Confirmed with Link: Kailer Yamamoto bought out

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
spector was tweeting about it right after the trade, i don't have the link atm. His camp was not a fan of going from playoff team to bottom feeder etc. etc.

Imagine being unable to stick on a team as top heavy as Edmonton, approaching a level of unemployment and being audacious enough to say that you are too good for the team willing to give you a chance to play.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He already did with Klim Kostin.

giphy.gif

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Too bad.

Maybe there's some better coming in than him.

I feel like the only way this comes back to bite the Wings is Yamamoto going somewhere else and making some decent impact combined with some combo of:

-Kostin disappoints
-Whatever vets or reclamation projects Yzerman brings in to fill spots at forward don't pan out like Yamamoto does elsewhere
-Zadina is still taking up a roster spot to do absolutely nothing of value

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I do wonder with the cap hit thing if Detroit is working on a trade for a player who will make a decent chunk of change? We have $30 million in cap space but obviously need to pay Seider and Ray. That cap hit comment could be other teams being unable to fit Yamamoto on their roster but you'd think Yzerman would have figured that out beforehand. It could be that we wouldn't be able to fit Yamamoto's $3.1 million this upcoming season.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Please tell me there's a significant move still coming. Because buying him out before he even plays a game here, when there's a boatload of cap space, makes zero sense.
yesterday you were complaining about this move for loading up on mediocre depth. Yzerman just got rid of some of that mediocre depth but now that's a problem too?

It looks like Kostin was the player he wanted, and that though it may not pan out Yzerman has plans for the cap space and roster spot.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
So we took on his contract and bought him out for nothing? Detroit should have gotten a 2026 2nd round pick like Chicago did for Bailey

Yzerman must have owed Holland a favour.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
So we took on his contract and bought him out for nothing? Detroit should have gotten a 2026 2nd round pick like Chicago did for Bailey

Is nothing Kostins first name? Thought it was Klim

Reactions: ShelbyZ

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

Kostin was the value I guess, and Bailey's contract was way more so not equal at all.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I do wonder with the cap hit thing if Detroit is working on a trade for a player who will make a decent chunk of change? We have $30 million in cap space but obviously need to pay Seider and Ray. That cap hit comment could be other teams being unable to fit Yamamoto on their roster but you'd think Yzerman would have figured that out beforehand. It could be that we wouldn't be able to fit Yamamoto's $3.1 million this upcoming season.
There is no cap issue this year unless Steve was planning to acquire and buy out every overpaid guy in their last contract year in the league. Probably more a roster spot thing that was worded poorly.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario

Bailey was 3M+ real life cash.
Yamamoto was 1M real life cash.

Kostin is something. We will see what happens there.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Very happy and relieved that he was bought out. The last thing this team needed was another soft smaller player.

Sign Kostin and this trade is still a massive W for Stevie and co.

Hoping for some gritty free agency signings tomorrow. 1-2 nard nosed players would be nice to add some extra sandpaper and weight behind the forecheck.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I kind of figured Yamamoto would get a shot to turn it around because the Lightning under Yzerman's tenure were like the Cesar Millan of diminutive forwards (Johnson, Marchessault, Gourde, Conacher, etc.).

But maybe it wasn't Yzerman.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yes pretty much. The league is full of 4th line players like him. Taking on a contract for buyout for a 4th line player is not a good move.

This offseason has been shit so far.
Kostin fits the Laughton/Barbashev mold. Check out their early NHL progress. Very similar to Klim's. All drafted late 1st/early 2nd physical utility forwards with just enough puck skills to be slotted anywhere in the lineup.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So let me get this straight. We kept Zadina and got rid of Yamamoto.

I don't get it.
Yamamoto has been playing alongside McDrai and RNH and had an AAV over $3M. Zadina has been playing with Pius Suter with an AAV sub $2M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad