Player Discussion Kaiden Guhle

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Who's going to play RD this past season and next then? Remember, it's 20+ min's a game and tough match ups. Savard is the only trusted RD we have that can handle those kinds of min's. Barron was/is not ready. Reinbacher might be this coming season but we will see about that.

Yeah, we are rebuilding and having guys learn on the job but this is not a Junior league. It's the NHL. Sticking Barron there and watching him make mistake after mistake is not good for either Barron or the team.

I like to think they prefer Guhle on the left side but they were out of options. He's the most trusted young guy we have so... :dunno:
Savard will be 34 it's very unlikely he'll be able to handler such load for a significant period of time. He's very close to the mid 30ies wall one season at the most imo.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Who's going to play RD this past season and next then? Remember, it's 20+ min's a game and tough match ups. Savard is the only trusted RD we have that can handle those kinds of min's. Barron was/is not ready. Reinbacher might be this coming season but we will see about that.
Yeah I don't have a real issue with Guhle playing on the right side for periods of time over the short term for the reasons you mentioned but that's a separate discussion. I was just responding to the point about whether or not Guhle would be better on the left side.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If you're the one arguing that Ghule is one of the exceptions to the rule whereas the other guy isn't, the burden of proof is on you.

I'm not arguing that, I'm asking how he's seen that Guhle is better on the left side. The only answer I got was he's more comfortable on the left side because he looks more comfortable.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
I'm not arguing that, I'm asking how he's seen that Guhle is better on the left side. The only answer I got was he's more comfortable on the left side because he looks more comfortable.
Hmmm
Is that something that really even needs to be articulated? Virtually every defenceman plays better on their strong side, off the top of my head TJ Brodie is the only exception I can think of.
Your reply
If it's virtually everyone, then it isn't everyone. So I wouldn't assume it for anyone without seeing the discrepancies.
That and you've been demanding that people come up with what aspects of the game they think he'll be better at when playing his natural side. Again, burden of proof falls on the person arguing the exception to the rule, so you should be listing what aspects of his game you think are improved playing on his offside. Done arguing semantics though.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hmmm

Your reply

That and you've been demanding that people come up with what aspects of the game they think he'll be better at when playing his natural side. Again, burden of proof falls on the person arguing the exception to the rule, so you should be listing what aspects of his game you think are improved playing on his offside. Done arguing semantics though.
Well MSL is playing him on the left side, and a poster said it's better for Guhle's future for us to trade Matheson and play Guhle on the left. It's fine if one wants to think that, I'd just like to hear why. I said in the small sample size I've seen I liked the top 4 of Matheson - Guhle, Hutson- Savard. We don't have argue. I'd just like to hear those posters that prefer Guhle on the left to explain why. But if they don't want to, they don't want to.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Well MSL is playing him on the left side, and a poster said it's better for Guhle's future for us to trade Matheson and play Guhle on the left. It's fine if one wants to think that, I'd just like to hear why. I said in the small sample size I've seen I liked the top 4 of Matheson - Guhle, Hutson- Savard. We don't have argue. I'd just like to hear those posters that prefer Guhle on the left to explain why. But if they don't want to, they don't want to.

Guhle gets hammered by forecheckers more on the right side because he holds on to the puck due to not wanting to attempt difficult passes on his backhand. He also coughs it up more when put in these scenarios. He is more confident skating with the puck in his own end when he is on his forehand and this is exactly what he needs to do more of instead of absorbing unnecessary punishment due to being too conservative and inviting contact.

Playing him on the right side won't ruin him or anything but he is definitely more effective on the left and takes fewer big hits.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Guhle gets hammered by forecheckers more on the right side because he holds on to the puck due to not wanting to attempt difficult passes on his backhand. He also coughs it up more when put in these scenarios. He is more confident skating with the puck in his own end when he is on his forehand and this is exactly what he needs to do more of instead of absorbing unnecessary punishment due to being too conservative and inviting contact.

Playing him on the right side won't ruin him or anything but he is definitely more effective on the left and takes fewer big hits.
How do people... not know all this already lol?

Solid post

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
honest Q: does having injuries in the past make you more likely to have injuries in the future?

intuitively, it feels like the answer should be yes, but i wonder if there's actually data to back that up.
Depends. If it's a recurring injury, yes. If it's separate injuries, it may speak to conditioning issues or putting yourself in a bad position frequently. Or could be fluke. It has to be evaluated on a case by case basis, I think.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
MSL likely just sees Guhle as a better option on the right than Matheson. Playing Guhle there doesn't mean he thinks Guhle is at his best there. He makes decisions based on what he has to work with.
Yes for sure, that is one of the questions of the discussion. Is it best for the team long term to have Guhle on the left or right. Even if Guhle is better on the right, we have a tone of LD's and w we're not sure if they'll bring back much in a trade. Assuming we keep Hutson and Xhekaj on the left. If we move Guhle to the left, we have to trade Matheson.

Management seems to see Matheson as an important piece in the short and medium term. So are we better off trading Matheson or keeping Guhle on the right? If keeping Guhle on the right will expose him to more hits than he's already taking on the left, that could compromise his career. That would point to moving Matheson as soon as possible.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd definitely like to see Guhle get the chance to play on his strong side next season and ideally with a veteran RD that can complement him . Feels like there's a whole other level to the kid that he hasn't been able to reach yet. A better split of the ice time between the three pairings would be ideal anyway, Matheson can't play so many minutes every night and stay effective defensively, his all around game would really benefit from it.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Yes for sure, that is one of the questions of the discussion. Is it best for the team long term to have Guhle on the left or right. Even if Guhle is better on the right, we have a tone of LD's and w we're not sure if they'll bring back much in a trade. Assuming we keep Hutson and Xhekaj on the left. If we move Guhle to the left, we have to trade Matheson.

Management seems to see Matheson as an important piece in the short and medium term. So are we better off trading Matheson or keeping Guhle on the right? If keeping Guhle on the right will expose him to more hits than he's already taking on the left, that could compromise his career. That would point to moving Matheson as soon as possible.
I think Guhle should be the 1LD next year 100%. It's time. Matheson can go.

Reactions: Mrb1p

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

If we move Matheson, I hope we can get a 2nd dynamic puck mover with offense.

I like the idea of having Hutson on one pair and another offensive dman on the other top 4 pair. Each were joining the attack, especially in the offensive zone to create a lot of offense. They made it a real 5 man unit on the attack.

We can definitely draft RD's and try to trade for young players to fill that spot next to Guhle. I'm not sure Barron or Mailloux (or Engstrom) are right for it or the spot next to Hutson:

Guhle - _______
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Engstrom/Barron/Struble/Harris/Trudeau

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
If we move Matheson, I hope we can get a 2nd dynamic puck mover with offense.

I like the idea of having Hutson on one pair and another offensive dman on the other top 4 pair. Each were joining the attack, especially in the offensive zone to create a lot of offense. They made it a real 5 man unit on the attack.

We can definitely draft RD's and try to trade for young players to fill that spot next to Guhle. I'm not sure Barron or Mailloux (or Engstrom) are right for it or the spot next to Hutson:

Guhle - _______
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
I would move Mathison for a veteran serviceable RD in a heart beat, Guhle would be better in his natural position, and it would allow Reiny and the Mailman to develop on lower lines.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I don't think Matty should go just yet but I do want Guhle on the left side. It's a disservice not to put him in the best position to succeed.

Guhle
Matty
Arber

Make a couple of moves regarding who our management team believes isn't in the works for our club long term and bring in a RD or two if necessary.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think Matty should go just yet but I do want Guhle on the left side. It's a disservice not to put him in the best position to succeed.

Guhle
Matty
Arber

Make a couple of moves regarding who our management team believes isn't in the works for our club long term and bring in a RD or two if necessary.

I just think there is a very high possibility Hutson will show he's ready to be an important part if the team already in camp. If so, you have to have all 4 of LD's Guhle, Matheson, Hutson, and Xhekaj in the top 6.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Well if MSL "knew" this, he wouldn't be playing him on the right side, and exposing him to those hits, LOL.
He obviously knows it, everyone involved knows it, maybe you're the only one who doesn't? I don't know

They're merely using Guhle at RD in a pinch since they think so highly of him that he can handle the pressure(not the physicality yet)
Because they obviously want to keep Matheson there as LD1 for now
And they know Savard is not a RD1 right now and better served mentoring a few of our young rookie/sophomore D
You know.. kind of like Savard was doing to help Guhle when he was a rookie LD?

But the plan is obviously not Guhle at RD long term
And yes, they 'know this'

The team is missing an RD1 and obviously, they are hoping Reinbacher one day becomes that

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He obviously knows it, everyone involved knows it, maybe you're the only one who doesn't? I don't know, don't care

They're merely using Guhle at RD in a pinch since they think so highly of him that he can handle the pressure(not the physicality yet)
Because they obviously want to keep Matheson there as LD1 for now
And they know Savard is not a RD1 right now and better served mentoring a few of our young rookie/sophomore D
You know.. kind of like Savard was doing to help Guhle when he was a rookie LD?

But the plan is obviously not Guhle at RD long term
And yes, they 'know this'
Exposing Guhle to more hits is obviously not a good idea short term or long term. Obviously.

Guhle was already getting rocked a lot on the left side. If you think you're going to exposed him to more hits on the right side you shouldn't be doing it short term or in a pinch. Obvisously. That's different than using Savard as RD1 in a pinch where you're not exposing him to injury. Obviously.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Exposing Guhle to more hits is obviously not a good idea short term or long term. Obviously.

Guhle was already getting rocked a lot on the left side. If you think you're going to exposed him to more hits on the right side you shouldn't be doing it short term or in a pinch. Obvisously. That's different than using Savard as RD1 in a pinch where you're not exposing him to injury. Obviously.
And your obvious solution?

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Just flip Matheson and if you won't this year then do it next year. Its not gonna ruin Ghule as a hockey player down the line playing with Math on his offside one more season , although the injury fear is a good argument since he gets hit by forecheckers more playing that side.

Or if by some Miracle next season Mailloux or Reinbacher can play top 4 RD minutes than thats a solution but I don't think its very realistic. Maybe Mailloux has a shot

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What do you think will be different about his game as an LD?
I don’t have a preference personally, as long as he can stay healthy. Only thing I care about for now. Others might have a different take.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I agree that Guhle is just as important to the long term success of the team as the other core pieces.

But if you can't articulate what aspects he is/will be better at playing on the left side, so be it.

I've only been able to watch so much recently. In the little I saw, I really liked the top 4 of Matheson-Guhle and Hutson-Savard at the end of the year. Then Xhekaj-Mailloux seems like a really good pair long term. It would make sense to move Matheson for an RD of equal value. We'll see...
I’d bet on Matheson only being traded in the last year of his contract. So many posts about trading Matheson now, no basis for that. Hughes likes the guy and was an ex-client, not a good recipe for a fake trade.

Maybe someone like Reinbacher eventually pairs up with Matheson to help shore up on his defensive shortcomings.

Reactions: yianik and 417

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Guhle - _______
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Beard-growth potential is very low.

Agreed with everyone hoping Guhle plays lhd next year though ;) Maybe with Hutson in the line up it’s Matheson who plays rhd… His 5v5 is fine for me, all the brain cramps come from special units that I can remember.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I’d bet on Matheson only being traded in the last year of his contract. So many posts about trading Matheson now, no basis for that. Hughes likes the guy and was an ex-client, not a good recipe for a fake trade.

Maybe someone like Reinbacher eventually pairs up with Matheson to help shore up on his defensive shortcomings.
8Mike MathesonD8211516258PQ: Pointe-Claire29
58David SavardD606182424PQ: Saint-Hyacinthe32
21Kaiden GuhleD706162256ALTA: Edmonton21
54Jordan HarrisD563111422MA: Haverhill23
52Justin BarronD48761316NS: Halifax21

The difference in point is huge.....I just hope Hutson can become our next ''Matheson''. It will depend on Matheson next contract. He is having great season in Montreal and will probably ask a lot of money and a long contract. Next year, is probably the best time to trade him.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad