Confirmed with Link: Kailer Yamamoto bought out

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Yes pretty much. The league is full of 4th line players like him. Taking on a contract for buyout for a 4th line player is not a good move.

This offseason has been shit so far.

Why isn't it a good move?

We add toughness, something we lack, Kostin brings that element and we pay the cost of a 500K cap hit for 2 seasons to do it. Plus Kostin is still only 24, with more minutes he may improve.

This cost us no assets other than the one we have in spades, cap space.

I just don't see what there is to be mad about here unless Kostin does not sign.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Yes pretty much. The league is full of 4th line players like him. Taking on a contract for buyout for a 4th line player is not a good move.

Kostin will move up the lines fast he was great on the Oilers with minimum ice time , because the top 6th is packed he has top 6 Potential fast skater hits hard and great shot his downfall is passing . by far has sniping ability I am pissed Oilers let him go .

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Yeah, I don't understand this. Could have given him a shot with all the cap space, he certainly isn't worse than anything we got in the bottom six but has an unknown upside.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Yeah, I don't understand this. Could have given him a shot with all the cap space, he certainly isn't worse than anything we got in the bottom six but has an unknown upside.
I think we're past the point of giving guys shots. I think Yzerman is going to start adding more proven guys that can actually fulfill their roster spots. These rumors about DeBrincat, Killorn, Nylander, etc. Suggest that he's at least trying to do that.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Kostin playing limited minutes on a really good team last year was on pace for 16 goals, 100 pims and 6 fights (that he did really well in, btw). He hits like a truck, was 23 and is a former first rounder, that is still under team control and can actually play hockey.

Hes not nothing. Hes not some crazy stud but youre not getting a guy like that in free agency

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
spector was tweeting about it right after the trade, i don't have the link atm. His camp was not a fan of going from playoff team to bottom feeder etc. etc.
Kind dumb if true. I'm not anti-empowerment for players or anything, but Yamamoto isn't anywhere near good enough to be burning bridges and trying to pick his spot.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Why not? It cost no assets, no picks. Just some cash from the Ilitches.

It'd be nice to have guys in the bottom six that have some jam to them. Remember that last game against the Sens?

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I still don't get why they are doing Edmonton a big solid of removing 3 mil for free here.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why do you think getting Kostin has no value?

You could have acquired him without buying someone out. The guy wasn't resigning in Edmonton, he was going back to the KHL until the Detroit trade happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad