime out of arb. Good for him? Understandably GMRF decided to go a different way with it.

Nobody in the league does what? Has a $2m+ player on the 4th line, playing ~11 minutes? That's actually not true at all, I can think of many 4th liners paid that much. And none of those guys just outscored opponents by a 40-21 margin 5v5. Seattle just comfortably led the league in 5v5 scoring, that would seem to be something to try and do again.

Anyways, I got baited into this in the Yamamoto thread again. I'll take future replies in a proper thread but not here.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Nobody in the league does what? Has a $2m+ player on the 4th line, playing ~11 minutes? That's actually not true at all, I can think of many 4th liners paid that much. And none of those guys just outscored opponents by a 40-21 margin 5v5. Seattle just comfortably led the league in 5v5 scoring, that would seem to be something to try and do again.

Anyways, I got baited into this in the Yamamoto thread again. I'll take future replies in a proper thread but not here.

It’s not exactly the wrong place for it. It’s just not the BEST place for it.

Ultimately we’re looking at, with Yamamoto, part of a solution to the problem of our 4th line being entirely too good last season while all but one of the guys who were on it having expiring contracts.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It’s not exactly the wrong place for it. It’s just not the BEST place for it.

Ultimately we’re looking at, with Yamamoto, part of a solution to the problem of our 4th line being entirely too good last season while all but one of the guys who were on it having expiring contracts.

Funny enough I don't see a problem with that and I much prefer 4th liners on 1 year deals, I wouldn't have gone term with any of them.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I believe the Islanders 4th line for a while was one of the more expensive ones with Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck. It is not entirely impossible to have an expensive (relatively) 4th line but it has to have an identity. With Sprong, it didn't.

We keep talking about the production that Sprong had in a bottom-6 role with limited minutes but I am starting to lose what the point of the discussion with Sprong really is at this point. Most of us 100% agree that there will be a lack of offense as a result of this but also seem to agree that moving on from Sprong made sense. So did Francis and Hakstol. Some, like you obviously don't. Which is 100% fine.

We could definitely get into hypotheticals about if he could reproduce the same offense in a similar sheltered role this season on the Kraken but its a moot point because Francis did NOT want him here.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021

This sounds uncalled for.
I don't think you understand the dynamics of the game. You see goals and you think that's all that matters. There's a system, there's a structure, there's far more to it than just scoring goals.

Trust me, we won't miss Sprong at all.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think you understand the dynamics of the game. You see goals and you think that's all that matters. There's a system, there's a structure, there's far more to it than just scoring goals.

Trust me, we won't miss Sprong at all.

You don't know how I approach the game, there are obviously many factors to weigh out.

This after you said Ray must be new to hockey. Like seriously, cut out the insulting talk or I'm just going to block you.

• Haha

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
You don't know how I approach the game, there are obviously many factors to weigh out.

This after you said Ray must be new to hockey. Like seriously, cut out the insulting talk or I'm just going to block you.
Oh please do.

We all know enough about hockey to have a conversation about it on a hockey focused forum.
That's actually not even close to accurate, but you're right, it's not particularly nice to say. I will try to ignore more.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Yamamoto was seen as a top6 or bust in Oilers. While Ive seen him as a durable 3rd liner.
I think he can do well, IF he can stay healthy, the poor guy.
Dont play him high in the lineup to much. He is at his best when he is the better talent on the field.
And he has some talent.

Reactions: The Marquis

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yamamoto was seen as a top6 or bust in Oilers. While Ive seen him as a durable 3rd liner.
I think he can do well, IF he can stay healthy, the poor guy.
Dont play him high in the lineup to much. He is at his best when he is the better talent on the field.
And he has some talent.
Yamamoto will have a tough time breaking the top-9 on our roster. Heck, he may be competing against the likes of Kartye, PEB and Lind for the final 2 spots on the roster. Even though I rank them as:

Yamamoto > Kartye > PEB > Lind

I feel that PEB makes the lineup because he is a "C" who is good at faceoffs. So his real competition is going to be Kartye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad