Confirmed with Link: Kailer Yamamoto to Seattle Kraken (1 x 1.5M)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I love Yams.

He was sensational in his rookie season and then the injuries have wrecked him. He's a tiny combative player that plays at elbow height, so you can figure out what that means for his brain health. I'm hoping that if we use him sparingly as a 13F that he'll be more effective when he's in the lineup. The Oilers used him as a retriever for Draisaitl and he degraded badly over the course of the last couple seasons.

JelloPuddyPops

"Gotta support the team."
Oct 9, 2018
Pacific Northwest
For anyone that likes these sort of things…

Yamamoto adds some PK ability, which is nice. Good “buy low” option to replace Donato.
IMG_3978.jpeg
IMG_3976.jpeg

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Good pick-up as a replacement for Donato/Sprong imo; I'm far more concerned with how washed Dumoulin is or isnt, honestly.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Using these charts to compare players may be a little misleading.

Yamamoto's 4 most common linemates the past two seasons:
Draisaitl
Kane
McDavid
RNH.

Donato's 4 most common linemate's the past two season:
Geekie
Tanev
Donskoi
Sprong

May not quite be apples to apples here.....

Yep.
Only Draistaitl might have the shot of Sprong, none of them are close hair wise to Tanev and Donk has the best name of them all.

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Yep.
Only Draistailt might have the shot of Sprong, none of them are close hair wise to Tanev and Donk has the best name of them all.

:sarcasm:
If we are going by linemates names, Geekie, Sprong and Donskoi easily but Donato over the top in that head-to-head comparison, and it really is not close ;)

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Local kid..low risk..bottom six guy. Basically there to replace geeks/sprong and we got him a bit cheaper. Seems like a win/win

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
Good, cheap signing. Still young enough to hopefully turn it around and will certainly help with the PK

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Using these charts to compare players may be a little misleading.

Yamamoto's 4 most common linemates the past two seasons:
Draisaitl
Kane
McDavid
RNH.

Donato's 4 most common linemate's the past two season:
Geekie
Tanev
Donskoi
Sprong

May not quite be apples to apples here.....
That's included, look at the difference in the Teammates boxes.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Ya he got the buy out so he's willing to play for cheap and prove himself. Should be highly motivated. It's a low risk high reward signing imo.

Reactions: Hocktopus

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Guess this signing is not that different from Dumo. Hopefully a reduced and sheltered rule means they produce at a decent quality.
For another 500 G they could signed Sprong and they take Yamamoto instead well do I like it no but its done good Luck to both players

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Good pick-up as a replacement for Donato/Sprong imo; I'm far more concerned with how washed Dumoulin is or isnt, honestly.
Dumo is definitely shot. Was like -16 +/- or something like that in 5 on 5 last year, but he did face quality forwards. His legs are gone. One of my fave Penguins, arguably the best pure defender in the history of the franchise, but he has taken on too much punishment over the years. If Kraken can protect him, it won't be a total flop, and given our up and coming young talent at D, I'm not bitter about not fighting harder for Soucy, but Dumo is not going to have a renaissance here. Francis isn't stupid, I have to believe this is just a semi-safe placeholder for a couple of years.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Dumo is definitely shot. Was like -16 +/- or something like that in 5 on 5 last year, but he did face quality forwards. His legs are gone. One of my fave Penguins, arguably the best pure defender in the history of the franchise, but he has taken on too much punishment over the years. If Kraken can protect him, it won't be a total flop, and given our up and coming young talent at D, I'm not bitter about not fighting harder for Soucy, but Dumo is not going to have a renaissance here. Francis isn't stupid, I have to believe this is just a semi-safe placeholder for a couple of years.
I don't think he will be put in the same situation as the Pens. I expect him to play on the 3rd pairing. Plus having a multiple SC cup winner like Dumo, is a good leader/mentor to have for the kids.

Reactions: GrungeHockey

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I don't think he will be put in the same situation as the Pens. I expect him to play on the 3rd pairing. Plus having a multiple SC cup winner like Dumo, is a good leader/mentor to have for the kids.
Agreed regarding the intangibles. Dumo has always been a very easy guy to root for. Anything other than top 4 sounds like a decent fit, but he's sure not cheap for that role. I can't imagine Ronnie sees him in a top pairing, but who knows? He's definitely smarter that Soucy, that has to count for something, right?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
But that should tell you exactly how Francis valued Sprong. Completely different type/style. So I don't think it was about the money but about the fit.

I would just look at Francis comments about Sprong when we got him in that trade, then think about him having to take a PTO to make the team and now Francis not even mentioning his name on free agency day 1.

I don't think Francis values one dimensional guys like Sprong that much, especially in the bottom six, and Hakstol also didn't really like him thanks to his defensive problems.

Overall I'm happy for Sprong to receive that contract but It wasn't gong to be here with the Kraken.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
But that should tell you exactly how Francis valued Sprong. Completely different type/style. So I don't think it was about the money but about the fit.
The one thing above all else Sprong gave that 4th line was that he could score off the rush! That threat along produced and had others backing up I doubt Yamamoto will give the Kraken that but you never know...as for fit well sometimes you have to give the gifted some space and more time when they are on...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad